Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JMS confirmed his schedule for C2E2:

Originally posted by Fans of J. Michael Straczynski
    C2E2 Chicago Schedule for this weekend: Friday 5:45 W474 Joe's Comics panel with me, Ben Templesmith, Pat Tallman and Tom Mandrake. Saturday: 3:15 spotlight W474. 4:30 Me and Ben signing at the Joe's Comics table where we'll be giving away one copy of Ten Grand per family for the first 500 folks in line. Sunday,: 12:30 autograph session VIP lounge w375c.
    Woo-hoo! Pat Tallman (in her guise as CEO of Studio JMS) will be there, too!

Also another variant cover by Bill Sienkiewicz:

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.ph...type=1&theater

So far I think this one and the cover for issue #2 are my faves.

Jan
    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Oh well

I hope Pat Tallman is there on Saturday because that is the only day I can make it. I just bought my ticket. I decided the odds of me making Phoenix are pretty slim so I had better take what I can get. If I leave between 5 and 6am I should get there around the time the gates open or a little after. It will be a long day, but it will be worth it.
      Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
        JMS confirmed his schedule for C2E2:

Woo-hoo! Pat Tallman (in her guise as CEO of Studio JMS) will be there, too!

Also another variant cover by Bill Sienkiewicz:

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.ph...type=1&theater

So far I think this one and the cover for issue #2 are my faves.

Jan
        LOVE Bill Sienkiewicz! Beautiful cover. I think this is all part of JMS' secret plan to work with people whose last names are equally inscrutable!
        Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

I think Pat posted that she'll be at all of JMS' events.

I just got checked into my wonderful room and I'm off to explore shortly. Will touch base after JMS' panel later on. Not sure if it's at the panel or at the autograph table, but there are going to be free t-shirts, too, while supplies last.

Jan
          "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

SPOILERS AHEAD - Read at your own risk!!

Okay, I'm sure I've said it before but it always bears repeating - if you ever have the chance to experience JMS at a convention, DO IT.

JMS first started out by tellng how he'd collected comics as a kid and how, when he was 12, his father took the box labeled 'Joe's Comics' and ripped every single one of them up because his grades had slipped (and of course it had to be the comics, right?).

He then brought Patricia Tallman, CEO of Studio JMS up on stage and credited her with naming Studio JMS (since he's much to modest to have thought of that). Pat talked how she's enjoyed learning all about comics. Pat was modeling one of the t-shirts tthat was given out at the end of the panel - A black shirt with 'Read at (logo) where it's always five minutes to midnight'.

JMS showed the convention exclusive comic that will be given out tomorrow. It's not a cover that's shown up online yet and I can't wait to get a closer look at it.

Next to be introduced was Ben Templesmith. JMS has been a fan of his for ages and he talked about how Ben creates a mood with his art. Ben talked about how JMS' work has affected him in the past.

There's no way of expressing the chatter between the panelists but it was hillarious, believe me.

JMS pulled up slides of the covers and there's at least one other Issue #1 also hasn't been seen online so far. He explained about Joe Fitzgerald meeting Laura when he was wounded and she saved his life.

Another slide showed a winged being of fire who may or may not be an angel. Or demon. Or JMS' accountant...

Next JMS mentioned the webcomic "Apocalypse Al' and showed a few pages of the art. No word on when it'll be coming to MTV.

JMS introduced Gordon Purcell and brought him up on stage even though he didn't have any art to show for 'Protector's Inc' which originally started life as a movie script which JMS pulled back from MGM after it had gone as far as a table reading featuring 'A' list actors and decided it should be a comic rather than a movie.

'Protector's Inc.' features a homicide detective investigating a murder in a world where there are super heroes but not really any super villains. Gordon described how the super heroes are all bright and colorbul and the rest of the people are dull.

'Sidekick' will be coming out at San Diego Comic-Con. 'The Cowl' super hero is assasinated by a guy named Oswald and his sidekick FlyBoy tries to solve the murder but nobody will take him seriously. He stages robberies in order to solve them to try to get respect. We learn going on that the Cowl is actually still alive but wanted to dump FlyBoy.

