JMS at SDCC 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ubik View Post
    Well, they have sets and they're shooting... so, there is definitely movement.
    But it is the same movement, or even less, that has been going on for years. Zicree moved it to being a Patreon project, https://www.patreon.com/MarcZicree. According to that site he has 13 Patrons and is getting $97 a month to finish the project, so I wouldn't hold my breath. But please feel free to contribute. I'd love to see a finished project some day. Unfortunately I'm guessing it will be on DVD and Blu-Ray for a price most of us likely won't be willing to pay. But who knows. Maybe he'll just throw it on YouTube. I really can't tell what the release details will be other than it certainly won't be a wide theatrical release. LOL. I mean seriously, how are you supposed to get excited when you can't find out when it is supposed to be finished or how you will be able to see it when it is done? If anyone can answer these questions please feel free to do so.
    Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Comment

Originally posted by Looney View Post
      But it is the same movement, or even less, that has been going on for years. Zicree moved it to being a Patreon project, https://www.patreon.com/MarcZicree. According to that site he has 13 Patrons and is getting $97 a month to finish the project, so I wouldn't hold my breath. But please feel free to contribute. I'd love to see a finished project some day. Unfortunately I'm guessing it will be on DVD and Blu-Ray for a price most of us likely won't be willing to pay. But who knows. Maybe he'll just throw it on YouTube. I really can't tell what the release details will be other than it certainly won't be a wide theatrical release. LOL. I mean seriously, how are you supposed to get excited when you can't find out when it is supposed to be finished or how you will be able to see it when it is done? If anyone can answer these questions please feel free to do so.
      Oh, I hadn't realised that. Just looked and there's a lot of pissed off people on their old Kickstarter page. I wish Zicree and co the best, and a production like this is clearly complex, but it doesn't look like they've done very well keeping to schedule. No finished product yet, despite people's money having been spent. So, weirdly, they are now shooting the second movie without the first being released yet!?
      Last edited by Ubik; 07-11-2017, 02:06 AM.
      Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

Originally posted by Ubik View Post
        So, weirdly, they are now shooting the second movie without the first being released yet!?
        The last thing I heard with regard to releasing it was that he wanted to do six parts and not release any of them until they were all done. Here is the thread http://jmsnews.com/forums/showthread...=space+command where we were talking about it last year around this same time.

Comment

The last thing I heard with regard to releasing it was that he wanted to do six parts and not release any of them until they were all done. Here is the thread http://jmsnews.com/forums/showthread...=space+command where we were talking about it last year around this same time.
          I wonder how this is now being funded? I mean the Patreon account looks pretty dead. I guess maybe they still have some cash left over from the $221,267 raised on kickstarter? But, surely that has to dry up quite fast once you start shooting and hiring actors, and VFX, etc, etc.
          Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

Autograph signings are finally up.

J Michael Straczynski, writer (The Amazing Spider-Man, Superman Earth One; Creator, Babylon 5)
            Saturday July 22, 2017 4:00pm - 5:30pm
            Sails Pavilion - Autographs
            AA21
            This is an hour after his writing panel so that works out nicely as far as lining up is concerned.

Patricia Tallman, actor (Babylon 5, Night of the Living Dead)
            Thursday July 20, 2017 10:00am - 2:30pm
            Sails Pavilion - Autographs

AA11
            Also same time Friday, Saturday and Sunday

Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Star
            Claudia Christian (Babylon 5, Atlantis), Mira Furlan (Babylon 5, Lost), Andrea Thompson (NYPD Blue, Babylon 5), Lisa Wilcox (Nightmare on Elm Street 4), Aaron Douglas (Battlestar Galactica, The Imposters), Eddie McClintock (Warehouse 13, Bones), Patricia Tallman (Babylon 5, Night Of The Living
            Dead)
            Saturday July 22, 2017 3:00pm - 4:00pm
            AA05
            This is the post-panel signing
            "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

I would love to go to those. Especially the group signing. I'm sure if I got the four of them together they would all love me and start inviting me to those Mira, Pat, Claudia, Andrea lunches. Oddly enough Talia was not my favorite character, but I'm pretty sure from having met her that Andrea is the one I would get along with best. It would be her or Mira because I was a Claudia fan before B5, so that is intimidating and I know Pat is too much for me to handle on every level.

