Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B5-related birthday gift for my wife?

Hi everyone...new guy here.

My wife has been a *huge* fan of B5 since it came out; it's by far her favorite TV show of all time. She convinced me to start watching it about a year ago, and I, too, have become very much the Babylon 5 fan (I'm only through the first 2 seasons, though, so please don't spoil anything for me!)

My question is this: Her birthday is coming up, and I'd like to get her something B5-related...but something special (not just the DVD set or anything like that; besides, we already have the first 4 seasons!)

So, I'm opening myself up for suggestions here--both for what would really make her jaw drop (within reason--I'm not expecting JMS to show up in person or anything lol...) as well as what measures I would reasonably expect to take to get it (expense, who to write to, etc.) She already knows that I'm planning a party for her, but I'd really like her gift to be something special, and something she wouldn't be expecting. Her birthday is in June.

Any helpful suggestions on either or both topics would be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by Brainwrap
    Hi everyone...new guy here.
    Hi there. Welcome to our little corner of the web.

My wife has been a *huge* fan of B5 since it came out; it's by far her favorite TV show of all time. She convinced me to start watching it about a year ago, and I, too, have become very much the Babylon 5 fan (I'm only through the first 2 seasons, though, so please don't spoil anything for me!)
    Oh, you lucky, lucky thing! All that new B5 before you. I'm seriously jealous.

My question is this: Her birthday is coming up, and I'd like to get her something B5-related...but something special (not just the DVD set or anything like that; besides, we already have the first 4 seasons!)

So, I'm opening myself up for suggestions here--both for what would really make her jaw drop (within reason--I'm not expecting JMS to show up in person or anything lol...) as well as what measures I would reasonably expect to take to get it (expense, who to write to, etc.) She already knows that I'm planning a party for her, but I'd really like her gift to be something special, and something she wouldn't be expecting. Her birthday is in June.

Any helpful suggestions on either or both topics would be greatly appreciated.
    Hmm...that's tough. Okay, let me toss a few things out.

Does she have a favorite character? You might be able to find a convention where that actor is appearing and get him/her to personalize a picture for her. Wishing her happy birthday, for instance. Price would probably be $25-$35 plus con fees or postage if you have somebody do it for you.

Check out Ebay. Not often, but reasonably regularly some rarities show up. The jackets that were given to the cast and crew for Christmas gifts, for instance. Price would be anywhere from $100 through the roof.

Also hard to find are the B5/TNT day planners. There have been a couple recently that went for a song (so to speak) - one for $30 and another for $50. I've seen the same item sell for $150, though, too. All depends on who's bidding.

The B5 shot glass is a rarity and sought after. That one seems to go for about $25 lately. It's rare because JMS asked that no more be sold after the first batch made.

Other actual set-used items show up from time to time ranging from scripts (watch out for bootlegs) to props. Again, the price can go through the roof but having something actually used on the show is massively cool.

Are these the sorts of things you had in mind?

Jan
    Last edited by Jan; 03-14-2005, 08:03 PM.
    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Originally posted by msunyata
      Why don't you dress up as the station and shake your little fusion reactor around?
      Don't you think the blue color mightn't be a bit...inhibiting?

Jan
      "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome!

Originally posted by Jan
        Hi there. Welcome to our little corner of the web.
        Thanks!

Oh, you lucky, lucky thing! All that new B5 before you. I'm seriously jealous.
        Heh--well, to be honest, I absolutely *hated* the first 5-6 episodes, but after that I was *very* impressed and have been hooked ever since. I'm taking a breather before tackling Season Three, but I'm eagerly anticipating seeing where the story leads. Unfortunately, I *do* know a few spoilers--it's been so long since the end of the series, that was bound to happen--but for the most part I'm still in the dark (and happily so).

Does she have a favorite character? You might be able to find a convention where that actor is appearing and get him/her to personalize a picture for her. Wishing her happy birthday, for instance. Price would probably be $25-$35 plus con fees or postage if you have somebody do it for you.
        Hmmm...probably Ivanova (one of the spoilers I know about is that Claudia Christian was replaced in the last season by Tracy Skoggins, who I understand did a far worse job).

Check out Ebay. Not often, but reasonably regularly some rarities show up. The jackets that were given to the cast and crew for Christmas gifts, for instance. Price would be anywhere from $100 through the roof.

Also hard to find are the B5/TNT day planners. There have been a couple recently that went for a song (so to speak) - one for $30 and another for $50. I've seen the same item sell for $150, though, too. All depends on who's bidding.

The B5 shot glass is a rarity and sought after. That one seems to go for about $25 lately. It's rare because JMS asked that no more be sold after the first batch made.

Other actual set-used items show up from time to time ranging from scripts (watch out for bootlegs) to props. Again, the price can go through the roof but having something actually used on the show is massively cool.

Are these the sorts of things you had in mind?
        Yep, that's the sort of thing I was thinking of--hadn't thought of trying eBay, as I've sold stuff on there but never bought it--I'll check it out (and will also see what conventions are coming up locally). Thanks much, I'll let you know what I end up doing!!