Q: What about more B5?
            A: JMS owns the movie rights, WB owns the TV rights and JMS has been trying to get the TV rights but, like a monkey with his hand in a jar, WB won't let it go. Asked about B5 comics, JMS mentioned the one that was ccontracted years and years ago but he told the person at DC (I think) that he'll probably drop it completely if he can't get it done by SDCC.

Q: Asked about a V3 of Superman Earth One
            A: JMS is about 2/3 done.

Q: Asked about whether Studio JMS might want to hire outside comic writers.
            A: Pat said that it'll be at least a year but at some point they want to bring in others.

JMS explained that he plans to have breaks of a few months between runs of each title in order to get ahead on scripts and make any direction changes needed.

Q: Something about the destuction of Krypton in Volume 1 of Superman: Earth One.
            A: JMS said it would be covered in Volume 3. He also mentioned that fans familiar with Shakespear's Richard the Third would get additional meaning in the villain's name Tyrell in Volume 1.

Q: I asked about the process of choosing an artist for books.
            A: Gorden Purcell actually was the the artist for JMS' Star Trek comic back in the day. JMS emailed him and offered him the book he's writing. Ben Templesmith was also asked by JMS to do it in this case and he jumped at the opportunity as he's a fan of JMS' work.

Q: Asked if JMS ever considered doing any more stories in the Midnight Nation universe.
            A: JMS said it's still his favorite work to date and he's happy with it as it is and doesn't want to touch it.

Q: Asked about more Rising Stars as TV or movie.
            A: JMS said it had been optioned in the past but now that he has his own production company...who knows?

It was a shorter than usual Q&A session because they next handed out the T-shirts. JMS chatted with fans while Pat and some volunteers handed them out. Surprisingly, the room was only about half full so there were some left which will be given out tomorrow as long as they last.

And that's my report for today. G'night!!!

Jan

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
              SPOILERS AHEAD - Read at your own risk!!

Okay, I'm sure I've said it before but it always bears repeating - if you ever have the chance to experience JMS at a convention, DO IT.

JMS first started out by tellng how he'd collected comics as a kid and how, when he was 12, his father took the box labeled 'Joe's Comics' and ripped every single one of them up because his grades had slipped (and of course it had to be the comics, right?).

He then brought Patricia Tallman, CEO of Studio JMS up on stage and credited her with naming Studio JMS (since he's much to modest to have thought of that). Pat talked how she's enjoyed learning all about comics. Pat was modeling one of the t-shirts tthat was given out at the end of the panel - A black shirt with 'Read at (logo) where it's always five minutes to midnight'.

JMS showed the convention exclusive comic that will be given out tomorrow. It's not a cover that's shown up online yet and I can't wait to get a closer look at it.

Next to be introduced was Ben Templesmith. JMS has been a fan of his for ages and he talked about how Ben creates a mood with his art. Ben talked about how JMS' work has affected him in the past.

There's no way of expressing the chatter between the panelists but it was hillarious, believe me.

JMS pulled up slides of the covers and there's at least one other Issue #1 also hasn't been seen online so far. He explained about Joe Fitzgerald meeting Laura when he was wounded and she saved his life.

Another slide showed a winged being of fire who may or may not be an angel. Or demon. Or JMS' accountant...

Next JMS mentioned the webcomic "Apocalypse Al' and showed a few pages of the art. No word on when it'll be coming to MTV.

JMS introduced Gordon Purcell and brought him up on stage even though he didn't have any art to show for 'Protector's Inc' which originally started life as a movie script which JMS pulled back from MGM after it had gone as far as a table reading featuring 'A' list actors and decided it should be a comic rather than a movie.

'Protector's Inc.' features a homicide detective investigating a murder in a world where there are super heroes but not really any super villains. Gordon described how the super heroes are all bright and colorbul and the rest of the people are dull.

'Sidekick' will be coming out at San Diego Comic-Con. 'The Cowl' super hero is assasinated by a guy named Oswald and his sidekick FlyBoy tries to solve the murder but nobody will take him seriously. He stages robberies in order to solve them to try to get respect. We learn going on that the Cowl is actually still alive but wanted to dump FlyBoy.

