Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JMS retweeted a link: Exploring the B5 questions in higher education.
    Lessons learned about needs versus wants that were inspired by watching 90
    "Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017

Comment

• Originally posted by Jan View Post
      JMS retweeted a link: Exploring the B5 questions in higher education.
      Yes, I just saw it, and also the reaction of the original tweeter.
      Jan from Denmark

My blog :

http://www.babylonlurker.dk

"Our thoughts form the Universe - they *always* matter"

Comment

• At last on jms twitter: "Why 2257?"

hlo tweet (Nov. 29, 2018):
        "@straczynski what make you pick 2257 to establish start of B5. any deep meaning to that date or was it just pulled out of a hat?"

J. Michael Straczynski retweet (Nov. 30, 2018):
        "I'd originally wanted to pick 2256 but the Shriners had already booked it for their annual multistellar celebration."

Bradley Austin Davis retweet (Nov. 30, 2018):
        "Wouldn't an *annual* multistellar celebration happen *every* year?"

J. Michael Straczynski retweet (Nov. 30, 2018):
        "Not after the incident that led to the accidental destruction of a dwarf star during the height of the 2256 festivities."

We must state: about 2257 really no single intelligent question is left over.
        B5-Stefan

--
        Delenn: "We believe that no race can be truly intelligent without laughter"
        [Babylon5, A Race Through Dark Places]

Comment

• So in the end we now own a brand new Babylon5 CANON detail.
          Do we?

In the following twitter thread jms revealed the name of
          Zathras, Zathras, Zathras, Zathras and finally Zathras mom.

It went like this:

J. Michael Straczynski hat shitpost unlimited retweetet (dec 09):

"Are you kidding? Looking, acting and dressing like that, if there's anyone in the universe with a serious crystal meth problem, it's Zathras. He's practically the "After" photo in every drug treatment manual ever printed."

Michelle Travis J. Michael Straczynski retweetet (dec 09):

"Meth-ras?"

J. Michael Straczynski Michelle Travis retweetet (dec 09):

"If we start dragging his mom into this, we're never going to get out of this hole."

The only logical conclusion: Mehtras is Zahtras mom.

Holy Grail!
          After 20 years: all new B5-Canon confirmed by the GREAT MAKER himself!

B5-Stefan :another sarcastic big evil grin:

PS: when do we get our emojis back? please!

--
          Delenn: "We believe that no race can be truly intelligent without laughter"
          [Babylon5, A Race Through Dark Places]

Comment

• A tweeter claimed that there's no 'art' to a movie, only the combination of many 'crafts'.
            Originally posted by JMS
            I beg to disagree. Writing is an art no less than painting. Music is an art no less than a sketch. Acting is an art no less than a blueprint. If you're suggesting that the culmination of many arts is no art, then the culmination of your message is no sense.
            https://twitter.com/straczynski/stat...58124724756481
            "Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017

Comment

• Lots of recent tweets on the B5 movie (from fans), crowdfunding, etc. JMS has said outright that he'd need 60 million to make it happen for it to look half respectable. No info on any progress in that field. I note than any mentions of a series reboot, are met with 'WB doesn't want anyone to do anything with B5".

All round pretty grim outlook then for any future B5. So much for studio JMS and all that tall talk at Comic Con so many years ago.
              Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ubik View Post
                So much for studio JMS and all that tall talk at Comic Con so many years ago.
                Kind of the nature of the business, I'm afraid. The majority of projects never get made and all of JMS' projections for making a B5 movie were predicated on the build-up of Studio JMS. It's not as though it was all under his personal control, after all. If it were, Spike wouldn't have ceased to be and 'Red Mars' would be a thing (among others). Should we start the chorus of 'I wish he wouldn't talk about something until it's certain' now or skip it this time?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jan View Post

Kind of the nature of the business, I'm afraid. The majority of projects never get made and all of JMS' projections for making a B5 movie were predicated on the build-up of Studio JMS. It's not as though it was all under his personal control, after all. If it were, Spike wouldn't have ceased to be and 'Red Mars' would be a thing (among others). Should we start the chorus of 'I wish he wouldn't talk about something until it's certain' now or skip it this time?
                  I totally understand it's any number of factors that have to align to make it happen. Arguably, if it's being produced under his studio, then it is largely under his control if it moves forward or not. But Studio JMS looks as dead as a doorknob. It doesn't even have an active web presence.

