X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twitter: When asked about the naming "Babylon":

J. Michael Straczynski retweets (feb. 27, 2019):
    1) The Vorlon/Shadow conflict has its origins in the Babylonian myth that the universe was born in the struggle between order and chaos; 2) the O'Neil tube concept reminded me of the hanging gardens of Babylon, and 3) Babylon was a place of great commerce.
    Did he state these 3 reasons so clearly ever before?
    (Well, can be a matter of my lost memory)

B5-Stefan

--
    Delenn: "If the universe puts a mystery in front of us as a gift, politeness requires that we at least try and solve it."
    [Babylon5, Atonement]

Comment

• Mostly he's said things like this:
      http://jmsnews.com/messages/message?id=17820

Before it fell into depravity, Babylon was a center of commerce, and
      culture, and trade, and diplomacy.

jms
      "Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017

Comment

• Originally posted by Jan View Post
        Mostly he's said things like this:
        http://jmsnews.com/messages/message?id=17820
        Before it fell into depravity, Babylon was a center of commerce, and
        culture, and trade, and diplomacy.
        jms
        Jan, indeed I recall that jms did mention Babylon the mesopotamian big city of commerce as an inspiration for him.
        But the babylonian chaos versus order myth - aka vorlons versus shadows
        and in particular
        the hanging gardens of Babylon analogy to the green inner surface of the O'Neill tube
        seems to me really as a not before seen info.

B5-Stefan

--
        "Many Americans tend to go for someone who is strong-and-wrong over someone who is weak-and-right.
        Given Trump's crossover performance today I wonder how weak-and-wrong is going to play in some corners..."
        [JMS tweet, July 2018]

Comment

• Proper description of his work day:

JMS tweet (mar. 12, 2019):
          I generally write until about 4 a.m., crash for 8 hours, get up, spend a couple of
          hours trying to find my face (sadly, it's always the same face), doing meetings,
          revisions, emails and twitter, then around 7 the jet engine in my brain roars to life
          and I fly until 4.
          B5-Stefan

--
          Elric: "You don't frighten easily."
          Vir: "I work for Ambassador Mollari. After a while nothing bothers you."
          [Babylon5, The Geometry of Shadows]

Comment

• Further news to jms "work day balance":

When asked "... When necessary for certain projects, have you found any tricks to modify your internal schedule?"
            JMS retweets (mar. 15, 2019):
            Not really, no. If I'm running a show and the only chance I have to write is during
            what mortals call "the day" I try to knock down a few pages knowing it's crap and I'll
            have to rewrite it later, but at least the clay is on the table. Otherwise, nope,
            fuggadettaboudit.
            Now, some people with a comparable work day schedule having ADHD, speculate about.

JMS retweets (mar. 15, 2019):
            I rarely getting to bed before 4 a.m., so it's a natural result. The phone doesn't
            ring, no interruptions, and the brain works differently late night, more open to odd
            ideas, which is why informercials air then; at 2 a.m. the idea of buying a snuggie
            actually seems reasonable
            I do prefer MORE ODD IDEAS by jms against all thinkable snuggies.
            B5-Stefan

--
            Sinclair: "Stay close to the Vorlon. And watch out for shadows.
            They move when you're not looking at them.
            "

Comment

• Got any burning questions for JMS? He's thinking of doing some Ask Me Anything sessions for each of his projects.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	AMA.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	151830
              "Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017

Comment

• This is just beautiful!

Name:	Stories.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	152167

Comment

• Writing class in a tweet:

Name:	Exactly.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	152205

Comment

• Another AMA (Ask Me Anything) next week - this time for any questions about when JMS worked on Murder, She wrote.
                    https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/1133581702792564737
                    J. Michael Straczynski‏Verified account @straczynski
                    Okay, the public has spoken: Tuesday June 4 at 3:00 p.m. PST I will be hosting a #MurderSheWrote Ask-Me-Anything in line with the substantial part M,SW plays in #BecomingSupermanJMS. (Photo is from Incident in Lot 7, which I wrote to cross Jessica into the film world of Psycho.)

Comment

• I watched a lot of Murder She Wrote with my mother throughout the years. It's amazing how varied a writing spectrum JMS has created in his vast career. I forget about the Murder She Wrotes and the New Twilight Zones. I thought I'd never seen any of his writing when I first saw Babylon 5. I wonder how different it is creating a Murder She Wrote plot compared to a Superman plot. Is the headspace you have to be in similar at all? I can't imagine producing stories across such varied styles and media.
                      "Believe that life is worth living and your belief will help create the fact." - William James

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia View Post
                        I wonder how different it is creating a Murder She Wrote plot compared to a Superman plot. Is the headspace you have to be in similar at all?
                        Nah, he just writes the same story only he removes the cape and costume from Jessica and subtracts some of her intelligence to write Superman.
                        Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Comment

• Forgot to post this last night. "CHANGELING" is now available on STARZ.

Name:	Starz.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	154428
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X