Q: What about more B5?
              A: JMS owns the movie rights, WB owns the TV rights and JMS has been trying to get the TV rights but, like a monkey with his hand in a jar, WB won't let it go. Asked about B5 comics, JMS mentioned the one that was ccontracted years and years ago but he told the person at DC (I think) that he'll probably drop it completely if he can't get it done by SDCC.

Q: Asked about a V3 of Superman Earth One
              A: JMS is about 2/3 done.

Q: Asked about whether Studio JMS might want to hire outside comic writers.
              A: Pat said that it'll be at least a year but at some point they want to bring in others.

JMS explained that he plans to have breaks of a few months between runs of each title in order to get ahead on scripts and make any direction changes needed.

Q: Something about the destuction of Krypton in Volume 1 of Superman: Earth One.
              A: JMS said it would be covered in Volume 3. He also mentioned that fans familiar with Shakespear's Richard the Third would get additional meaning in the villain's name Tyrell in Volume 1.

Q: I asked about the process of choosing an artist for books.
              A: Gorden Purcell actually was the the artist for JMS' Star Trek comic back in the day. JMS emailed him and offered him the book he's writing. Ben Templesmith was also asked by JMS to do it in this case and he jumped at the opportunity as he's a fan of JMS' work.

Q: Asked if JMS ever considered doing any more stories in the Midnight Nation universe.
              A: JMS said it's still his favorite work to date and he's happy with it as it is and doesn't want to touch it.

Q: Asked about more Rising Stars as TV or movie.
              A: JMS said it had been optioned in the past but now that he has his own production company...who knows?

It was a shorter than usual Q&A session because they next handed out the T-shirts. JMS chatted with fans while Pat and some volunteers handed them out. Surprisingly, the room was only about half full so there were some left which will be given out tomorrow as long as they last.

And that's my report for today. G'night!!!

Jan
              Sounds like it was a great panel!
              Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

Originally posted by Ubik View Post
                Sounds like it was a great panel!
                JMS panels are always a good time. And it was nice to have him in charge of a group panel and see how he made sure to include everybody at the table. I'm going over in a little bit to find Gordon Purcell's table. He said he has a few pages of the art from the comic he's doing.

The folks sitting behind me were remembering fondly last year's spotlight panel here when JMS organized a bunch of people to pound on the connecting wall when they were playing a film so loud we couldn't hear JMS. Even so, JMS ran around the room with the mike.

Looking forward to the spotlight panel and signing this afternoon.

Jan
                Last edited by Jan; 04-27-2013, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Greetings from Chicago again from your exhausted reporter. No, I really haven't done anything more than the usual walking and standing in lines that there usually is at cons, just for some reason I've slept really badly for the past few nights. Poor, poor pitiful me, right?

So the first thing I did upon hitting the show floor was to search out Gordon Purcell's table where he'd said he had some of the art for Protector's Inc. BTW, I forgot to mention in yesterday's report that it was he who did JMS *very* early Star Trek comic issue...I think the title was 'Worldsinger'? Wish I'd known that, I could have brought the script for that issue for him to sign. Couldn't tell much about the story from the pages - as they said yesterday, they were introductory. Mr. Purcell was very pleasant to talk to and even remembered me from yesterday which was really nice.

From there I went in search of the Studio JMS table. Patricia Tallman had posted that she'd be there around 1 PM and I got there a few minutes early. There I met and talked to a nice young man I'd gotten an autograph for a few months ago. Pat came and set up her photos and talked to fans telling them when JMS would be there and all about the freen convention comic book. As usual, she was beautiful and gracious. I watched her table for a few minutes while she went and had somebody bring over the t-shirts that were left from yesterday over to the table and then helped out by taking a few photos of her and fans with their cameras. Then it was time to head up to the panel room.

I was able to get my prefered spot (second row with a clear view of the stage and the projection screen). Shortly before the panel our own Looney fouund me and we had a nice time chatting until Pat introduced JMS in a very nice way.

