X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jan
    replied
    Two very different posts by JMS last night:

Originally posted by Fans of J. Michael Straczynski} shared a link.

Okay, somebody explain to me how the hell he does this in 2D to look so much like 3D. [url
    http://alessandrodd.deviantart.com/gallery[/url]
    Originally posted by Fans of J. Michael Straczynski

Like lots of other people, I've watched with growing horror and dismay the sheer number of Republican-backed laws being shoved through limiting women's rights and in general going out of their way to kick women really really hard...and a thought occurred.

I don't talk about it a lot, but my father was not only a drunk and a deadbeat but also a wife-beater. Anything could set him off, but the one thing guaranteed to get a punch in the face was any attempt to "talk back" or act in ways he didn't like and/or couldn't control. Because in the end, these things always come down to control.

Looking at the last two presidential elections, but in particular the last one, it was women voters who tilted the results toward Obama in a big way. 55% of women voted for Obama, vs. 44% of women who voted for Romney (52% of men voted for Romney). In 2008 56% of women voted for Obama. These are voters who are almost certainly never going to vote Republican, and the party knows it.

Maybe it's curbside psychology, but I wonder if on some subliminal, cellular level, the more patriarchically inclined Republican leaders are reacting like abusive husbands, trying to punish the women out there who are talking back and not acting as they're supposed to (by some lights). It's the logic of "I'll give you something to cry about."

Anyway...just a thought.
    As always, discussion of either topic to Off Topic.

Jan

Leave a comment:

• Ubik
    replied
    Originally posted by Jan View Post
    Oh, the OP was banned before the thread ever started, so he wasn't even part of the conversation! There's pretty much always a few who simply want to argue about it, though.

Jan
    God, right... so that was someone else arguing the point bullheadedly?

Leave a comment:

• JoeD80
    replied
    They don't have much respect for JMS in the first place if they can't follow his wishes about story ideas.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Oh, the OP was banned before the thread ever started, so he wasn't even part of the conversation! There's pretty much always a few who simply want to argue about it, though.

I had a guy on a FB page a couple of weeks ago who'd (as usual) lost all respect for JMS after he'd sent his idea to JMS in email and JMS was 'grumpy' about it. I explained the dangers and what did the guy do? He sent it to me! Never heard back when I told him I wouldn't read it either.

Jan

Leave a comment:

• Ubik
    replied
    It was a painful thread to read, surprised it took the OP so long to catch on.
    Last edited by Ubik; 07-08-2013, 10:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

• JoeD80
    replied
    I saw that guy's World War Z post before it was removed; I figured a harsh response was coming. He totally said "I just saw WWZ, and this is the story that you that you need to do now! X,Y,Z...etc."

At least the fan on twitter had the decency to ask, "I have an idea, can I share?" "No."

Originally posted by Jan View Post
    And there ensued the usual conversation about how unlikely it was that anybody would ever sue JMS over an idea, etc., etc....
    Of course that is exactly what is happening to him with the whole Red Cowl business.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Somebody who grabbed JMS' name off of the credits from WWZ thought that it would be a good idea to post some drawn-out idea for a WWZ sequel on JMS Facebook page. (For those not familiar, that's the *only* request JMS has made for being accessible to fans - NO story ideas):

Just had a guy come on here and post a lengthy pitch for the next WWZ movie. Understand that for legal reasons there are NO story ideas allowed here, ever, and if someone is foolish enough to post one, especially this blatantly, the response is not just deletion but banning. I've been very clear about this over the years and yet there's always somebody who doesn't get the message. This is one of the few things that will earn someone the nuclear response of being banned. Just a reminder to all and sundry, especially sundry, as they always seem to be the last to get the message.
    And there ensued the usual conversation about how unlikely it was that anybody would ever sue JMS over an idea, etc., etc....