He boldly proclaimed he'd write the script and shop it to investors. I am unsure if either of these things have happened. He even said WB would get a first look in at it. Perhaps this has been going on behind the scenes and it hit a wall? Hard to say. It's just it was all said with such certainty, and as a fan, it's disappointing to hear of no movement after such a bold statement of intent. Most creators I follow, even the relatively small ones, don't tend to talk about a project until it's actually greenlit and in production with a release date for the finished product. In most cases, they are generally barred from talking about a show, or book, or whatever until it's officially announced anyway.

Perhaps I'm being an entitled fan here, JMS owes me nothing, but like all of you, I am hoping he's beavering away behind the scenes and there is movement, but he appears to have really backed off from what he said at Comic Con. I remain unsure that he'll ever have the required 'street cred' to get it made. If he doesn't already have the necessary clout in Hollywood to take a run at it, I doubt he ever will.

The fan community are definitely still interested in it though, that much is clear!
                  Last edited by Ubik; 01-07-2019, 03:33 AM.

Comment

He boldly proclaimed he'd write the script and shop it to investors. I am unsure if either of these things have happened.
                    Well, in one interview he said that he planned to *finish* the script so, offhand I'd say yes. And he's reported the difficulty in getting investors when he doesn't hold all of the rights so I'd say that would be a yes, also. All of which were reported here, of course.

He even said WB would get a first look in at it. Perhaps this has been going on behind the scenes and it hit a wall? Hard to say. It's just it was all said with such certainty, and as a fan, it's disappointing to hear of no movement after such a bold statement of intent.
                    Sounds like you think he should be reporting in to us. I don't.

Most creators I follow, even the relatively small ones, don't tend to talk about a project until it's actually greenlit and in production with a release date for the finished product. In most cases, they are generally barred from talking about a show, or book, or whatever until it's officially announced anyway.
                    Yes, that would be the case if the B5 script were commissioned by an outside entity. That entity would be the ones deciding what could be made public.

Perhaps I'm being an entitled fan here, JMS owes me nothing, but like all of you, I am hoping he's beavering away behind the scenes and there is movement, but he appears to have really backed off from what he said at Comic Con. I remain unsure that he'll ever have the required 'street cred' to get it made. If he doesn't already have the necessary clout in Hollywood to take a run at it, I doubt he ever will.
                    You appear to think he's got a lot more control than is likely the case. Sure, maybe if he had $60-80 million dollars of his own to lavish on making a B5 film he could do as he (and you/we) wished. That's not the reality. The reality is that I can think of at least four projects that would have elevated his 'street cred' since 2014 and none have happened yet for various reasons. I also assume he's working away at a number of other projects and I look forward to seeing what might come of them.

Comment

• Okay, I'll stop ranting about the B5 movie now.

Joss Whedon B5 reboot anyone?

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	1
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	149963

Comment

Joss Whedon B5 reboot anyone?
                        Ubik,
                        You know it's a far away and theoretical question, cause WB had declared...

But I'm definitely interested in a Whedon Firefly reboot. ;-)
                        <-- what about our smilies?

B5-Stefan

--
                        Lyssa Deradi : "Did they live happily every after?"
                        [Babylon5, In the Beginning]

Comment

• When asked about "what he's working at the moment":

J. Michael Straczynski retweet (Jan. 18, 2019):

"20K words from finishing my new mainstream novel (details classified), 30 pages from finishing a new screenplay (ditto), a new pilot script goes out to auction next week (ditto-ditto), putting final touches to the autobiography, developing multiple other TV projects."

Seems veery busy ;-)

--
                          "Imagination is more important than knowledge, because knowledge is limited."
                          [Albert Einstein]

Comment

Working...
                          X