JMS & B5 Cast at SDCC 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nastastu View Post
    I know I for one appreciate the information. I don't know how long I could stand the sea of people.
    Sea of people is an apt description. But as long as you're not stressing about getting someplace, I don't have a problem. Actually, I enjoy all the people-watching. Don't even mind standing in line all that much since you're pretty certain to be among people who share your interest.

JMS' spotlight panel has been announced now:

Spotlight on J. Michael Straczynski
    Born a small woodland creature, J. Michael Straczynski soon evolved into a marsupial life form that was bewitched by a passing elf into human form, conferring on him an Eisner, two Hugos, a British Academy Award nomination, and a career slamming words together for a living. Join him for a discussion of TV (including Sense8), movies, comics, and some surprising upcoming projects.
    Saturday July 11, 2015 5:00pm - 6:00pm
    Room 29AB
    Here's the reunion info that Pat Tallman's been posting about. Never been to this theater.

Babble on with the Cast of Babylon 5
    Celebrating their 20 years of Sci-fi TV history, castmates Bruce Boxleitner (Sheridan),Claudia Christian (Ivanova), Mira Furlan (Delenn), Peter Jurasik (Londo), Bill Mumy(Lennier), Jerry Doyle (Garibaldi), Stephen Furst (Vir), Patricia Tallman (Lyta), Robin Atkin Downes (Byron), and some surprise guests from the Hugo award-winning seriesBabylon 5 talk about their time on the show and what's happening now.
    Saturday July 11, 2015 2:00pm - 3:00pm
    Horton Grand Theatre
    ETA: This will need to be watched. First, I find at least one other panel at that time in that theater - and it's a 250-seat theater, not a multiplex! And it's also a ticketed event which means you get in line hoping to win the lottery to get a ticket (though sometimes it's a straight hand-out) hours before the event. Sigh...

This isn't turning out to be in any order... Pat Tallman will be part of a cosplay panel:

Over30Cosplay: Cosplay for Every Age
    John D. Callison (cosplayer, founder of Over30Cosplay), Bill Waters (national geek culture reporter/photographer, Examiner.com; editor/photographer, ComicsOnline),Patrica Tallman (actress best known for Lyta on Babylon 5 and Barbara from Night of the Living Dead), Alfredo Garcia (cosplayer since 1988, founding member Over30Cosplay), Anastasia Hunter (master level costumer, chair of Gaslight Gathering), April Wahlin (reality TV show winner for Search for the Next Elvira, actress, crafter, horror hostess, author, epic nerd), Ian Whyte (cosplayer, founding member Over30Cosplay), and Jennifer Vos (admin, Over30Cosplay; twitch.tv streamer; actress/model, Playboy) discuss topics appealing to the older cosplay crowd, including costume choice, dating, marriage, couples/family cosplay, societal moors/impact, marketing to the older cosplayer, social media and older cosplayers, bullying of older cosplayers, and the age of Hollywood characters and the impact on cosplay choices.
    Friday July 10, 2015 8:00pm - 9:00pm
    Room 14A
    So far I find a signing but no panel for Lantern City:

Saturday, July 11 at 1:00 PM the Creators of #LanternCity and Special Guests will be signing our comic at the BOOM! Studios Booth #2229 to include:

- TREVOR CRAFTS - Creator
    - BRUCE BOXLEITNER - Co-Creator
    - MATTHEW DALEY - Co-Creator & Writer
    - MIRA FURLAN - Actress, Martha Ellen Grey
    - THOMAS WILLEFORD - Creative Contributor & Designer
    - JAKE WYATT - Cover Artist for Lantern City #2 Variant

In addition to this fantastic crew an EXCLUSIVE variant cover for LANTERN CITY Issue #2 will be offered at Comic Con that features an image of Isaac Foster Grey, the man who built Lantern City portrayed by non other than our own Bruce Boxleitner!

Citizens rejoice and join us in San Diego! — with Trevor Crafts and Bruce Boxleitner.
    Jan
    Last edited by Jan; 06-27-2015, 02:25 PM.
    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

JMS tweeted his panel info and added

Originally posted by JMS
      (Also: I sign Saturday at 3 at AA18.)
      He mentioned that the Sense8 panel will be just himself.

