Space City Con - Jan. 2014 - B5 Reunion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Posting here and in the #FreeBabylon5 thread:

Ranger Jenny's put up a new video fashion show of the #FreeBabylon5 shirts that will be featured at Space City Con. Remember, you can order them for shipping too, and it's pretty certain they'll sell out at the con so order today for pick-up or shipping!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xhc-...ature=youtu.be

The schedule's up for the con as well as the floor plan. Looks like our table will be easy to find!

http://www.spacecitycon.com/program.html

Packing everything to ship ahead. Never done anything like this before. I'm kinda nervous....

Jan
    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Posted by Space City Con. I thought it was fun:

It was the dawn of the third Con called 'Space City', twenty-one years after the universe of Sci-Fi was changed forever. Babylon 5: The Gathering & the TV Series was a dream given form.

The Con's goal was to create an environment where all generations of fans could find common ground, or to celebrate their differences, bringing fans together.

It's the Island of Galveston, home away from home for Cosplayers, comic fans, geeks, nerds, and gamers of every kind, never alone during the Festival of Lights.

It can be an epic place, a family place, and the New Year's first, best hope for fun!

The is the story of Space City Con: Winter.
      The year is 2014. The name of the place is Moody Gardens.

We invite you to attend
      Space City Con: Galveston Island – Winter 2014
      Raise a toast – Babylon 5 turns 21! It's finally legal!
      Along with a 20 year Anniversary of the TV series launch.
      Cast Reunion Guests of Honor include:

Bruce Boxleitner
      Julie Caitlin Brown
      Jason Carter
      Claudia Christian
      Josh Coxx
      Robin Atkin Downes
      Jerry Doyle
      Maggie Egan
      Bridget Flanery
      Mira Furlan
      Stephen Furst
      Peter Jurasik
      Bill Mumy
      Dylan Neal
      Tracy Scoggins
      Arne Starr
      Patricia Tallman
      Marshall Teague
      Andrea Thompson
      "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Well, no one has really said anything so let me be the first to report that my trip to Space City Con was pretty awesome. Not the best run Con ever, but I had a really great time. I got to see Jan again, which was great. I only wish she had more time for fun, but she was working very hard for #FREEBABYLON5 and we should all be grateful to her. I certainly hope JMS and all of the Stars she spoke to were appreciative of her efforts.

I also met Brandon with the B5Books team. It was a real treat to finally put a face with that group. He assured me that they are still working out what to do with Crusade: What The Hell Happened Book 2 after he jokingly told me that they were currently working on a What The Hell Happened To The What The Hell Happened Books. I wish I could have purchased more from him, but all of my funds were going toward my ticket and autographs and so on.

I also met Jenny, the lady from the #FREEBABYLON5 videos. It was a pleasure to get a chance to meet her and talk to her.

And last, but not least, I met BabylonLurker (also known as Jan From Denmark). Unfortunately I did not introduce myself as Looney to BabylonLurker until late on the final day, but that is because I didn’t notice that he wisely had BabylonLurker written on his ID Badge. It is strange because we had encountered each other at different panels during the weekend, but I missed it and never mention that I was Looney. He is a delightful fellow and I regret that we did not have a chance to spend more time together. I know the weekend would have been even more memorable if I’d known who he was.

Unfortunately I did not meet more people. That is one of my biggest regrets from Space City Con. I should have worn a big sign that said “Hi, I’m Looney”, but I didn’t think of it until it was too late. I did tell some people, none of whom seem to recognize the name. If you were there and you didn’t hear who I was then you probably saw me. I was the bearded guy in the #FREEBABYLON5 Red Mars Edition Tee at most all the B5 panels on Friday, and the rest of the weekend I was wearing the White #FREEBABYLON5 Tee that was available at the Con. You’ll probably remember me because I asked some pretty dumb questions during a few of the panels, including one during the Bruce Boxleitner / Peter Jurasik Tron panel about wearing tights. It came out all wrong and was not my best moment, but it did provide an opening for a little bit of a conversation between Jurasik and me later on. WOW was that a great moment among many really good moments.

