X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jan
    replied
    This is embarrassing. I asked JMS a question and he answered it but I can't for the life of me remember exactly where the line he's talking about was used.

Originally posted by Jan Schroeder
    JMS, given how often your fans quote from your work, I got to wondering if you might have a quote or passage from your own work that you're particularly proud/fond of and what it is...whether we've seen it produced yet or not. Thanks.
    Originally posted by Fans of J. Michael Straczynski
    The line about telling the world "no, you move."
    I'm thinking it may not have been in his fiction? Anybody remember this?

ETA: A kind lurker (Hi, lurker! Thanks!) who saw this post reminded me that it was a conversation between Captain America and Spiderman during the Civil War storyline. JMS posted a link to this page: http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/...2758-page2.jpg

But it certainly bears typing out in full

Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right.

This nation was founded on one principle above all else: The requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences.

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth and tell the whole world--"No, you move."
    Jan
    (slinking away to turn in her fangirl card for not remembering that scene...)
    Last edited by Jan; 08-27-2013, 01:58 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Re-posted because I love "chronospatial nitwit"!

Originally posted by JMichael Straczynski
    When I was a kid, days passed like weeks; now week pass like days. What chronospatial nitwit is in charge here?
    Jan

Leave a comment:

• sftv
    replied
    Originally posted by Dan Dassow View Post
    This has me truly concerned about Joe. I am surprised that the doctor for the emergency room did not admit Joe to the hospital. Celluitis can quickly turn into sepsis, coma and death if not treated. The broad spectrum IV antibiotics typically used to treat celluitis, Vancomycin, Cafepime and Zocyn have to be monitored closely, since they can cause liver problems. The preferred oral antibiotic, Clindamycin, can also have nasty side effects.
    Another Comics Creator, Mike Grell, is recovering from Celluitis as well. He was scheduled to be at a local convention, CopperCon, a week ago, but canceled due to health reasons. There wasn't much information at the time, but he recently posted about his experience, which did include a lengthy hospital stay.

http://mikegrell.com/news/?p=701

Lee Whiteside

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    In response to a nice note somebody posted reminding JMS to please take care of himself:

Thank you for the kind words. Yeah, I tend to push myself a lot, I don't have a lot of patience with weakness so I generally just muscle through whatever's in front of me. Good news is I'm on the other side of the problem now, and rebuilding my regular writing schedule. Thanks again....
    Jan

Leave a comment:

• Dan Dassow
    replied
    To those who've noticed and inquired...I've been off the grid a lot lately in terms of posting. Long story still long: first week of July I got hit with a subcutaneous infection that turned into cellulitis, which if not treated quickly can actually turn fatal really fast. In and out of emergency rooms and spent 17 days on various antibiotics. Figured I was in okay shape for comic con even though I was still pretty shaky. Wrong. Came back to LA with a bit of a relapse and complications from all the treatments.
    This has me truly concerned about Joe. I am surprised that the doctor for the emergency room did not admit Joe to the hospital. Celluitis can quickly turn into sepsis, coma and death if not treated. The broad spectrum IV antibiotics typically used to treat celluitis, Vancomycin, Cafepime and Zocyn have to be monitored closely, since they can cause liver problems. The preferred oral antibiotic, Clindamycin, can also have nasty side effects.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    JMS has been pretty good about posting preview pages so we'll probably find out for sure right after Labor Day.

Jan

Leave a comment:

• Looney
    replied
    WOW! Glad Jan didn't miss this because I would have. I have to drive over fifty miles to the shop where I get my Ten Grand and I would have hated to make the trip and then find out the release was delayed. Thank you Jan!

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    JMS mentioned at SDCC that he almost didn't make it to the con because of this infection. Looks like he may have overdone it because he had a relapse afterward.

To those who've noticed and inquired...I've been off the grid a lot lately in terms of posting. Long story still long: first week of July I got hit with a subcutaneous infection that turned into cellulitis, which if not treated quickly can actually turn fatal really fast. In and out of emergency rooms and spent 17 days on various antibiotics. Figured I was in okay shape for comic con even though I was still pretty shaky. Wrong. Came back to LA with a bit of a relapse and complications from all the treatments.

