Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

THANKS, Mandragora!!

Jan
    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Ok, apparently "live broadcast" for the German-French TV network Arte means 1 hour delayed in time - award presentation apparently is already about to begin. But we've got other sources, thanks to the internet, and my French language skills are sufficient to decipher the most important things.

All kinds of people on the red carpet, but no Eastwood, Jolie or JMS as yet.

Those who understand French, watch here: http://cannes2008.canalplus.fr/emiss...-mai-2008.aspx

Here we go - I'll be updating this per edit button as the ceremony proceeds.

Palme d'Or du court métrage - Best Short Film: Megatron (out of competition)
      Caméra d'or - Golden Camera: Hunger (out of competition)

Proceeding to the in competition prices (jury is brave enough to enter the stage )

Prix du scénario - Best Screenplay: Le Silence De Lorna (Lorna’s Silence)
      Prix d'interprétation féminine - Best Actress: Sandra Corveloni (Linha De Passe)
      Prix d'interprétation masculine - Best Actor: Benicio Del Toro (Che)
      Prix du Jury - Jury Prize: Il Divo (Paolo Sorrentino)
      Prix de la mise en scène - Best Director: Üç Maymun (Three Monkeys) (Nuri Bilge Ceylan)

Sean Penn anounces Special Career Award - for Eastwood and Deneuve.

Grand Prix - Grand Prize of the Festival: Gomorra (Matteo Garrone)
      Palme d'Or - Golden Palm: Entre les murs (The Class) (Laurent Cantet)

That's it, folks. Like I said, get ready for some really weird awards.
      Last edited by mandragora; 05-25-2008, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Well, darn. Still, quite an honor for his first screenplay's film to have been so honored by being chosen to compete.

Next stop, the Academy Awards!

Thanks, Mandragora!

Jan
        Last edited by Jan; 05-25-2008, 11:21 AM.
        "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

As they say, the only thing in Cannes that's predictable is that it's unpredictable.

I would have thought that Changeling should get at least the director's award, and I would never have thought that Waltz with Bashir and A Christmas Tale, together with Changeling the movies with the best critical reception would get nothing at all.

For what it's worth, I'm glad they at least didn't give the palm to (not my judgement, but that of German critics) Soderbergh's "entire desaster" or Kaufman's "artistic catastrophe".
          Last edited by mandragora; 05-26-2008, 03:49 PM.

Comment

This Time article might explain some things..

Cannes counts on Hollywood to bring glamor to the Riviera, with non-competition movies like Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and Woody Allen's Vicky Cristina Barcelona. But when the Jury gets down to business, art wins out over entertainment. Indeed, for the second year in a row, not a single English-language movie was honored at Cannes.

Another surprising omission was the Israeli animated documentary Waltz With Bashir, which had critics cheering from Day Two, when it was unveiled, up to the announcement of the awards. At the post-Palmares press conference, Penn acknowledged that he wasn't pushing for Bashir, since there were so many other films that "called out and provoked us in a new way." He added, "I think it will find its audience without us," suggesting that the Jury wanted to give affirmative-action pushes to luminous films in need of the worldwide attention a Palme d'Or can bring.

For the Jury, The Class filled all their demands. It was a praiseworthy "small" film, with no professional actors, let alone stars, which showed up on the afternoon of the Competition's last day ù traditionally a dumping ground ù but Penn and his colleagues also saw it as a great film whose qualities could not be ignored.
            So I guess in other words, the biggest things going against Changeling were the big stars Jolie and Eastwood. It's not about awarding the best films, but the ones the jury feels deserve/need their push to find an audience.. "Nah, you don't need our awards, you're gonna make tons of cash anyway."

Comment

It's not about awarding the best films, but the ones the jury feels deserve/need their push to find an audience..
              Not quite. Penn was quite explicit about what they wanted: They were looking for an unconventional, groundbreaking avantgarde movie, and for a movie that showed awareness for the political times we're living in. Changeling, being a piece of classical filmmaking, however well done, with a story set in the 1920s, was neither. The biggest things going against Changeling, IMO, were that it was too conventional, too conservative, and also too black-and-white in its portrayal of the good guys and the bad guys for Cannes. It also didn't have the political message relevant for the present that Penn wanted. In Cannes they honour unconventional avantgarde movies, and by the standards set Changeling wasn't really the film they were looking for. So it only had a chance of winning if any other movie meeting Penn's criteria were considerably inferior. As it turned out, there were several very good movies in the competition, and some of them did meet Penn's criteria. Consequently, Changeling didn't win.

"The Class" is still an odd choice, because the critics favs here were "A Christmas Tale", "Lorna's Silence", and "Waltz with Bashir". But then again, it entered the festival on the last day, so there wasn't much time for great reviews to spread.

