X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• phazedout
    replied
    jms just posted a series of messages on twitter, since Jan is probably asleep I thought I'd reproduce them here

Originally posted by JMichael Straczynski‏@straczynski
    Just fell down the steps leading to my office which is weird because there AREN'T steps leading to my office and...oh crap I'm in hell again
    And they STILL haven't done anything about the decor.
    What's even funnier is that you can actually tweet from Hell. (Or is that redundant?)
    Turns out there's an entire section of Hell JUST set aside for tweeters.
    It consists mainly of demons yelling "NO ONE CARES WHAT YOU HAD FOR DINNER STOP SENDING TWITPIX OF YOUR FOOD!" for all eternity. Seems fair
    So I'm sitting with Beelzebub and he's like, yeah I invented Twitter not that Dorsey guy, and I'm like, really, and he's like, HELL yes
    Apparently demons invented not just twitter but instagrams, taxes, reality TV and standing in line. And the confessional, just for laughs.
    I'm told, however, that demons did NOT invent plague, pestilence, famine or death. They insist it was the Dutch. I have no opinion on it.
    It's good to see that some traditions are intact, however, and that English remains the official language of Hell. We earned it, after all.
    Taking a walk around Hell. Asked a nearby demon what their flag looks like. "Why, all of them," he said. Not sure I like the sound of that.
    @jonbry97 Why am I in Hell? I'm a writer. All the best writers go to hell. Frankly, I'm flattered they'd have me.
    Just a second...Lucifer is over there, laughing hysterically. Let me try and find out what this is all about. BRB.
    Okay, that IS funny. Turns out those cute kitten youtube videos are actually soul-stealers designed to secretly pull your soul into hell.
    Of course the joke's on him because anybody who's sat and watched the damned things all night already KNEW that.
    Just asked Lucifer if there's anything he'd like me to pass along on his behalf to the world of the living. Stand by....

Lucifer says as follows: "Humans are told only they have free will, but if that is true, how then did we fall from grace but by free will?"
    He continues "In the Garden, why did GOd warn Adam and Eve about the fruit, but not the snake? Why did he not explain what a lie was?"
    He goes on: "It was a set-up. WE were set up because we were competitors. God invented hell for us. So we invented the church."
    Anything else? I ask. "Yes. Tell the living to stop wearing those stupid skinny ties. It's pissing me off." No idea why that's important.
    As I leave Hell for the world of the living, I pass the door marked "A Division of Exxon/Mobil." What I can't tell is if that's Hell or us.
    And so I return safe and sound to my office, and my computer, and...oooh, look...new kitten videos on youtube.
    here endeth the lesson....
    Alan

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Oh, Zing! Found on Twitter:

A poster copies what JMS said about being a "Smug, cocky, self-involved bastard" back in 1981 and asks if the adjectives have changed over the years.

Yes, the word "successful" now appears somewhere in there.

Jan

Leave a comment:

• JoeD80
    replied
    Rent in LA in 1981 was not super-expensive. The housing boom didn't occur until about the mid-80s and then another crazy increase in the late 90s. Interestingly, I know how cheap rent was in 1981 because I was researching old JMS articles in the library once, and came across the rental ads in the 1981 paper - you could get a one-bedroom in Santa Monica for about $250 / month at the time!

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Originally posted by Looney View Post
    $600 would only have covered a portion of one month's rent for me in LA 10 years ago. It wouldn't even cover half of it for the same place now.
    In the Preface of "Tales from the Twilight Zone", JMS says that his wife had gotten a job offer to do research for Carl Sagan. It sounds as though that job didn't last long, though.

Jan

Leave a comment:

• Looney
    replied
    Ha!

$600 would only have covered a portion of one month's rent for me in LA 10 years ago. It wouldn't even cover half of it for the same place now.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Originally posted by Fans of J. Michael Straczynski
    April 1 1981: I came to LA with $600, no friends or framily in the business, to see what I could become, most of which was instantly consumed by rent and moving costs. Many nights staring at the ceiling, no gigs, no income, selling everything I owned just to cover expenses, wondering if any of this would work out.

Sonuvagun. Never surrender dreams.

This photo was taken a few months after I arrived in LA to further my writing career. Right in front of the Hollywood sign, no less. (With appropriate nearby signage.) Smug, cocky, self-involved little bastard.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.ph...9402959&type=1

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Since this may end up being discuss-worthy, I've moved the last several posts down to the existing Marriage Equality thread in Off Topic.

Jan

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Yes, the poster noted that while a number of Trek people (which I gather meant cast) had changed their profile pics, she hadn't noticed B5 people doing so.