Jonathan: your argument is purely theoretical and philosophical and has absolutely nothing to do with the realities of being a working writer in a deeply litigious society. Writers have found themselves the targets of lawsuits and injunctions and other legal problems based on fan material/stories/ideas. Don't believe me? Go check into what happened to Marion Zimmer Bradley. That's just one story. There are many others.

Yes, of course there are many books and movies out there -- most of them written by professionals who understand that simultaneous creation happens -- but more to the point: THEY'RE ALREADY PUBLISHED. It's not the same in any way manner or form as someone -- in particular an amateur who doesn't understand the rules -- throwing a story at you that has NOT been published. That distinction makes everything more dicey.

Key to any such litigation is access. Lots of books get published every day, but I don't read all of them, no one can, and if there's a bone of contention, proving access is essential. But when someone gets in your face on a public page where I or any other writer hangs out consistently, sticks a finger in their chest and says HEY I GOT AN IDEA FOR A STORY FOR YOU, then access is confirmed. Even if deleted. You saw it. And that puts you at risk.

Further to that point: when I'm working on a project, I make it a point to avoid any other work that might influence me. I have the ability to make that choice. When someone ramrods an idea into my face he takes away that choice. Of the millions of books and movies and stories out there, I would like to be the one who chooses which of those I wish to expose myself. I refuse to surrender that choice to a total stranger.

To Frank: the guy who stormed in here with this shit was not a fan. He said up front he had no idea who I was, he came in here SPECIFICALLY and ONLY to vomit forth his story idea. So what happens if they make WWZ2, and it resembles that story? He sues me, he sues Paramount, and I lose two years of my life in drawn out litigation. Sorry, but you cannot -- CANNOT -- weigh two years of lost work and angst and career against some yahoo's desire to post a story idea and get banned. Especially someone who is NOT a fan.

But let's say he WAS a fan. The same thing would happen. Sorry, it's not "biting the hand that feeds you." It's about responsible behavior. This is a private party, and if you go into the host's home and willfully, deliberately and for your own amusement piss on the new Indian carpet, you're going to get booted. Actions have consequences.

Those who ARE fans of the work know that in return for being online for over twenty years, and posting tens of thousands of messages about the business and art of writing, I have only ever asked for one thing: no story ideas. That's all. Either you respect and abide by that, or you don't. If you don't, then one of two things have to happen: I leave, or the poster leaves. Because I cannot be where that is going on.

I've been down this road plenty of times before, and there are always some who say it's not fair, it's not right...but the thing is, the only thing those who like the work are truly entitled to is the work itself. Everything else is a bonus. Just because someone is a fan does not entitle them to throw story ideas at me or behave badly. Because I'll just go. I'm not being paid to be here, I'm here because I enjoy it. It's fun. When it stops being fun, when it endangers my livelihood, I'm gone.

That simple.
    And to one particularly stubborn poster:

And by the by, Jonathan...in terms of my "being confused"...I've been working as a writer since I was seventeen years old. I've written nearly 400 comics, 300 TV episodes, 5 movies and a buttload of articles. I've worked with corporate attorneys, literary attorneys, studio attorneys, litigation attorneys. I've helped other writers navigate the legal, corporate and financial aspects of being a writer for *decades*.

So what precisely have you done that equals that background that you feel you can describe me as being "confused" about my own fucking profession?
    The whole thread is here: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...39652459402959
    Last edited by Jan; 07-07-2013, 09:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    This is just *stunning*!!

Okay, totally freaking stunning...space journey doc comprised only of actual images, no CGI/VFX. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNce_8WHTGc#at=145
    Jan

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Can't be certain but I *think* there might be a note of sarcasm in this.

"Memo To: Mary Magdalene:

Hey, Mary. Listen, I really didn't want to bring this up or even do anything about it, but well, here's the problem. You're a beautiful woman. Seriously. I mean, really attractive. And the guys, they're...well, they're fishermen. They spend their days and nights thinking about...well, they're not thinking about fish, I can guarantee you that for sure. We're talking some pretty impure thoughts. I mean, on a scale from one to ten, some of the impure thoughts flying around here are spiking at eleven.

