Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JMS Autobiography-"Becoming Superman" - NO Spoilers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is a fantastic introduction from Neil Gaiman.
    I am looking forward to a difficult read.
    Jan from Denmark

My blog :

http://www.babylonlurker.dk

"Our thoughts form the Universe - they *always* matter"

Comment

From JMS:

For those who would like to pre-order my autobiography, Becoming Superman, coming out from HarperCollins Voyager next July, here's a link to the hardcover, the ebook and the audio book. (Haven't decided on a reader yet.)
      https://www.harpercollins.com/978006...ming-superman/
      https://twitter.com/straczynski/stat...93624653381633

There are about 30 photos that will be in a central spread...I don't know if they'll be doing color but either way I always prefer a book I can hold. The rest is between you and whatever deity you worship.
      https://twitter.com/straczynski/stat...95274587701248

Somebody suggested that Neil Gaiman read the audio-book.

Neil is far too dignified and gentle a soul for a job like this. If we want somebody tonally suited to the autobiography, in the absence of Sam Kinison, I think Bobcat Goldthwaite or Gilbert Gottfried would be just about right.
      https://twitter.com/straczynski/stat...96110227279873

Oh, and the title seems to have expanded a touch:

"Becoming Superman: A Writer's Journey from Poverty to Hollywood with Stops Along the Way at Murder, Madness, Mayhem, Movie Stars, Cults, Slums, Sociopaths, and War Crimes "
      Last edited by Jan; 11-14-2018, 04:31 AM.
      "Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017

Comment

Have I mentioned that I'm going to Comic-Con?

Originally posted by JMS
        Yes, the good folks at Harper Voyager will be providing a limited number of copies for @comic_con next year...dunno if it'll be packaged or a special edition or just advance copies, but either way it will debut at San Diego, which I think is highly appropriate.
        Last edited by Jan; 11-14-2018, 04:29 AM.
        "Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
          Lucky you !
          I would sooo much love to be there for that.
          Jan from Denmark

My blog :

http://www.babylonlurker.dk

"Our thoughts form the Universe - they *always* matter"

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
            Oh man, I'd love a signed copy.
            Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

Originally posted by Ubik View Post
              Oh man, I'd love a signed copy.
              We'll have to see how the schedule is. With luck he may have multiple signings throughout the weekend. If so, we'll see what we can do.

Comment

JMS posted about getting the page-proofs for his autobiography and if your device can zoom in, you can read the page (203) he pictured!

https://twitter.com/straczynski/stat...77544961986560

(It's about Norman Corwin, I believe.)

Comment

And - looks like the book is *done*! And we may well be getting a Superman cover, too boot, from the sound of things.
                  https://twitter.com/straczynski/stat...87125821775872

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	20.1 KB ID:	149386
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Jan; 12-10-2018, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Cover's been revealed!

Comment

I am looking forward to this, but good god, that cover is just awful. It looks like a 'how to' PC instructional book from the 90s. The fonts and layout are terrible. Is this a proof or is it actually the final cover? Man, who on earth designed that? My graphic designer friends would have a field day with this.
                      Last edited by Ubik; 12-14-2018, 02:06 PM.

Comment

I am looking forward to this, but good god, that cover is just awful. It looks like a 'how to' PC instructional book from the 90s. The fonts and layout are terrible. Is this a proof or is it actually the final cover? Man, who on earth designed that? My graphic designer friends would have a field day with this.
                        JMS' tweet says that it's the final cover and he mentioned a couple of days ago that DC had approved it. There's an old saying "Don't judge a book by its cover", as I recall. :-) JMS mentioned that the photo of the suit is one he actually owns.

I'm really looking forward to this but I know it's going to be a really hard read in some places judging from his panel at SDCC year before last and things he's posted in the past.

Comment

The image itself is fine, it's just the layout and fonts look really amateurish. It's a bit cluttered and looks very 'self published in the 90s'. I can't explain it much better than that.

I am also deeply looking forward to the book, but the cover design looks amateurish and unfortunate and it wouldn't grab my attention at all in a book store. I think it would actively put me off. At a glace I would say 'bad self help book'. Somewhat surprised JMS didn't call in a favour from a good artist from the comics world to do a cover.

I'll get it on kindle for sure.
                          Last edited by Ubik; 12-15-2018, 08:34 AM.

Comment

Somewhat surprised JMS didn't call in a favour from a good artist from the comics world to do a cover.
                            My understanding from others is that the author doesn't always have a lot of control over cover art - especially since he hasn't been published in the mainstream for quite a long time. I don't see anything wrong with it, but I tend to like easy to read fonts.

Comment

I don't love the cover either, but even hugely successful authors frequently get no input at all on cover design.
                              Jonas Kyratzes | Lands of Dream

Comment

Joe has mentioned a book tour to promote the book. Still working on making sure Phoenix/Scottsdale is a stop. Depending on which stops there are, you should be able to order a signed and personalized copy from one of them.

Since Poisoned Pen is a mystery focused store, I'm emphasizing that Joe worked on Murder She Wrote to the owner...
                                Last edited by sftv; 01-22-2019, 01:18 PM.
                                Webmaster
                                SFTV.org
                                B520 ( http://www.azsf.net/b520 )

Comment

Working...
                                X