Jan
      "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
        JMS tweeted his panel info and added

He mentioned that the Sense8 panel will be just himself.

Jan
        A shame. Seems like a missed opportunity to really promote the show, with cast members and the like. Not that Joe on his own will be any less entertaining, but still... would have thought Netflix would want a bigger presence at SDCC.
        Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

Originally posted by Ubik View Post
          A shame. Seems like a missed opportunity to really promote the show, with cast members and the like. Not that Joe on his own will be any less entertaining, but still... would have thought Netflix would want a bigger presence at SDCC.
          Netflix has never been to SDCC so this was to be an informal/unofficial panel from the start. It's quite in keeping with JMS' past policy of being accessible to the fans, though.

As it is, I just noticed that if memory serves, I think the Sense8 panel is in a bigger room than JMS' spotlight panel. Will have to check on that later on.

ETA: Yeah, as I feared. 5AB where the Sense8 panel is holds 504 theater style and 29AB only holds 336.

Jan
          Last edited by Jan; 06-29-2015, 05:55 AM.

Comment

Just verified that there's no panel for Lantern City this year at SDCC:

Originally posted by Lantern City
            No Panel this year - just our signing at BOOM! Booth at #2229 on July 11 at 1 PM and our presence at Brute Force Studios Booth over the weekend
            In answer to my question on FB.

Jan

Comment

According to Trevor Crafts, Bruce and Mira will be at that Lantern City #3 booth signing.
              Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Comment

(Venting) Correct me if I am wrong but aren't SDCC tickets next to impossible to get?! If I wanted them for next year wouldn't I need to start trying to get them now?! My point is that it is really annoying to read there is going to be all this B5 stuff happening this year now when I would have had to buy the tickets many moons ago and hope this B5 stuff would be going on. Yes I know it has been known for quite some time that JMS is going to be there, but even with him it was an issue.

Jan, am I correct that you started trying to get tickets before you officially knew JMS was going to be there or was it right after you learned?

Am I wrong? Could I have gotten any tickets I wanted, say, last month when I learned Bruce and Team Lantern City were going to be there as well as JMS? Or as soon as I recently learned Mira and Pat are going to be there as well? (End Vent)
                Last edited by Looney; 06-30-2015, 10:14 AM.
                Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Comment

Comic-Con tickets go on sale and are completely sold out long before they announce any guests at all. So yeah, it's a gamble. And since I went through the process of getting a panel last year, I can tell you that panels weren't confirmed until long after everything was sold. out.

Tickets are refundable (less 10%, I think) up to a point but I still was gambling that JMS would be there. I can't remember when he wasn't.

SDCC takes one hell of a commitment! You have to pretty much win the lottery. For instance (shhhh....don't tell anyone) I've only got a purchased ticket for Sunday. For Thursday, Friday and Saturday, I've thankfully had the help of fellow fans or I'd've been out of luck.

So the short answer to your question is - yeah, they're practically impossible to get. If you're interested for next year, though, touch base with me after this one and I'll try to help guide you. Believe me, you need a guide!

Jan

Comment

They moved JMS' Sense8 panel to Friday:

Originally posted by JMS
                    The ‪#‎sense8‬ panel (an informal chat with me and thee, no cast scheduled at this time) moved to Friday: http://comiccon2015.sched.org/…/cab0...4585ef3…
                    Figures - I jumped through hoops to get Thursday off of work...

Jan

Comment

Jan
                      and here I thought this was your job.

Comment

Jan
                        Jan,

Think of the bright side; you will have time to recover from jet lag and be able to enjoy Joe's panel even more.

Comment

Originally posted by Nastastu View Post
                          and here I thought this was your job.
                          Alas, while all of you shower me with love, that's not quite the same as showering me with the sheckles I need for my food/clothing/shelter addiction.

Originally posted by Dan Dassow View Post
                          Jan,

Think of the bright side; you will have time to recover from jet lag and be able to enjoy Joe's panel even more.
                          I don't know how jet lag's supposed to work but I always seem to have more trouble after coming back East than I do going West. Thankfully, I've also conditioned myself to sleep on planes so that the time difference doesn't really affect me much.

Meanwhile...I groused about the room sizes on JMS' FB page and he commented that the new room was supposed to hold 1000. So far no room change is indicated on the schedule so I'll be on the lookout.