I'm not going to go into details on the questions as I did yesterday, though perhaps Looney might fill in any details I miss. My question was about JMS' autobiography - he says it's pretty much done except the Studio JMS chapter but as it's about 800 pages, it's going to need some editing. He used my question to springboard to a few other stories.

After the panel, Looney and I hurried down to the table in Artist Alley to find the line already VERY long. It was fun to see JMS walk along the line filming how long it was. As it's my birthday, Pat was sweet enough to grab me out of line and let me get my copy of the comic early (I'm hoping it was my birthday present and I didn't look too pathetic from lack of sleep). Signing along with JMS were Ben Templesmith and Bill Sienkiewitz (sp?). Even after getting my book, I chatted for a little while longer with Looney and met with Julia and David who were in line behind us.

And that's it for tonight. There *will* be pictures, but it'll have o wait until I get home.

Nice to meet you, Looney! Please chime in with your own impressions.

Jan

Comment

Quick addition

I just got home and I am super tired, but I wanted to see what Jan posted after our visit. Jan you will have to confirm this in the morning because I am so out of it I could be wrong. I believe when a Midnight Nation question was asked JMS kind of went around it, but then Pat flatly stated that Studios JMS would be doing something with Midnight Nation. I know that it happened, I just can't be positive Midnight Nation was the subject.

Comment

The question was definitely about Midnight Nation, Looney. JMS said that others have tried to option it but he hasn't done so up to now. He said that at some point Studio JMS might take it up to do something on the big or small screen and Pat chimed in that they definitely would. It should be noted, though, that it was more of an 'I'm determined that we should do it' comment rather than an 'I have concrete plans now' comment.

Did you get one of the comics, Looney? Pat posted that they'd given out about 400 or so but I don't know if that's because they saved some for the VIP autograph session today or if that was how many people lined up.

Hope you got some rest and it was worth the trip.

Jan

Comment

Well worth it ! ! ! !

I had a blast. I had a rough start, but then tons of fun. And yes Jan, I was able to get one of the exclusive Ten Grand comics. Hopefully mine is a little more exclusive than some of the others. I am pretty sure I am the only one who got one with the CEO's autograph too. At least on Saturday when they were first giving out the comic. I came back when the line was nearing the end and asked nicely. She was working hard. She was handing out Joe's Comics t-shirts to everyone in line. She was keeping the line moving. She was talking to people in line. She was really showing that she cared about what she was doing. When I came back she wasn't quite so busy and I had an opportunity. I honestly felt she should have been signing with the artists, so that is why I asked. If it had been anything other than that comic, she would have made me pay for the signature if only as a means of discouraging others from asking her to sign stuff while she was working. I made a little mini-album in my profile if you want to see it. My pictures did not turn out at all, so there are just a few.

I don't know if anyone is interested in Bruce's Lantern City, but I sure am. Here is the most important update to come out of that panel if you missed the live webcast. They announced that they are doing a prequel graphic novel. I believe they said it takes place one hundred and fifteen years before the era that the show will be set in. It is a little origin story as a teaser for the show. You can pre-order it on their website. The total with shipping is less than $39. The sooner you pre-order the better the bundle of freebies they'll send you with your copy. I think they said it will ship in July, just before San Diego.

JMS' panel was great. The Lantern City panel was great. Meeting Jan was great and I'm sure I'll have more to say as I keep processing.

Comment

Hey, that's a great story about you asking Pat to sign your comic. You're right, she was really working hard.

I'm no photographer at the best of times but quite a few of my pics turned out pretty well this time. I may make a small album here later on but for now, anybody interested is welcome to check out what I've uploaded to Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/janmschroed...5865356&type=3

And it occurs to me...there we were, hanging out and talking for quite a while and did we have somebody take pictures of us? Not a one! Duh!!

I'd heard good things about the Lantern City panel. You might want to post your thoughts in the thread that we've got for the project.

Jan

Comment

The first of the signed TEN GRAND comics is up on Ebay. Currently at $45 with 5 days to do. This should be interesting since we know for certain that there are only about 400 that exist with all three autographs.

Jan

Comment

Working...
                            X