• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BAFTA Awards Show on BBC America

Originally posted by Dan Dassow View Post
    Video of BAFTA Announcement
    http://www.bafta.org/awards/film/fil...09,657,BA.html

The Orange British Academy Film Awards are set to take place on Sunday 8th February 2009 at the Royal Opera House in London.

They even pronounced J. Michael Straczynski correctly.
    FYI, the awards show will be broadcast the same day in the US on BBC America starting at 8:00 pm ET/5 pm PT.

http://bbcamerica.com/content/188/index.jsp

Lee W
    Webmaster
    SFTV.org
    B520 ( http://www.azsf.net/b520 )

Comment

I sent Joe a good-lcuk e-mail from my wife and I last night and he replied this morning that he thought Milk would win. I think he's wrong. Guess we'll know in about 24 hours, give or take.

Comment

Of course I meant 'luck.' It's been a long day at Comic Con.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nazzaro View Post
          I sent Joe a good-lcuk e-mail from my wife and I last night and he replied this morning that he thought Milk would win. I think he's wrong. Guess we'll know in about 24 hours, give or take.
          Joe, thank you for reminding me to wish jms good luck via email. I was rather surprised that he responded, since he has to already be in England. jms also indicated in his response to me that he thought Milk would win for original screenplay.

I believe and I am hoping the jms is wrong. However according to WENN, Gus Van Sant's Milk received the award for best original screenplay for Dustin Lance Black's writing on Saturday.

Comment

(duplicate post from General topic; also posted to the moderated newsgroup)

The BAFTA Awards are going to be televised on BBC America tonight at 8:00 PM
            Eastern time, 5:00 PM Western time. As most of you know, JMS's "Changeling" has
            been nominated for 8 awards.

For those of you who'd like to watch it 'together' with other fans, Captain
            Jaclyn has arranged for us to be able to dial in to her conference call line so
            we can talk about the show as we watch.

Starting at 7:45 PM Eastern, 4:45 PM Western, join us by dialing 712-432-1620
            and enterring Participant Access Code 942763#

Hope to hear you then!

Jan
            "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

In Pictures: Bafta awards

Originally posted by Jan View Post
              (duplicate post from General topic; also posted to the moderated newsgroup)

The BAFTA Awards are going to be televised on BBC America tonight at 8:00 PM
              Eastern time, 5:00 PM Western time. As most of you know, JMS's "Changeling" has
              been nominated for 8 awards.

For those of you who'd like to watch it 'together' with other fans, Captain
              Jaclyn has arranged for us to be able to dial in to her conference call line so
              we can talk about the show as we watch.

Starting at 7:45 PM Eastern, 4:45 PM Western, join us by dialing 712-432-1620
              and enterring Participant Access Code 942763#

Hope to hear you then!

Jan
              http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/7877916.stm
              In Pictures: Bafta awards

The 2009 Orange British Academy Film Awards are being held at the Royal Opera House in Covent Garden, London. Alesha Dixon was one star sought out by the press photographers.

http://itn.co.uk/news/aa0bc4d5b4d95f...c7ce4aa55.html
              Stars brave the rain at Baftas
              Updated 19.24 Sun Feb 08 2009
              Torrential downpours greeted the stars on the red carpet for the Baftas.

Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie and Kate Winslet braved the rain for one of the biggest nights on the British film calendar.
              Last edited by Dan Dassow; 02-08-2009, 11:42 AM.

Comment

It seems that "Slumdog Millionaire" was just too strong...

I'm really sorry that Changeling didn't fare better than it did.

petitbilbo

Comment

JMS - Best Scrrenwriter....

..over 50. My sister called to let me know about this one.

>From AARP Magazine
                  http://www.aarpmagazine.org/entertai...009awards.html :
                  ..Best Screenwriter 50 and Over

J. Michael Straczynski, Changeling

He's already one of television's top writers of fantasy and science fiction; and
                  although Changeling is based on a true story, Straczynski's tale of a mother's
                  search for her kidnapped sonand the corruption it uncoverschurns with an eerie
                  sci-fi atmosphere and dizzying sense of disorientation.

Okay, so it's not a BAFTA but it's still recognition.

Jan
                  "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post

Okay, so it's not a BAFTA but it's still recognition.

Jan
                    True but praise is praise. For 55 he is looking pretty good, and looks in better health than his B5 days.
                    What a wonderful world you live in. -
                    Yeah, well, the rent is cheap, the pay is decent and I get to make my own hours.

Comment

Originally posted by glindros View Post
                      True but praise is praise. For 55 he is looking pretty good, and looks in better health than his B5 days.
                      Joe is not 55 until July 17, 2009. He was born in 1954.

Comment

Any recognition..

from what I recall in his mind, any recognition is better than none. He was floored at being in Cannes and among the European set over there. Imagine him walking down the red carpet here!
                        Even if he wasn't nominated, he would have gotten an invite. He was the screenwriter for a film that was nominated in three categories, that ain't nothin' to sneeze at.
                        Joe is now 'a name' that is bandied about regularly, and granted, his first project out of the gate was a bit off the beaten track, it's an amazing ride still for him.

(OT: I have decided not to attend San Diego Comicon this year due to budget restrictions. So I won't be able to see Joe in person this year.)

I am happy for Joe no matter if he gets an award or nomination or whatever. I'm sure everyone else here feels the same way.
                        "It is what I have done with where I have been that should be of interest." - Georgia O'Keefe

Comment

Changeling nominated for Six Saturn Awards

http://scifiwire.com/2009/03/the-dar...t-leads-as.php

'Changeling' has been nominated for six Saturn Awards by The Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror films:

Best Action/Adventure/Thriller film
                          Best Actress
                          Best Director
                          Best Writing (woo-hoo!)
                          Best Music
                          Best Costume

The awards ceremony will take place on June 25 at a site to be announced.

Jan

Comment

As I'm thrilled that Changeling has been nominated for 6 Saturn Awards, how much weight do these awards carry in the movie business? Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that JMS gets any kind of recognition that he so deserves. I'm just curious as to what kind of influence that these awards have (if he were to win) in the industry and what effect they would have on his future endeavours.

Comment

Originally posted by Truth66 View Post
                              As I'm thrilled that Changeling has been nominated for 6 Saturn Awards, how much weight do these awards carry in the movie business? Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that JMS gets any kind of recognition that he so deserves. I'm just curious as to what kind of influence that these awards have (if he were to win) in the industry and what effect they would have on his future endeavours.
                              The Saturn Awards were mentioned in Variety, Cineblend, BBC News, the Los Angeles Times, and the New York Times.

Comment

Originally posted by Truth66 View Post
                                I'm just curious as to what kind of influence that these awards have (if he were to win) in the industry and what effect they would have on his future endeavours.
                                Not being in the business, it's hard to say but my impression is that even being nominated for a well-respected award can be beneficial to your career in the form of a better negotiating stance ("You seriously want me to go to my multi-award nominated client and offer him that paltry amount?!") to being able to make contact with the real decision makers instead of lower level development people ("Mr. Howard, that writer with the name I can't pronounce is returning your call on line 3.").

Some of this began the moment that Ron Howard bought "Changeling", of course, but I think the award nominations help keep that status in the forefront of the Hollywood mind.

Jan

Comment

Working...
                                X