I had multiple informative conversations with Dylan Neal. I learned that, like many B5 alumni, Maggie Egan is just fun to be around. I learned that Marshall Teague is a pretty interesting guy with some really good stories (AND THE SWORD WAS ALL IT WAS BILLED TO BE. I WISH I’D HAD A CHANCE TO EXAMINE IT CLOSER.) I learned the role that Arne Star played in the early days of B5 with regard to the internet and Cons and just getting the show done. Jason Carter, Robin Atkin Downes, Andrea Thompson, Stephen Furst, and Tracy Scoggins are all almost exactly how I expected them to be, which was great. (I have been to Cons with everyone else so I kind of knew how they would be, except Bruce Boxleitner seemed to be more jovial than he was at C2E2. I was surprised because from the get go he was one of the guests I heard was ill when they arrived in Galveston.) Bridget Flanery was a first timer and I was stunned by how well she fit right into her panel despite the fact that Tracy Scoggins was thirty five minutes late –which I don’t believe was her fault. Once Tracy arrived the two of them handled it great. I think she really handled the fans well for someone who is not used to being at these types of events. The only thing I can say she could have done better would have been to find a way to research the show a little. I know she was only on one episode, but she probably should have done a little homework to find out more about the group of actors she was going to be working with at the Con and what their contribution was to the show she was there for. Of course, she would have had to make purchases to do so, but #FREEBABYLON5 is working on that.

(WHICH REMINDS ME. THIS IS A GREAT TIME TO COORDINATE WITH JAN ON SENDING SOME LETTERS IN. I DON’T KNOW HOW MANY SHE GATHERED AT THE CON, BUT NOW IS THE TIME TO SEND A BULK MESSAGE TO SOME IMPORTANT PEOPLE.)

So there is a brief summation of my experience. Hopefully BabylonLurker will make it home safe and be able to post some of the pictures he took soon because he is going to have some great ones. I know because I’ve seen his work and I saw how many he took at this Con.

I hope Jan has recovered because I know it she had quite an ordeal. I only hope she had some good times mixed in with all the work she was doing. And BTW, you all missed a great brainstorming session at Jan’s #FREEBABYLON5 panel. I heard some good ideas and it was really excellent to see some passion in people’s faces. We’ve all read passion in people’s worlds, but it is really great to see it on their face as well. I only wish it had been at a better time of day. 10a.m. Saturday right as the Con is opening was not the best time slot, but Jan made it work.

So I’ve said a lot, but I only scratched the surface. It was an eventful weekend. I will end with a list of the panels I attended in case anyone wants to know more specifics about what I experienced.

Friday 12pm The Telepaths - Andrea Thompson & Robin Atkin Downes

Friday 1:30pm The Earth Alliance – Claudia Christian, Josh Coxx, Tracy Scoggins, & Bruce Boxleitner.

Friday 4:30pm Zoe- Tracy Scoggins & Bridget Flanery

Friday 5:30pm The Rangers – Jason Carter & Dylan Neal

Saturday 10am #FREEBABYLON5 – Jan

Saturday 11am TRON – Peter Jurasik & Bruce Boxleitner

Saturday 11:30am The Minbari – Mira Furlan & Bill Mumy

Saturday 1pm The Narn Regime – Marshall Teague

Saturday 6pm Babylon 5 Cast Reunion – Dylan Neal, Bridget Flanery, Tracy Scoggins, Marshall Teague, Bill Mumy, Peter Jurasik, Stephen Furst, Mira Furlan, Maggie Egan, Patricia Tallman, Robin Atkin Downes, Josh Coxx, Claudia Christian, Jason Carter, Andrea Thompson, Julie Catlin Brown, & Bruce Boxleitner with a special message from JMS that was read by Bruce Boxleitner. (It was pretty funny, but I couldn’t really give you much detail.)