ETA: I've since read up on the reviews of "The Class", and they are excellent. It's not like they awarded the Palm solely for publicity reasons to an inferior film.
              Last edited by mandragora; 05-28-2008, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Variety reports that the Changeling release date has been changed to Oct. 24. It will premier only in a few big cities in the first week.

Source: http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryId=13&cs=1

Also got the final critics scores for the Cannes Festival from both Screendaily and Film Francais:

Screendaily:

The Class 3.3
                Three Monkeys 2.8
                24 City 2.7
                Lorna's Silence 2.7
                Waltz With Bashir 2.7
                Changeling 2.7
                [...]
                Two Lovers 1.7
                My Magic 1.5
                Blindness 1.3
                Frontier of Dawn 1.2
                The Palermo Shooting 1.2
                Serbis 0.7

Source: http://www.screendaily.com/ScreenDai...9214&Category=

Film Francais:

1. A Christmas Tale: 3.2; 7 palmes
                2. The Class: 3.2; 4 palmes
                3. Changeling: 2.86; 4 palmes
                4. Lorna's Silence: 2.8; 6 palmes
                5. Waltz with Bashir: 2.8; 2 palmes
                6. Gomorrah: 2.53; 2 palmes
                7. 24 City: 2.33; 1 palme
                8. Two Lovers: 2.21
                9. Linha de Passe: 2.14; 1 palme
                10. Che: 2.13; 2 palmes
                11. Lion's Den: 2.06
                12. Il Divo: 1.92 , 1 palme
                13. Three Monkeys: 1.8
                14. Adoration: 1.69; 1 palme
                15. Frontier of Dawn: 1.57; 1 palme
                16. My Magic: 1.55
                17. Synecdoche, NY: 1.5
                18. Serbis: 1.35
                19. Delta: 1.28
                20. Blindness: 1.28
                21. The Headless Woman: 0.92
                22. The Palermo Shooting: 0.36

Source: http://cannes.lefilmfrancais.com/wp-...a-critique.jpg
                Last edited by mandragora; 06-10-2008, 01:33 AM.

Comment

Changeling rave in new issue of Sight + Sound magazine

Changeling rave in new issue of Sight + Sound magazine
                  by rainbird131162 Wed Aug 6 2008 11:46:19

UPDATED Wed Aug 6 2008 12:05:48

For UK readers/Clint fans the new edition of BFI mag Sight & Sound features a major overview of Eastwood's career along with a rave review by Geoff Andrews of the upcoming Changeling:
                  J. Michael StraczynskiÆs deft script and EastwoodÆs measured, quietly meticulous mise-en-scene manage to fashion many disparate elements into a complex, multi-stranded but entirely coherent drama .. WhatÆs possibly most impressive is the way Eastwood makes it all look so easy; as the story steadily grows broader and deeper in its import, it still feels like a damned good yarn.
                  The new issue should be available now.

Comment

Changeling to be Centerpiece of New York Film Festival

46th New York Film Festival
                    September 26 - October 12, 2008
                    Premiering the best in cinema from around the world.

NEW YORK, Aug. 12, 2008ûû The North American premiere of Clint EastwoodÆs Changeling will be featured as Centerpiece of the 46th New York Film Festival and Darren AronofskyÆs The Wrestler is the festivalÆs Closing Night selection, the Film Society of Lincoln Center announced today. A newly restored print of Max OphulsÆs final masterwork Lola MontÞs will be featured as the festivalÆs spotlight retrospective. All three films headline the festivalÆs 28-film main slate, which will screen at the Ziegfeld Theatre, Sept. 26 û Oct. 12. ...

Tickets for the festival will go on sale Sunday, Sept. 7, at 12:00 noon at Avery Fisher Hall, corner of Columbus Avenue and 65th St.; Monday, Sept. 8, online at filmlinc.com; and on Saturday, September 27 at the Ziegfeld Theater, 141 West 54th St.

Presented by the Film Society, the annual New York Film Festival showcases new works by both emerging talents and internationally recognized artists, including numerous New York, U.S., and world premieres. The Ziegfeld Theater is located at 141 West 54th St. (Please note the Ziegfeld Theater is not wheelchair accessible. For further information please call 212-875-5610.) An additional Opening Night screening, as well as Closing Night, will be held at Lincoln CenterÆs Avery Fisher Hall, corner of Columbus Avenue and 65th St. Other screenings and events will take place at the Film SocietyÆs Walter Reade Theater, 165 West 65th St. close to Amsterdam Ave.
                    Variety
                    'Changeling' highlights N.Y. festival
                    Darren Aronofsky's 'Wrestler' to close event

By DADE HAYES
                    Posted: Tue., Aug. 12, 2008, 1:45pm PT

Clint Eastwood's "Changeling" will make its North American preem as the centerpiece of the 46th New York Film Festival, the Film Society of Lincoln Center said Tuesday. ...

