The Big Bang Theory filk episode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Big Bang Theory filk episode

jms has stated that he strongly dislikes filk. This led some of us to compose Babylon 5 filk.

The latest episode of The Big Bang Theory: The 2003 Approximation (12 Oct. 2015) has Raj and Howard compose and perform the filk song: “Hammer and Whip: The Untold Story of Thor vs. Indiana Jones”. I'm fairly certain that Joe would cringe watching this episode.

Raj & Howard - Thor and Dr. Jones - The Big Bang Theory
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbY_IfcKM9s

The Big Bang Theory Recap: What the Filk Is Happening?
    http://www.vulture.com/2015/10/big-b...episode-4.html
    Last edited by Dan Dassow; 10-15-2015, 12:17 AM. Reason: post munched

God, I hate the Big Bang Theory. I find it a really crass take on nerd culture. Sort of like Friends but with a million bad cliches based on the things I love.
    Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

Thanks, Dan. Had no idea there was so much B5 filk!

I like Big Bang. Certainly they're caricatures but isn't that what most comedy is based on - exaggerated reality? I've enjoyed seeing the characters change over time, too.

Jan
      Last edited by Jan; 10-15-2015, 04:34 AM.
      "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

I love it too. Especially because all of the characters, other than Sheldon, like Babylon 5.

I do see Ubik's point, but I think it has definitely made "nerd culture" more popular and made many nerds come out of the closet, to steal a euphemism. On the flip side of that, I think making "nerd culture" more popular has a direct relationship to why Conventions are getting so expensive and prevalent. Promoters smell money in the water and are trying to capitalize. Good/bad, I can't decide. Yeah it is nice that it seems they are showing up more often than ever, but what is the point if I can't afford to do what I want?!
        Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Comment

I may have a skewed view of how expensive cons are because I automatically compare to Disney. The cheapest a FL resident can get without buying a seasonal/annual pass is $308.00 including parking. Compare that to $220.00 for SDCC and they have a shuttle to & from the hotels 24 hours a day included and you'll see where I'm coming from. But then, I'm also not interested in hanging out in dealer's rooms so that's a savings, too.

Jan
          "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
            I may have a skewed view of how expensive cons are because I automatically compare to Disney. The cheapest a FL resident can get without buying a seasonal/annual pass is $308.00 including parking. ...

Jan
            That makes the idea of holding a Babylon 5 convention at Disney World much more expensive than I would have expected.

Comment

Keep in mind that that's the equvalent of SDCC, 4 days. But yeah, it's not cheap.

Jan

Comment

Working...
              X