Sunday 11am I Was There: The Babylon 5 Universe – Maggie Egan, Dylan Neal, & Arne Star

Sunday 12pm The Centauri – Peter Jurasik & Stephen Furst

Sunday 1:30pm Claudia Christian Q & A - Claudia
        Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Comment

Thanks for getting the ball rolling, Looney! Been trying to fight the fog of cold meds since I got back but I'm starting to think about feeling human again. Apologies for the lateness.

The ordeal Looney refers to was getting to the con in the first place. I spent a miserable 24 hours in the Orlando airport trying to get to Houston but once I got there things mostly went smoothly.

Yeah, I was there to work for #FreeBabylon5 and I wish that I'd had a chance to see more panels but I *did* get to see Looney and Jan and David and Benjamin and a bunch of others again and met a lot of new (to me) folks, too. One of those was Lt. Brandon who was there with some of the B5-20 books and he helped Jenny and me out at our table from time to time. I met with Jan for dinner my first night there (and we were called 'Mr. & Mrs. Schroeder) and got a really special gift of a poster montage of some of his photos from his trip to Phoenix and other places in May. It's a *wonderful* gift, thanks, Jan!!

The good *and* bad news was that the con was very under-attended from what had been projected. That's good because it gave the fans who were there a nicer, more relaxed chance to interact with the actors but bad since it wasn't as financially successful for the actors or vendors.

I arrived Friday evening and the hotel found the boxes I'd sent ahead just before the show opened on Saturday morning. Jenny and I got our banner hung on the table and I set out the things I'd brought before heading off to my panel. Naturally, I'd somehow mislaid my notes but I think I covered most of what I wanted to and there was a small but receptive crowd. We ended up writing letters to WB Entertainment and NBC Universal right there and then. Over the course of the weekend I think I got about 20 letters to mail for folks and hopefully a few more will write from home. The panel was filmed so I'm sure that once I finish cringing I'll be posting it online. My panel conflicted a bit with the Peter Jurasik/Bruce Boxleitner TRON panel so a lot of people left a bit early. Thankfully somebody (Looney, was that you?) had warned me ahead of time so I didn't take it personally.

One thing I wanted to do was get a bunch of folks on film saying "Free Babylon 5!" and I did get a few, including some of the actors. The first one with Peter Jurasik is up on our Facebook page now. There will be a few others. Every actor I had a chance to ask was really willing to have a picture taken with #FB5 gear or do the little videos. That was a lot of fun.

The one panel I wouldn't miss was the big reunion panel on Saturday night hosted by John Hudgens. JMS sent along a note telling us all how much all of them love us, the fans. John did show some of the B5 videos including the memorial video before the panel started. This time there were even questions from the audience and I think that made for a special time.

Wow! Claudia Christian just gave us a great plug on her FB page! Woo-Hoo!

Jan, hope you made it home safe. Looking forward to hearing your report and seeing more photos!

Jan

Comment

Thanks, Looney and Jan for your reports.

I am just home today from the travel, and a bit jet lagged, but I blogged my absolute highlight of Space City Con :

Being asked by Marshall Teague to draw the sword of Ta'Lon :

http://www.babylonlurker.net/blog/20...word-of-talon/

I include a small version of the picture here. I also posted the picture on MT's Facebook page and it looks like both of us had a very memorable moment.

Jan from Denmark

My blog :

http://www.babylonlurker.dk

"Our thoughts form the Universe - they *always* matter"

Comment

OMG! I WISH I had asked him to do that. That picture is GREAT ! ! !

Comment

Already commented on Facebook, but what a wonderful picture!

It looks like a superb sword as well, how did it look up close, and was it fairly weighty?
                Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

Originally posted by Ubik View Post
                  Already commented on Facebook, but what a wonderful picture!

It looks like a superb sword as well, how did it look up close, and was it fairly weighty?
                  Thanks Ubik. It is one of those rare occasions for a personal photo experience, and when the photo comes out well, it adds to the feeling. The technical quality of the photo is not optimal, but I do intend to have a print made - and hopefully - eventually signed. Thinking of it, I should probably make two prints and give one to Marshall Teague.