Fest runs Sept. 26-Oct. 12. ...

Universal's "Changeling," which drew plaudits in Cannes, stars Angelina Jolie as Christine Collins, a single mother in 1928 Los Angeles who embarks on a quest for justice when her 9-year-old son goes missing. ...
                    Gothamist
                    August 12, 2008
                    2008 New York Film Festival Lineup Announced
                    The Film Society of Lincoln Center announced the full New York Film Festival lineup today. Clint Eastwood's period drama, The Changeling, starring Angelina Jolie, is the Centerpiece film and closing night is Darren Aronofsky's The Wrestler (the Film Society's Kent Jones says Mickey Rourke gives "a performance of a lifetime" as a retired boxer performing for wrestling fans in NJ). The previously announced opening night film is Palme d'Or-winner The Class, Laurent Cantet's high school classroom drama. Other films include Steven Soderbergh's four-hour Che starring Benicio Del Toro, Mike Leigh's Happy-Go-Lucky, Ari Folman's animated Waltz with Bashir, Wong Kar Wai's Ashes of Time Redux, and Arnaud Desplechin's A Christmas Tale. Also, Max Opul's Lola Montes will be screened. Indiewire have brief descriptions of films here; tickets start to go on sale September 7.
                    Hollywood Reporter
                    NYFF well stocked with Cannes titles
                    'Changeling,' 'The Class' among entries for festival

By Gregg Goldstein

Aug 12, 2008

NEW YORK -- The North American premiere of Clint Eastwood's "Changeling," Darren Aronofsky's "The Wrestler" and a host of Festival de Cannes titles from Steven Soderbergh and other auteurs highlight the 46th New York Film Festival lineup.

Seventeen of the fest's 28 foreign-language-heavy titles appeared at Cannes in May, including Soderbergh's four-hour-plus Spanish-language biopic, "Che." The Centerpiece spot for Universal Pictures' "Changeling" cements the Angelina Jolie-toplined Cannes entry as a prime Oscar contender, as well as the closing-night slot for "The Wrestler." ...

"The Class," "Changeling" and "The Wrestler" will screen at the Ziegfeld Theatre throughout the fest, which is set for Sept. 26-Oct. 12. ...

Centerpiece
                    "Changeling," Clint Eastwood, U.S. (Universal)
                    New York Sun
                    New York Film Festival Announces Lineup
                    By Staff Reporter of the Sun | August 13, 2008

Clint Eastwood's "Changeling" will be the centerpiece of the 46th New York Film Festival, and Darren Aronofsky's "The Wrestler" is the festival's closing-night selection, the Film Society of Lincoln Center announced yesterday. A newly restored print of Max Ophuls's final masterpiece, "Lola MontÞs," will be featured as the festival's spotlight retrospective. All three films headline the festival's main slate of 28 films, each of which will screen at the Ziegfeld Theater between September 26 and October 12. ...

America is the slate's second-most-represented country, with "Changeling," "The Wrestler," Antonio Campos's "Afterschool," Kelly Reichardt's "Wendy and Lucy," and Alexander Olch's "The Windmill Movie" all featured. ...

Tickets for the festival will go on sale Sunday, September 7, at noon at Avery Fisher Hall, on the corner of Columbus Avenue and 65th Street; Monday, September 8, online at filmlinc.com, and Saturday, September 27, at the Ziegfeld Theater, 141 W. 54th St. For more information, visit filmlinc.com.

Comment

• Gah. With everything else going on in my life, I had pretty much decided to give covering the Fest this year a pass. But maybe now I'll have to just for this.
                      Got movies? www.filmbuffonline.com

Comment

• JMS's response to Dan's post on the newsgroup:

At this point, I'm planning to be at the Deauville Film Festival and
                        the New York Film Festival for the premieres there. There still
                        hasn't been any confirmation that I've seen on the others, so until
                        there's an announcement, I'm hanging fire. I don't yet have a firm
                        date on when Changeling screens, only that it's somewhere in the
                        middle of the festival.

Should be pretty exciting all around.

jms

Comment

• Changeling - can't wait

Hi,

living in a Austria these days and for the duration, I get so little news of projects that JMS is currently working on or involved in.

number 1 = I am please I can catch news of it here and on the web

number 2 =I am looking so forward to seeing the Changeling- I do hope it ends up in the English language cinemas here, otherwise I pray for a EU DVD release to happen real soon.

number 3 = the only true critics of anything produced are the general public - I have been reading the mixed receptions posted here. I can only say go and see it yourselves and be the judge. Just think of all the books, music, tv shows and movies that have been banned by critics (generally no talent to go out an achieve themselves) which have achieved legendary status.