The thing is, I'm trying to get something going here, and we can't have any distractions or these 'impure thoughts.' It's the good of these twelve guys against the good of one, so I'm afraid we're going to have to throw you off the team, as it were. I'm sure you'll understand.

While we're at it, and I'm really about this, but there's not much I can do about it, I mean, you can't expect me to do everything...could you do me a favor and tell the lepers not to come around anymore? They're kind of grossing out the guys, and that's even worse than impure thoughts, y'know? Also the tax collectors because, well, do I really have to explain why anyone shouldn't be hanging out with tax collectors?

I know this is a real inconvenience, because it's not technically your fault, but those are the breaks, you know?

We need to play to the worst of who we might be instead of the best we might yet become.

Your pal,

JC"
    http://thinkprogress.org/sports/2013...hts-about-her/

Somebody posted that he'd been brought up not to hit girls and he thought that should still be taught rather than teaching them to knock them down in football. JMS responded:

Doug: sorry but you're living in a world that uses that idea to suppress women instead of letting them do what *they* want to do rather than what *you* think they should do. By your logic, there should not be women in sports at all, or in the military, or in any other endeavor that they might choose to be in even though they might get bruised in the process.

Given the choice between getting their skin bruised doing what they love, or getting their dreams crushed by not doing what they love, I suspect I know which would do the greatest damage.
    As usual, discussion to off-topic.

Jan
    Last edited by Jan; 06-24-2013, 10:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    This one's a JMS quote, but not something he said recently. I don't know anything about this publication and less about the situation they're talking about, but somebody just quoted Babylon 5 as the header to a newspaper column:

http://www.thesundayleader.lk/2013/0...matic-silence/

No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand. - J Michael Straczynski
    Jan
    Last edited by Jan; 06-22-2013, 02:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    And shifting over to Twitter...

Originally posted by JMichael Straczynski ‏@Straczynski
    9 Jun
    Finished the first installment of an outside project we'll announce at SDCC. A universe I've always wanted to play in (no, not Star Wars).
    9 Jun
    Blake's 7 would be lovely, but they've got things well in hand over there, they sure as heck don't need my help.
    9 Jun
    And by the way, exactly who do I have to fuck to get a blue checkmark verified thingy next to my name? Huh? Huh?
    (this refers to getting verified by Twitter that you're actually the celeb you appear to be. Pat Tallman's been trying for that also)

And there was a totally warped conversation about popes and pokes and boobs and monitors and respect and...well...you really just need to go over there and click all the discussion links. https://twitter.com/straczynski If you don't LOL at least once, your money back!

Jan

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Over the weekend, JMS was asked for his thoughts about the NSA leak pertaining to tapping phone and internet records and whether such actions are needed:

Need is not the issue, nor is safety. If you really want to ensure everyone's safety, then simply cancel the bill of rights in its entirety, question and surveil everyone, do random searches of homes and offices and personal belongings, and the problem will diminish. And so will the country.

We cannot pass on our safety to our inheritors. We can only pass on the freedoms that have been hard won over a very long time, and this is simply one more inch in the inch-by-inch clawing away of those rights to privacy. Nixon was impeached and left office over having been involved in wiretapping just a few folks. How far our perceptions of what's allowable have changed.
    As always, if you want to discuss this in depth, please take it to the Off Topic forum.

Another couple of posts:

With obvious western bias: if Paris was the center of art and writing and intellectualism and culture in the twenties and thirties, New York in the forties and fifties, London and San Francisco in the sixties...where is that cultural center today?
    Many responses nominated Silicon Valley and/or the Internet:

Silicon Valley has tech and innovation but unless I missed something not a lot of art or poetry or music or culture. Hotbeds of writers and artists and musicians creating amazing things in an artistic gestalt that affects the world.
    I disagree that it's the Internet because a) I specifically was addressing physical locations, where artists and writers and others can look across a table at each other and learn from and give to each other, and form communities that move the culture forward, and b) there's as much crap and foolishness on the internet as there is smart stuff. So it flattens the whole thing down.

