You gotta read this - Space City Comic Con 2015 in Houston, TX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You gotta read this - Space City Comic Con 2015 in Houston, TX

So here is an update on Space City Comic Con 2015 . . . The First Day!

My first stop was a visit to Marshall R. Teague’s booth. It went great until I mentioned the sword, which was not present because this was not a large Babylon 5 cast reunion Con. As soon as I started to talk about it, I got to hear about how only one other person has ever touched the sword or ever will. Apparently that person is a man named Jan (BabylonLurker). I couldn’t believe it! Not only was I not going to get a chance to one-up BabylonLurker’s picture with the sword because Mr. Teague didn’t bring it, but he was telling me that, even if he had, I wouldn’t have gotten to touch it. We laughed a lot about it, but basically I got to hear what a sweet man Jan (BabylonLurker) is and that I was not. I mean seriously people – Ta’Lon was saying BabylonLurker is better than me, right?!

And that is not the end of the story. The first celebrity panel of Space City COMIC Con 2015 was hosted by one Marshall R. Teague, which I think might have been the case in 2014. Unlike 2014, however, there were more of Marshall’s non-B5 fans in attendance so the panel wasn’t nearly as B5 centered as this attendee would have liked it to be. There was plenty of B5 talk, but a couple of people had the audacity to bring up Marshall’s work on Star Trek and even his work with Michael Bay! . . . LOL (BTW, he had nothing but glowing accolades for Mr. Bay, so I guess the person is better than the finished product. IMO)

Which brings me to one of the Babylon 5 stories that was told during the panel. You know it, it is the one about a “WONDERFUL MAN NAMED JAN” . . . seriously. I am not joking. Marshall R. Teague, the Ta’Lon we all know and love, stood up in front of a crowded room and told them how the sword had only ever been touched by one other man and he was a “WONDERFUL MAN NAMED JAN”. He then chuckled and pointed to me when my whispered voice from the front row said, “Stop rubbing it in!” He then mentioned Jan again. I believe he said “dearly sweet” this time, but I was only thinking about how great it would be for one of my favorite people from B5 to randomly mention to a crowd how wonderful I was.

The biggest part of this is that it was totally unprompted. As far as I know BabylonLurker is an ocean away from Houston, Texas right now. And it wasn’t prompted by him seeing me again either. I think it has become part of the lore of the sword because that is how it came out. Mr. Teague started talking about the honor of Ta’Lon which led to describing what the sword was, what it represented, and how he made it. That is when he said “Only one other man has ever touched it.” and proceeded to tell the audience about his good buddy Jan. I only came into the conversation when he heard me react.

So basically the main Babylon 5 news from Space City Comic Con 2015 Day One is that one of our own, BabylonLurker (Jan from Denmark) has become an actual part of Babylon 5 history . . . . and I am so incredibly jealous I can’t stand it. I mean the fact I didn’t get a picture with the sword in 2014 was bad enough, now I have to live with this.

So I am off to get ready for day two. I wonder if BabylonLurker will get a random shout-out from William Shatner during his panel today. It wouldn’t surprise me in the least.

P.S. Gigi Edgley http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0249319/?ref_=nv_sr_1 and Vernon Wells http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0920460/?ref_=nv_sr_2 are great in panels. I highly recommend trying to meet both of them at a Con.
    Last edited by Looney; 07-31-2015, 04:38 PM. Reason: Edit
    Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Originally posted by Looney View Post
    So here is an update on Space City Comic Con 2015 . . . The First Day!

So basically the main Babylon 5 news from Space City Comic Con 2015 Day One is that one of our own, BabylonLurker (Jan from Denmark) has become an actual part of Babylon 5 history . . . . and I am so incredibly jealous I can't stand it
    ...looks like the forum keeps mangling my response, so here comes again.

Yes, I am an ocean away
    "... become an actual part of B5 history..."

Wow ! I am as surprised as you are, Looney. I knew that I shared a special moment with Marshall, but did not expect anything like what you describe.
    Had I been there I would have been more than a bit embarrased at that description.
    Oh, and there will be no Shatner shout-out, though. Only saw him at at Q&A at Fedcon in Germany
    Last edited by babylonlurker; 07-25-2015, 11:08 AM. Reason: updated
    Jan from Denmark

My blog :

http://www.babylonlurker.dk

"Our thoughts form the Universe - they *always* matter"

Comment

Wow, you're famous, Jan! And to think that it all started (I think) when Marshall introduced himself to us in the elevator after dinner that day. The rest is truly history!

Thanks for sharing, Looney!

(oh, and when you see that your post is munched, hit the back button, copy your post, then you can edit the munched post without having to retype.)

Jan
      "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
        Wow, you're famous, Jan! And to think that it all started (I think) when Marshall introduced himself to us in the elevator after dinner that day. The rest is truly history!

Thanks for sharing, Looney!

Jan
        What can I say, Jan, this has grown beyond my wildest expectations ... and yes, it all started with a meeting in an elevator.

- and Looney, I can understand the disappointment ...
        Jan from Denmark

My blog :

Comment

Originally posted by babylonlurker View Post
          What can I say, Jan, this has grown beyond my wildest expectations ... and yes, it all started with a meeting in an elevator.

- and Looney, I can understand the disappointment ...
          Yes it was a crushing blow. Sorry I have been so quiet all week. Just trying to catch up and I have been having some internet issues. I've actually written a long account of my day two and day three experiences, but I doubt many of you are interested so I'll try to come up with abbreviated versions when I have time. Needless to say it was a Con, so there were a lot of highs, a few lows, and a whole lot of out-of-pocket expenses.
          Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Comment

Originally posted by Looney View Post
            Yes it was a crushing blow. Sorry I have been so quiet all week. Just trying to catch up and I have been having some internet issues. I've actually written a long account of my day two and day three experiences, but I doubt many of you are interested so I'll try to come up with abbreviated versions when I have time. Needless to say it was a Con, so there were a lot of highs, a few lows, and a whole lot of out-of-pocket expenses.
            Looking forward to more, Looney. Convention experiences is always fun.

Mind you Marshall told me that you were not the only one mentioning the story about the sword. Here is my exchange is on his FB page :

Marshall R. Teague : "Chatted about you today! Good B5 stories"

Jan Andersen : "Wow ! I made into a story "

Marshall R. Teague : "Several!! The one & only to 'draw the sword' everyone was buzzing about that story from Galveston"

BTW I know that others did touch the sword, but I was the only one to *draw* it - so don't be too disappointed.
            Jan from Denmark

My blog :

Comment

Working...
            X