Oh must run - got to check the cinema lists just in case

kind regards

W.Heron
                          "I cleave the heavens, and soar to the infinite. What others see from afar, I leave far behind me." Giordano Bruno

"May the Gods always stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk"

Comment

• Future Showings of Changeling

Originally posted by Jan View Post
                            JMS's response to Dan's post on the newsgroup:

At this point, I'm planning to be at the Deauville Film Festival and
                            the New York Film Festival for the premieres there. There still
                            hasn't been any confirmation that I've seen on the others, so until
                            there's an announcement, I'm hanging fire. I don't yet have a firm
                            date on when Changeling screens, only that it's somewhere in the
                            middle of the festival.

Should be pretty exciting all around.

jms
                            Upcoming Showings of Changeling:

September 5û14, 34th Deauville American Film Festival

September 26ûOctober 12, 2008, North American premiere,
                            46th New York Film Festival, screening at the Ziegfeld Theatre.

October 17-29, 2008, Vienna International Film Festival, not confirmed
                            October 24, 2008, limited release North America
                            October 31, 2008, wide release North America
                            November 12, 2008, Belgium
                            November 12, 2008, France
                            December 4, 2008, Netherlands
                            December 19, 2008, Spain
                            January 2, 2009, UK
                            January 16, 2009, Denmark
                            January 16, 2009, Sweden
                            January 22, 2009, Argentina
                            January 22, 2009, Chile
                            January 30, 2009, Norway
                            March 12, 2009, Germany

Changeling will not be shown at the Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF).

http://preview.tinyurl.com/NoTIFF
                            Original URL:
                            http://www.variety.com/index.asp?lay...117990479&cs=1

Variety
                            Toronto fest adds 20 films to lineup
                            Additions include 'Che,' 'Synecdoche,' 'Porno'
                            By ANNE THOMPSON
                            Posted: Wed., Aug. 13, 2008, 8:00am PT

à Clint EastwoodÆs Cannes entry ôChangeling,ö which will be the centerpiece of the New York Film Festival, will not be at Toronto because there was uncertainty about new mother Angelina JolieÆs availability to participate in a gala premiere.

ôWe would have loved to have had Clint Eastwood,ö said Bailey, ôbut the only way to present the movie in a big way was as a gala with Eastwood and Jolie.öà
                            Last edited by Dan Dassow; 08-14-2008, 08:24 AM. Reason: duplicate text

Comment

• Changeling will screen Sat, Oct 4 (9:15 PM), and Sun, Oct 5 (11:15 AM)

The schedule for the New York Film Festival has been announced. Changeling will screen Saturday, October 4 (9:15 PM), and Sunday, October 5 (11:15 AM); both screenings at the cavernous Ziegfeld Theatre.

Clint EastwoodÆs 28th film proves to be one of his best and most ambitious, weaving the tangled threads of an extraordinary true-crime tale. The year is 1928, the place Los Angeles, where single mother Christine Collins returns home from work to discover that her 10-year-old son Walter has disappeared. A nationwide manhunt follows, but when the police find Walter several months later and reunite him with a grateful Christine, itÆs not the end but merely the beginning of this stranger-than-fiction mystery. Featuring Angelina Jolie in a stunning performance that evokes the great star turns of 1930s melodramas, Changeling is at once the harrowing story of a woman wronged and a serpentine portrait of city corruption reminiscent of Chinatown and Touch of Evil. It is also EastwoodÆs most provocative inquiry yet into the grey areas between good and evilûûand the moral ambiguity of what we call justice. A Universal Pictures release.
                              http://www.filmlinc.com/nyff/program.html

Comment

• Changeling Screening at Deauville American Film Festival

Deauville American Film Festival

http://festival-deauville.congres-de.../programme.php
                                Screenings schedule (PDF) | Screenings schedule (word)
                                http://festival-deauville.congres-de.../guide2008.pdf
                                http://festival-deauville.congres-de.../guide2008.doc

Les Premieres Changeling (L'echange) ... Clint Eastwood
                                Morny Club Ven 12 Septembre 08h30 | Changeling (L'echange) (2h21) - Presse
                                C.I.D. Sam 13 Septembre 17h30 | Changeling (L'echange) (2h21)
                                C.I.D. Dim 14 Septembre 14h00 | Changeling (L'echange) (2h21)

Photo Calls et Conferences de Presse
                                Sam 13 Septembre 13h00 | Photo Call John Malkovich pour Changeling

= = =

Premiere of Changeling ... Clint Eastwood
                                Morny Club Fri 12 September 08:30 am | Changeling 2:21 - Press
                                C.I.D. Sat 13 September 5:30 pm | Changeling 2:21
                                C.I.D. Sun 14 September 2:00 pm | Changeling 2:21

Photo call at Press Conference
                                Sat 13 September 1:00 pm | Photo call John Malkovich for Changeling

Comment

Working...
                                X