The sword feels like a Katana sword should, weighty, but not overly so, and well balanced.
                  - and it is a beautiful piece of work.
                  Jan from Denmark

My blog :

Comment

Unpinning now that the con is over but if anybody has photos or more comments/reports, I hope you'll still post.

Jan

Comment

Another highlight and photo from SCC

Here is another highlight from Space City Con.

When in Phoenix I made many photos, and put some on a collage poster that I could get signed personally by those at SCC who were also at Phoenix.

Mission accomplished. Will need 3 more signatures from JMS, Jerry Doyle and Walter Koenig for that poster.

A bit more info in the blog post :
                      http://www.babylonlurker.net/blog/20...pace-city-con/
                      Jan from Denmark

My blog :

Comment

That's one *great* poster! I had a scare when I got my poster tube delivered after I got home because one of the end caps had gotten lost. Thankfully, the copy that Jan gifted me with was safe and sound.

JMS posted a YouTube link showing Bruce reading the message that JMS sent to the con for him to read.

Originally posted by Fans of J. Michael Straczynski
                        "Since you can't come to the convention, Joe, perhaps you can write a letter for Bruce Boxleitner to read in your absence." Always a mistake. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhAnillHeWw
                        By turns, funny and heartwarming.

Jan

Comment

Yes, that is a great poster.

I have a new regret. I wish I had talked to more of the cast and the Game of Thrones guests. With there not being a ridiculously huge crowd to contend with I wish I'd had more conversations with them. Thinking back on it, I'm pretty sure there were times when they were just bored and might have welcomed the attention as long as it was kept general and didn't get too weird. And as long as it didn't discourage other fans from coming up to pay for autographs. I really feel like I squandered a once in a lifetime opportunity and I think everyone here can agree that I did.

It was still an awesome experience. I only wish more of you could have come, but then again there was Phoenix. I wish I'd been able to do both, but nothing is perfect. Hopefully there will be a HUGE 25TH Anniversary Celebration with millions of new fans wanting to attend and view the trailer of the upcoming Babylon 5 feature film and/or TV Series or whatever project can get done the way JMS wants it done now that he has newly found legions of fans in the five years since the twentieth anniversary and the launch of #FREEBABYLON5.

Comment

Originally posted by Looney View Post
                            Yes, that is a great poster.

I have a new regret. I wish I had talked to more of the cast and the Game of Thrones guests. ..... I really feel like I squandered a once in a lifetime opportunity and I think everyone here can agree that I did.

It was still an awesome experience. I only wish more of you could have come, but then again there was Phoenix. I wish I'd been able to do both, but nothing is perfect. Hopefully there will be a HUGE 25TH Anniversary Celebration with millions of new fans wanting to attend and view the trailer of the upcoming Babylon 5 feature film and/or TV Series or whatever project can get done the way JMS wants it done now that he has newly found legions of fans in the five years since the twentieth anniversary and the launch of #FREEBABYLON5.
                            Thanks Jan and Looney for the kind words. Looney, good to meet you for the first time

Yes, the GoT activities drowned a bit for me, too, there was so much B5 stuff to do. Don't get me wrong, I love GoT.

- and let's dream about the 25th anniversary etc and Never Surrender Dreams. Until the 25th Anniversary : #FreeBabylon5
                            Jan from Denmark

My blog :

Comment

Got the video of the #Free Babylon 5 panel last night and forced myself to watch it all the way through. Good lord...it's all me all the time...blech! Oh, except we do get some glimpses of Jan and Looney as my volunteers toward the end.

I'll need to figure how to get it to the website and to the YouTube channel. I also want to follow up on some of the suggestions that came up, particularly Meetup.com. I'm looking into that now.

Jan

Comment

Here's a Video from the Con that is up on YouTube -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLFZn97tGx4

Claudia posted it on Facebook.

Comment

Working...
                                X