Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veronica Mars Kickstarter

I'm guessing that by now you've all seen this

Over 2 million dollars raised in under 12 hours, and for a ‘cult’ genre show too! That’s impressive.

It gives me faith that the power is slowly shifting away from studios and execs to creators and fans. It’s something I’ve been waiting to see for years, either through a straight to web subscription style service, or a kickstarter like model. Veronica Mars was a great show, even though on paper I would never have expected to like it. ‘High school girl solves crime’, it didn’t really sell itself, but a friend sat me down and we watched the first season. Initially, I didn’t see what all the fuss was about, but a few episodes in it became clear that Veronica Mars was different. It had the same snappy dialogue as Buffy, likeable characters and some great season long mysteries that progressed alongside the ‘mystery of the week’ episodes. I loved the ‘high school noir’ vibe that permeated the show, which reminded me of the film ‘Brick’. (If you’ve not seen that film I HIGHLY recommend it). Veronica Mars had two very solid seasons (sadly the third was a bit muddled due to studio pressures), so I’m over the moon to see the cast back together for a feature film.

For me, this represents a real win for people power and genre TV!

Of course, for many here, your first thought will be 'can we apply this same model to B5?' I’ve already seen the topic raised on various B5 facebook pages. My personal take; I’m not in any rush to see more B5. I’m happy with what we got. The full five year arc was achieved and we were blessed with a great piece of science fiction TV.

As JMS admitted himself, the multiple forays outside of the original show have been somewhat ill fated and have not always been of the quality they should. Add to that, the passing of key cast members (R.I.P), and the significant amount of time elapsed, I somehow doubt it would fly. So yeah, I don’t think this could be applied to B5. I think I’d rather see new shows from JMS.

However, all that aside, I think this is a very encouraging trend. Anyone else looking forward to the VM film?
    Last edited by Ubik; 03-15-2013, 03:09 AM.
    Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

When asked on his FB page, JMS replied that it would take about $60M for a B5 movie so it would seem that he's sticking to his previous decision to require a sufficient budget or he's not going to do it at all - a decision I'm in full agreement with.

It should also be kept in mind that whatever they collect via Kickstarter (currently a very impressive $3.2M) will end up on the screen and won't cover the promotion and distribution, which is being picked up by Warner Bros.

VM did two things right that made this possible - they got permission and backing from the owner of the property and they had the star already on board.

I was never a fan of Veronica Mars, though the few episodes I saw were watchable. What made it a genre show?

Another discussion that's come up for B5 using crowdfunding is commissioning an effects upgrade. So far I haven't been able to find any data on how much it cost to upgrade the Treks, does anybody know? Because I'm *certain* that it took more than a few million.

Jan
    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
      When asked on his FB page, JMS replied that it would take about $60M for a B5 movie so it would seem that he's sticking to his previous decision to require a sufficient budget or he's not going to do it at all - a decision I'm in full agreement with.
      Same here. It would have to be a big budget affair to work, which makes it seem even more unlikely. Although stranger things have been brought back from the dead for the reboot / remake film treatment.

I was never a fan of Veronica Mars, though the few episodes I saw were watchable. What made it a genre show?
      ‘Genre show’ is perhaps the wrong term. I suppose it falls into a crime noir template, but set to a high school / teen drama backdrop. I use the term more because it falls into the niche / geek TV category. So, you’re right, it’s not really a ‘genre show’ as such. VM is worth more than a casual look, and like B5 it takes a few episodes to get going, but is worth the long term investment. I too was very sceptical, but the full season mystery arcs are well executed, and the dialogue is top notch throughout. It’s also noteworthy for a strong female lead who has more to her than than her looks.

Another discussion that's come up for B5 using crowdfunding is commissioning an effects upgrade. So far I haven't been able to find any data on how much it cost to upgrade the Treks, does anybody know? Because I'm *certain* that it took more than a few million.
      Now that, I do find interesting as a proposal. If you could find out how much the FX budget for TLT was, maybe that might provide a starting point? Of course there’s the tricky problem of the green screen scenes that even look a bit grainy on DVD. Difficult stuff...
      Last edited by Ubik; 03-15-2013, 04:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ubik View Post
        If you could find out how much the FX budget for TLT was, maybe that might provide a starting point? Of course thereÆs the tricky problem of the green screen scenes that even look a bit grainy on DVD. Difficult stuff...
        My memory tells me that it was over a million dollars - so half or more of the budget for the entire disk. I'm not finding that post, though, so it may have been in an interview or at a con that I'm remembering.

Jan
        "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

IÆm not in any rush to see a movie or reboot of B5 for fear that it would be done poorly. I am not even sure how a movie would fit in. What would the story be about? Who would the characters be? I think those TNT movies worked b/c they were basically for already established fans of the show who knew all the backstory. I suppose itÆs possible since they did it with the Star Trek movie, but IÆd remain skeptical until I sat down in the theater & watched it.

If I had to choose one over the other IÆd go with a series reboot, but even that would make me nervous. I doubt I would like it as much as the original. Maybe if JMS was in charge?

Then again, I like to have low expectations about things like this so I donÆt end up disappointed (like I was with Episode I). When I heard first details about the Lord of the Rings movie, I thought it would be a complete disaster but Peter Jackson did an unbelievable job. He even has me believing he can make a good trilogy out of the Hobbit now (!). So you never know.

I am pretty surprised that not one single network has tried to do a reboot, though, with all the other crap shows they are churning out and considering the success of BSG. I guess it has to be a reality show to have a chance these days, not sci-fi.
          "You don't like it here, do you? You'd rather you were back in your quarters, asleep, dreaming dreams of glory."

Comment

Originally posted by Sebastian View Post
            I am pretty surprised that not one single network has tried to do a reboot, though, with all the other crap shows they are churning out and considering the success of BSG. I guess it has to be a reality show to have a chance these days, not sci-fi.
            Yep, that or the British trait that everything now has to be like Dr. Who when it comes to SF. Yawn...

Comment

One of my first thoughts after the success of the VM campaign was that I'd love to see more of Pushing Daisies. Looks like it passed through Bryan Fuller's mind, too.

http://www.vulture.com/2013/03/pushi...ckstarter.html

Don't know what form it might take but I loved that whimsical little show.

Jan

Comment

One of my first thoughts after the success of the VM campaign was that I'd love to see more of Pushing Daisies. Looks like it passed through Bryan Fuller's mind, too.

http://www.vulture.com/2013/03/pushi...ckstarter.html

Don't know what form it might take but I loved that whimsical little show.

Jan
                Not seen Pushing Daisies. May have to give that a look. I think the VM kickstarter provides a great template for other shows looking to do the same.

Comment

Pushing Daisies was a lot of fun. Had a very unique look to it's art direction. Rather stylized. The cast was great, too. Right down to the narration by Jim Dale.
                  "That was the law, as set down by Valen. Three castes: worker, religious, warrior."

Comment

Working...
                  X