While I don't disagree with JMS at all, in this particular case I did change my pic. Because sometimes there's really nothing an individual can do to help effect change except to show support. In the instance of the cases being argued before the Supreme Court this week, there's literally nothing else I can do to help. But in this case, doing that has entered the national conversation and CNN put together some interesting figures on what's happened on FB:

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...dia/?hpt=hp_t1

Jan

Leave a comment:

• Ubik
    replied
    I guess the comment may have been in relation to the Supreme court ruling / ongoing case?

I can see what JMS means about the 'badge wearing'. One part of me agrees, the other thinks it's a nice show of solidarity from the online community.

I for one will always support equality for all, regardless of race, age or sexual orientation.
    Last edited by Ubik; 03-27-2013, 06:00 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    I think the teasing is his way of sharing his excitement. Must be hard sometimes to wait for the 'official' announcement of something.

This was interesting. Many folks on FB have adopted a temporary avatar to show that they support marriage equality as tw important cases are being heard by the Supreme Court this week. A fan wondered that she hadn't seen any B5 folks changing theirs.

Some have, I believe that Pat has. I guess for myself, I've never felt the need to wear a badge that somehow validates my position or falls in with public trending. When folks blasted politicians because they didn't wear a flag pin, as if that somehow made them less patriotic, that was absurd and ridiculous to me. Your patriotism is judged by what you do, not a pin; any scoundrel can put on a pin, it's your actions that determind who you really are. My stance on marriage equality is pretty clear and I've made no bones about it, having posted and defended long messages here about the history of same sex marriage in and out of the church over the centuries. Some folks like to wear a pin or a profile picture, which I suppose is fine for them, but it's also a very easy thing to do. I'd rather let my actions speak for themselves rather than put up a picture that's trendy for a while then gets shifted to the next cause celebre (as was done with visual artists/green screen profiles). Kinda lets one off the hook and just move on. My positions are lifetime choices, not momentary shifts of profile pictures.

Leave a comment:

• Ubik
    replied
    "The next 24 hours should be very interesting indeed...."

JMS is such a tease! Obviously something big in the works or an announcement coming. I'm still amazed at how many people respond with 'New B5!?!?'.

Personally I hope it's some news on Sense8, or new SF TV from JMS.
    Last edited by Ubik; 03-27-2013, 02:34 AM.

Leave a comment:

• babylonlurker
    replied
    Originally posted by Jan View Post
    A fan posted a question about how fandom sometimes seems to take on aspects of religion. The poster asked what JMS' outlook on that was, since he had a unique perspective on the question.

I *so* hope that it does!! Having only read that tiny bit, the 'Never Surrender Dreams' essay, I really feel that there's probably some really important insights contained in it.

Jan
    Having watched B5 repeatedly , and having seen more of JMS' work, I think he has a strong contribution of insights. So I agree, Jan.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    A fan posted a question about how fandom sometimes seems to take on aspects of religion. The poster asked what JMS' outlook on that was, since he had a unique perspective on the question.

People sometimes get very casual in their use of the word religion. It properly refers to the belief in the existence and efficacy of supernatural beings. That is the basic dictionary definition of the thing. When fans of any form -- from football to SF -- get sufficiently engaged, it can produce an almost religious zeal, but it is not the same as religion, and should not be confused or conflated with same.

In terms of me, my beliefs and Babylon 5...when we were making the show, I knew I would be discussion Minbari and Foundationist beliefs, and just for my own purposes, so I was clear on it all, wrote what began as an essay and ended up as a small book putting forth the Foundation as a philosophy and sorta-kinda religion, which was and is very much in step with Minbari ideas. It's not a big book, but it's a goodly size, and in my view has some very cool ideas and some challenging notions that I haven't seen elsewhere.

From time to time, I consider releasing it, but then the specter of L. Ron Hubbard rises before me, and I reconsider. In my will there's a list of my unfinished or unpublished works divided into two parts: burn and don't burn. At present the book is in the burn category. But in time, who knows, that might change.
    I *so* hope that it does!! Having only read that tiny bit, the 'Never Surrender Dreams' essay, I really feel that there's probably some really important insights contained in it.

Jan

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Did you know there's a Studio JMS YouTube channel? It started with film of the dancing zombies from SDCC last year and in the last couple of days has added on the announcement videos and the first episode of JMS' City of Dreams audio dramas, "The Damned are Playing at Godzillas Tonight". Hope they add the rest, too.

http://www.youtube.com/user/StudioJMS2012/videos

Jan

Leave a comment:

• Ubik
    replied
    You know...that's one of the *oddest* visualizations I've ever had while awake!
    Glad to be of service!

I'm afraid Buddy might have a thing or six to say about it, too.

Buddy could perch on JMS' shoulder, and act as his 'keeper'. We all have our keepers!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X