Better now, feeling like myself for the first time in over a month. (Prior to this I was feeling mostly like Eleanor Roosevelt. I have no explanation for this.) Downside is that even though I was still getting some writing done, I lost a lot of work time, which I'm now striving to make up. (Consequently Ten Grand 5 may be slightly delayed, just by a week or so; I wasn't in any condition to give finalizing the issue the attention it needed for it to get to the printer in time.)

Which is another reason why I'm not posting much at the moment...figure it's better to use that time on work than indulging myself on posts. I'll do a bit, to be sure, but will still be ramping up for a while on this.

So all is good, have no fear, I'm past the worst of it, chugging probiotics, on the mend and catching back up on the work.
    https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...39652459402959

Jan

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Interesting points. Taking it down to the Ten Grand thread to reply.

Jan

Leave a comment:

• JoeD80
    replied
    Well the main complaint was about "women fridged" - the Bechdel thing was an aside at the end of the tweet.

I dunno; while I do think litmus testing art is silly on the surface, I did notice last time watching B5 that women interacting happened more often in scripts penned by the other writers. The woman in distress thing happens in B5 too, but I think he answered that nicely when Na'Toth was the one who rescued G'Kar, and having Marcus die when we thought Ivanova was going to go was a nice flip too.

However I think it's a blind spot in his writing that does exist a little bit - quite good at writing well-defined women characters; not so good at getting them to interact with each other. I haven't totally examined this in his other writings, just something that popped in my head recently.

I haven't read 10 Grand yet but I did buy the first three issues.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Found on Twitter. JMS responds to somebody complaining about how women are portrayed in 'Ten Grand' and that it fails the so-called Bechdel Test*:

Originally posted by JMichael Straczynski ‏@Straczynski
    @____ and the uncritical application of numerical, agenda-based analysis of creative work that ignores context fails my test.
    *1.It has to have at least two women in it,
    2.who talk to each other,
    3.about something besides a man
    <sarcasm> Of course it's supposed to be applied to movies, usually about two hours long so *of course* it's applicable to a 22-page comic! </sarcasm>

I love that he can fit so much in so few characters!

Jan

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Two very different posts by JMS last night:

Originally posted by Fans of J. Michael Straczynski} shared a link.

Okay, somebody explain to me how the hell he does this in 2D to look so much like 3D. [url
    http://alessandrodd.deviantart.com/gallery[/url]

Like lots of other people, I've watched with growing horror and dismay the sheer number of Republican-backed laws being shoved through limiting women's rights and in general going out of their way to kick women really really hard...and a thought occurred.

I don't talk about it a lot, but my father was not only a drunk and a deadbeat but also a wife-beater. Anything could set him off, but the one thing guaranteed to get a punch in the face was any attempt to "talk back" or act in ways he didn't like and/or couldn't control. Because in the end, these things always come down to control.

Looking at the last two presidential elections, but in particular the last one, it was women voters who tilted the results toward Obama in a big way. 55% of women voted for Obama, vs. 44% of women who voted for Romney (52% of men voted for Romney). In 2008 56% of women voted for Obama. These are voters who are almost certainly never going to vote Republican, and the party knows it.

Maybe it's curbside psychology, but I wonder if on some subliminal, cellular level, the more patriarchically inclined Republican leaders are reacting like abusive husbands, trying to punish the women out there who are talking back and not acting as they're supposed to (by some lights). It's the logic of "I'll give you something to cry about."

Anyway...just a thought.
    As always, discussion of either topic to Off Topic.

Jan

Leave a comment:

• Ubik
    replied
    Originally posted by Jan View Post
    Oh, the OP was banned before the thread ever started, so he wasn't even part of the conversation! There's pretty much always a few who simply want to argue about it, though.

Jan
    God, right... so that was someone else arguing the point bullheadedly?

Leave a comment:

• JoeD80
    replied
    They don't have much respect for JMS in the first place if they can't follow his wishes about story ideas.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Oh, the OP was banned before the thread ever started, so he wasn't even part of the conversation! There's pretty much always a few who simply want to argue about it, though.

I had a guy on a FB page a couple of weeks ago who'd (as usual) lost all respect for JMS after he'd sent his idea to JMS in email and JMS was 'grumpy' about it. I explained the dangers and what did the guy do? He sent it to me! Never heard back when I told him I wouldn't read it either.

Jan

Leave a comment:

Working...
X