What I'm after -- and maybe it *doesn't* exist anymore -- is that singular cultural starburst that is remarkable in and after its time for the sheer volume of culture-changing artists it produces.

Again, going back to the specific examples: in Paris in the 20s and 30s, in that one tiny little center of the world, counting the ex-pats, you had Sherwood Anderson, Djuna Barnes, Samuel Beckett, Kay Boyle, John Dos Passos, Lawrence Durrell, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Ford Madox Ford, Hilda Doolittle, Ernest Hemingway, James Joyce, Henry Miller, Ana┬┤s Nin, Ezra Pound, and Gertrude Stein. It was art deco and surrealism and Josephine Baker.

In New York in the 40s and 50s you had Salinger, Kerouac, Ginsberg, Burroughs, Didion, Dylan (Bob and Thomas), Buckley, Mailer, Jason Pollock and the Village Voice and abstract expressionism, the birth of anthology television, Talese, Trillin and the explosion of theater and art and music.

We're talking bubbles that elevate and ennoble and force the culture to turn upward whether it likes it or not.

It's not the Internet because it's so pervasive and broad as to be meaningless in terms of art. For every person putting up a really cool painting there are ten people putting up cat videos. It's not about what's moving technology forward, it's what's moving the culture forward in art and music and literature? Show me the Ginsberg or the Kerouac or the Pollock or the Gertrude Stein or the Salinger of the internet. Show me the voices of a new generation howling at the failures of the previous one, and in so doing carving out a whole new cultural world for themselves.

In thinking about this some more last night, it occurred to me that maybe the question has its own answer. In Paris in the 20s and 30s you had expatriates and misfits and oddballs gathering up in one location and feeding into each other, creating a community that escaped the vapidness of the rest of the world. New York in the 40s and 50s were where the next bunch of misfits went to escape the America of Eisenhower and post-WW2 conformity. London and San Francisco in the 60s were where the next generation escaped to in search of identity and community.

Maybe the problem is that conformity and anti-intellectualism means that there's simply nowhere left for the misfits to escape to. Maybe the last escape route has been torn out and paved over.

It would be terrible if that were true.
    Jan

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Investing in the future:

Two of my former high school teachers -- Jo Ann Seiple and Rochelle Terry -- and I got together recently to create a scholarship program that would recognize the graduating student of Chula Vista High School who demonstrates the most potential for becoming a writer. Each year's winner will receive a check for two thousand dollars to be used for college tuition and other education-related expenses.

We are pleased to announce that CVHS Class of 2013 graduate Stephen Shinder is the first recipient of the Seiple-Terry-Straczynski Scholarship Fund. Our congratulations go out to Stephen, who his already trying his hand at writing poetry and short fiction in the mystery and fantasy genres, and we wish him the very best of luck in his creative endeavors. We expect to hear great things about him in the future.
    Congratulations to Stephen!

Jan

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    One doesn't often find actual discussions on Twitter but I found this series of exchanges interesting:

https://twitter.com/straczynski/stat...57444722135040

Also, in an interesting crossover, a few days ago on FB, a former classmate of JMS' reminded him about a paper JMS had written in both English and Elvish. Last night on Twitter, JMS posted that he'd found the paper and posted a photo:

JMichael Straczynski ‏@Straczynski]
    Was recently reminded that in college Fantasy Lit class I turned in a paper on LoTR written in English and Elvish. I was and am such a geek
    Oh crap I found it in the archives. pic.twitter.com/lWZRq52U2f
    That paper was from 1973 and looking back I have absolutely no idea if I was even vaguely accurate with any of it.
    Jan

Leave a comment:

• phazedout
    replied
    looking at him there's definitely some maine coon in there, just from the fur's perspective.

My own cats may be leaving me soon enough, for reasons I cannot discuss here.

Alan

Leave a comment:

Working...
X