I would so love to have everyone from B5 who is going to be there sign something. It would be especially awesome to get those four ladies signatures on one item. Damn my lack of funds in Galveston! Where's the 25TH Anniversary going to be again?

Comment

Eeek! I made a mistake, I think. Yes, folks, it's possible even for me... Looking at the schedule for the writing panel on Saturday, they're calling it the 'workshop room' so I have a feeling that it will be set up classroom style which takes the available seating down to 288. These are really popular so I'm definitely going to have to figure on getting in to the panel before. That's a Comic Books Legal Defense Fund panel on retailer rights so I should be okay getting in to that one.
                "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

I don't know if we can let this one slide.

So are you there?

Comment

So are you there?
                    No, not until tomorrow night. When I booked I was figuring I'd have to work at least half a day on Thursday. Plus I got a *great* fare.

Comment

Hello, world! Here I am in San Diego! Minor kerfuffel with my room reservation got me a couple of free drinks and an excellent chicken quesadilla last night.

Waking up at 3AM with *serious* cramps in both calves was not on the agenda. OUCH!

Today is JMS' spotlight and the panel where all the news that's fit to report should be coming from. That's at 5:30 PM Pacific time (8:30 Eastern).

Off in search of breakfast. See you soon!

Comment

Sorry about the cramps, Jan. Hope you have a fun day, anyway!!!!

I read your FB post, first, then came over here when you said you post here first.

I'm sure Joe will have many fun projects to announce. Hopefully a lot of those announcements end up getting made!

I'm sure you'll have a great day, either way.

Comment

Live reporting: https://www.newsarama.com/35540-sdcc...ght-panel.html

JMS talks about his life.

His mohter tried to suffocate him. He had two siblings who died of crib death and when he was young his mother threw him off the roof.

His father was abusive as well.
                          I only knew about his father. Damn!
                          My posts are my own opinion and do not represent JMSNews.com's opinions or views. As it's written under my handle I'm "just a fan".

Comment

Originally posted by sense8ional View Post
                            Thanks for the pointer. I spread the word in Zocalo Today FB group and one of Jan's threads.

Comment

He had two siblings who died of crib death
                              I guessed Maryla Straczynski is a relative (perhaps sister).
                              Am I wrong?

Comment

I know he's got at least one living sister but I don't think that's her name.

Sorry guys, my computer's been misbehaving and I've lost two other attempts at reporting.

As you saw from the Newsarama report, this was a very personal panel! But for the news you're waiting for, let me get that first:

- B5 movie: he does want to return to the B5 universe and repeated that he owns the movie rights but that he's working on enhancing his street cred but while doing so the property keeps getting colder and he 's trying to work out how to deal with that.

- Rising Stars: latest script is in to MGM and they want it to be the first film of a trilogy and later spin off individual characters.

- Ten Grand has been optioned buy A&E

- He's working on his first novel since leaving comics.

- mentioned Midnight Nation with Gale Anne Hurd but no concrete news.

- When a fan asked about Sense8, it was pretty shocking. Not *necessarily* bad, but certainly not encouraging. What he said, in a close paraphrase is that the show has "in theory" gotten approval for a 2-hour finale *but* so far there's been no movement on making that happen. Nobody's started negotiating with anybody yet. No timetable is set and with the actors all doing their own things, scheduling is likely to be difficult. JMS hasn't heard directly from Netflix and neither has the cast so he doesn't know exactly where it stands. So far all there is is the note that everybody saw. He's not saying that it won't happen but so far the steps to make it real haven't happened yet.

More later about the emotional stories JMS told.

Jan

Comment

Working...
                                X