Jan

Comment

Alas, while all of you shower me with love, that's not quite the same as showering me with the sheckles I need for my food/clothing/shelter addiction.
                            Until we evolve into incorporeal beings, we will continue to require sheckles to accommodate our addition for food, clothing and shelter.

I don't know how jet lag's supposed to work but I always seem to have more trouble after coming back East than I do going West. Thankfully, I've also conditioned myself to sleep on planes so that the time difference doesn't really affect me much.
                            I always have more trouble traveling East than West in large part because I get an extra hour or two of sleep traveling west.

As our representative at ComicCon, it behooves us to have you alert as possible during the proceedings.

According to:
                            http://sleepfoundation.org/sleep-top...-lag-and-sleep

TREATMENT:

Some simple behavioral adjustments before, during and after arrival at your destination can help minimize some of the side effects of jet lag.
                            • Select a flight that allows early evening arrival and stay up until 10 p.m. local time. (If you must sleep during the day, take a short nap in the early afternoon, but no longer than two hours. Set an alarm to be sure not to over sleep.)
                            • Anticipate the time change for trips by getting up and going to bed earlier several days prior to an eastward trip and later for a westward trip.
                            • Upon boarding the plane, change your watch to the destination time zone.
                            • Avoid alcohol or caffeine at least three to four hours before bedtime. Both act as "stimulants" and prevent sleep.
                            • Upon arrival at a destination, avoid heavy meals (a snack—not chocolate—is okay).
                            • Avoid any heavy exercise close to bedtime. (Light exercise earlier in the day is fine.)
                            • Bring earplugs and blindfolds to help dampen noise and block out unwanted light while sleeping.
                            • Try to get outside in the sunlight whenever possible. Daylight is a powerful stimulant for regulating the biological clock. (Staying indoors worsens jet lag.)
                            • Contrary to popular belief, the type of foods we eat have no effect on minimizing jet lag.

Try these tips on you next trip to help avoid travel-related stress and subsequent sleeplessness.
                            • Bring elements or objects from home like a picture of the family, favorite pillow, blanket or even a coffee mug) to ease the feeling of being in a new environment.
                            • Check with the hotel to see if voice mail services are available to guests. Then, whenever possible, have your calls handled by the service.
                            • Check your room for potential sleep disturbances that may be avoided; e.g., light shining through the drapes, unwanted in-room noise, etc.
                            • Request two wake-up calls in case you miss the first one.

Meanwhile...I groused about the room sizes on JMS' FB page and he commented that the new room was supposed to hold 1000. So far no room change is indicated on the schedule so I'll be on the lookout.

Jan
                            Where there is life, there is hope.
                            Last edited by Dan Dassow; 07-01-2015, 01:58 PM. Reason: post munched

Comment

Thanks, Dan. But I pretty much never have trouble sleeping almost any time, any where. My flight even gets me home at a reasonable hour on Sunday so I should actually be fine for work the next day.

As for the room size, I really hope that both are changed to bigger rooms but I'm an experienced 'room surfer' in order to get just the seat I want (end of the row nearest the microphone for the sake of my recording).

Funny note - the room that JMS is in for his Spotlight is the same as my #FreeBabylon5 panel last year. Well, I was in half of it. And it's WAY out of the way, not along the main corridor at all.

Jan

Comment

Looney, here's a sampling of just how surreal the SDCC ticketing is. As you know, SDCC 2015 is a week away. I just got this in my email:

Attendee Preregistration for Comic-Con 2016 will occur online sometime after Comic-Con 2015. There will be no onsite preregistration. Only those who purchased a Comic-Con 2015 attendee badge and retain their actual badge will be eligible to participate in Attendee Preregistration.
                                Yep, way before 2015 happens, they're gearing up for 2016.

Used to be you could buy tickets for the next year's con at the current year's con but a few years ago that got to the point where it overwhelmed their system so they had to stop.

Since I've got a badge for this year, I'll have an extra chance to get 2016 tickets but there's no guarantee. And that chance is valuable! I turned down free passes as a panelist in 2014 in order to keep my eligibility for the 2015 pre-sale.

SDCC isn't something you can do on impulse anymore, that's for sure. On the other hand, if you manage to be bored there, you'd really have to work at it!

Jan

Comment

Working...
                                X