Comment

Welcome, BrainWrap! Another place you might try is the store over at The Galactic Gateway. That's a site run by Pat Tallman and Jeffrey Willerth that helps keep tab on a lot of our favorite SF actors. They carry a number of signed photos from B5 over there. Here's the link...

The Galactic Gateway Home

Hmmm...probably Ivanova (one of the spoilers I know about is that Claudia Christian was replaced in the last season by Tracy Skoggins, who I understand did a far worse job).
          I, myself, wouldn't say she did a worse job, just a different job with a lot less time to develop the character. JMS doesn't usually do a straight replace, so comparing the two is hard to start with. Some of the things that Ivanova wouldv'e gotten to do in S5, Lochley got, but some others went to Lyta, some went away, and others probably were spread out amoung other cast members. I thought Tracy Scoggins did a good job coming into a series on the 11th hour.
          "That was the law, as set down by Valen. Three castes: worker, religious, warrior."

Comment

Originally posted by WorkerCaste
            I, myself, wouldn't say she did a worse job, just a different job with a lot less time to develop the character. JMS doesn't usually do a straight replace, so comparing the two is hard to start with. Some of the things that Ivanova wouldv'e gotten to do in S5, Lochley got, but some others went to Lyta, some went away, and others probably were spread out amoung other cast members. I thought Tracy Scoggins did a good job coming into a series on the 11th hour.
            I agree completely. I think a Tracy started out at a disadvantage simply by not being Claudia. Jason's arrival as Marcus certainly didn't get the scrutiny that Tracy's did, for instance. I came to really enjoy her character and in many ways thought that Lochley was fleshed out better and faster than Ivanova was. Remember how stiff Ivanova was for the first half of Season One?

Jan

Comment

Tracy Scoggins was a lot better in Crusade where she played the traditional role of the sexy girlfriend. In Season 5 both the actress and the character were playing a man.
              Andrew Swallow

Comment

Another place is intergalatictrading.com they have B5 merchandise there.But the prices are a little steep.

Comment

Welcome to our group!!

Ah to be enjoying the masterpiece for the first time!

I'm kind of in a similar situation. I however would like to pick up the DVD sets. She kept watching my old tapes with me and finally started to pick up on the arc and how things were tied together. I've noticed on Ebay alot of auctions for the "Asian version" sets. They say they are in English and will play on any DVD player and that the only difference is some Chinese lettering on the box. Has anyone bought these or have any feedback on them.

I tried to ask this on the normal newsgroup but no matter how I try, won't accept my re-reg. Jay said something about how the email address was showing even after removing the Aol hyperlink.

Comment

Originally posted by RGesty
                    I've noticed on Ebay alot of auctions for the "Asian version" sets. They say they are in English and will play on any DVD player and that the only difference is some Chinese lettering on the box. Has anyone bought these or have any feedback on them.
                    Not directly. What I've noticed is that other sellers seem to allude to them being cheap and/or bootleg, but I don't know that. All of the sets I've seen seem to have the same artwork which would seem to argue against them being bootleg. All I can suggest is that you check out the seller's feedback carefully.

I tried to ask this on the normal newsgroup but no matter how I try, won't accept my re-reg. Jay said something about how the email address was showing even after removing the Aol hyperlink.
                    Yeah, AOL seems to be a problem for them at times. Keep after him is all I can suggest because I've had periods where my posts would stop showing up and Jay would reply that there was nothing wrong but the problem would be fixed. <shrug> Another AOL friend finally gave up on it.

Jan

Comment

Originally posted by Jan
                      I agree completely. I think a Tracy started out at a disadvantage simply by not being Claudia. Jason's arrival as Marcus certainly didn't get the scrutiny that Tracy's did, for instance. I came to really enjoy her character and in many ways thought that Lochley was fleshed out better and faster than Ivanova was. Remember how stiff Ivanova was for the first half of Season One?

Jan
                      Speaking of Lochley, maybe get her the outfit that the holographic version of Lochley was wearing the The River of Souls

Just Kidding.
                      ---
                      Co-host of The Second Time Around podcast
                      www.benedictfamily.org/podcast

Comment

Originally posted by thebaron
                        Speaking of Lochley, maybe get her the outfit that the holographic version of Lochley was wearing the The River of Souls
                        Bad Baron
                        but you know,its not a bad idea at all.
                        Sleeping in Light-----Darnit! Shut the Window.

Comment

You can still find the life-sized cardboard standups online, if you look around. I think there's a site cardboardstandups.com - but don't quote me on it. My G'Kar standup was definitely my favorite present several Christmases ago, although it was quite challenging for my husband to wrap it!

If you have room to keep one of those around the house, they're quite the eye-popper. Good luck!

Amy

Comment

I think it would be a good idea to look for some of JMS garage sale items on Ebay...more to come,im sure something will fit.
                            Sleeping in Light-----Darnit! Shut the Window.

Comment

Welcome, arya! It seems to me that if somebody really considers the tastes of the person they're giving a gift to, it can't help but be a success. So what did you get her?

Jan

Comment

Working...
                              X