Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JMS Autobiography-"Becoming Superman" - NO Spoilers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phazedout View Post
    So I requested thsi book from my loving partner. She got a notification saying it had "shipped" on Friday.
    literally shipped, on a ship.
    It'll be in Finland end august,,,,,
    Don't worry!
    "I am sailing ... We are sailing":
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOt3oQ_k008

Btw another sailing: Greta Thunberg across the Atlantic...
    https://edition.cnn.com/2019/07/29/e...ntl/index.html
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/29/c...te-summit.html

And just another example for a memorable sailing: space lightsailing!
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/23/s...olar-sail.html

B5-Stefan

--
    Delenn: "If the universe puts a mystery in front of us as a gift, politeness requires that we at least try and solve it."
    [Babylon5, Atonement]

Comment

From JMS: "Becoming Superman" has debuted on the LA Times Hardcover Nonfiction bestseller list at #6.
      http://projects.latimes.com/bestsellers/

Click image for larger version

Name:	LA Times.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	153839
      "Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017

Comment

My copy of Becoming Superman finally arrived

Real life have been brutally hectic the last year (I defended my Phd in early June) so I have sadly been away from the forum and B5 for a while. The book arriving though was a great reminder to return to the comfy blanket that is Babylon 5.

Comment

Welcome back, Satai!
          "Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017

Comment

mine did too as it was a birthday present i am drip feeding myself one chpater a night. Just read chapter 3 and there have been moments where i've had to book the book down and just.. breathe.
            "There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "

Comment

Thanks Jan.

By the way, do you know if it is still possible to order the signed bookplates?

Comment

Originally posted by Satai with Punsch View Post
                Thanks Jan.

By the way, do you know if it is still possible to order the signed bookplates?
                Not right now, I'm afraid. But a few folks have asked him to re-open it so maybe once his shoulder is better and he's traveling less? Hope so!

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post

Not right now, I'm afraid. But a few folks have asked him to re-open it so maybe once his shoulder is better and he's traveling less? Hope so!
                  We'll keep our fingers crossed.

Comment

Nice review in Fantasy & Science Fiction Magazine:
                    https://www.sfsite.com/fsf/2019/cdl1909.htm

I know it turned out all right for the young Straczynski, but there were nevertheless many times I was on the edge of my seat with real worry for him.

Comment

I was hesitant to get the book, afraid whatever I learn about the man would ruin my enjoyment of his works going forward. There were so many positive reviews suggesting this is a must-have for any writer (which I am) that I finally caved and got it. It helped that Bookdepository.com kept track of my cart and eventually sent me a discount coupon. Shopping these days...definitely not how it used to be. The book arrived very quickly and when I first picked it up, I actually thought it might have gotten damaged somehow haha. That black ink that's supposed to make it look damp and faded felt odd and I kinda fell for it.

Have only read about a third and then skipped to the end to kinda see about certain things I wanted answered before going to bed.

My impression so far is that it is NOT something I would really recommend to anyone who isn't an avid JMS fan. Avid JMS fans will already know a lot of what's described but there is definitely a lot of new info that will make you see JMS in a new light and revisit a lot of his works with a new sense of appreciation. The material in Becoming Superman is dark and the telling--for the most part--dry and factual. In about 150 pages JMS rarely gives you a real glimpse into his inner psyche and that's understandable but it makes for a less engaging tale. The book really grips you where he does expose his emotions or inserts one of his wonderful snidy remarks, but those moments feel rare.

I'll write more in the Spoilers thread later but wanted to kinda caution potential readers to expect a story that reads more like a police report than a police drama. This isn't to say it's not worth reading, but it's definitely not a must read for writers. To be honest, at this point I don't feel compelled to read the parts I skipped or just leafed through quickly. Not too surprising given that I typically find biographies boring. YMMV

Comment

Originally posted by spelldazer View Post
                        In about 150 pages JMS rarely gives you a real glimpse into his inner psyche and that's understandable but it makes for a less engaging tale. The book really grips you where he does expose his emotions or inserts one of his wonderful snidy remarks, but those moments feel rare.
                        There are reasons for that tone. Partly he wanted it to be more of a reportorial tone but there are also reasons beyond that. I think he may have mentioned some of that in the part you read but there's more detail later in the book.

Comment

I'm not challenging his decision. I "get it". But a less committed "me" would have put this book aside. To explain, I'd really need to get into spoiler turf so TBC elsewhere.

Comment

Similar issues here. I have the audiobook and didn't get past the first few chapters, didn't engage or pull me and I haven't gone back to it. This all despite loving Peter Jurasik's voice, and having a vested interest in JMS' work.
                            Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

I heard a very good interview with him on a podcast recently. It gave some perspective on the book, for example that some of the information is things he himself had to research.

Comment

I received my copy for my birthday (August 24). I was thinking of skipping ahead to the B5/Crusade stuff but decided to start from the beginning. Definitely the same JMS from the script book intros and stuff. We've been visiting my sister-in-law over the long weekend and I have found more time to read. It has been fascinating so far. Hard to believe he went through so much stuff.

I have a feeling I'll put this on my Hugo nomination ballot for Best Related Book.

Comment

Working...
                                X