Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting JMS Facebook Posts & Tweets

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Jan View Post
    Yeah - I went from being an Admin to banned in about 3 days when Sense8 was cancelled. Oops! I really did feel bad about the abuse that JMS was subjected to when he <gasp!> explained what his long experience told him would be reality when the show was cancelled.
    I remember that all too well.
    Also the abuse JMS got, especially on Twitter. I was disappointed when he finally ceased all talk about Sense8. Not in JMS, of course, but in the idiots pressuring him into making that decision.
    Jan from Denmark

    My blog :

    http://www.babylonlurker.dk

    "Our thoughts form the Universe - they *always* matter"

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Ubik View Post
      I sometimes have to facepalm at the militant Sense8 fans who seems to struggle with any other viewpoint other than their own.
      It never fails that those who yell loudest about freedom are unwilling to give freedom to others; those who yell loudest about inclusion cannot include the differing opinions of others; those who praise Jesus the loudest refuse to follow his actual teachings; and the list goes on and on. So many people desperately want their viewpoint to be heard and respected just so long as NO ONE ELSE SAYS ANYTHING DIFFERENT EVER! *sigh* Rant over.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by sarthaz View Post
        It never fails that those who yell loudest about freedom are unwilling to give freedom to others; those who yell loudest about inclusion cannot include the differing opinions of others; those who praise Jesus the loudest refuse to follow his actual teachings; and the list goes on and on. So many people desperately want their viewpoint to be heard and respected just so long as NO ONE ELSE SAYS ANYTHING DIFFERENT EVER! *sigh* Rant over.
        I agree with everything you just said, but for one thing. At the end you mention respect and listening to others viewpoints, but should I have to listen to the viewpoints of the people you described? If they aren't hearing what I am saying then should anyone give them a voice? I mean that it is becoming so difficult to remain tolerant of the intolerant. It is becoming a cycle. Be tolerant of people like this until their ignorance and hate makes you one of them.

        But that was a great rant sarthaz. It is my burden that I am becoming intolerant of the intolerant and those who bounce back and forth between tolerance and intolerance on an hourly basis with lies and half truths to keep everything off balance for their own personal gain.
        Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Looney View Post
          I agree with everything you just said, but for one thing. At the end you mention respect and listening to others viewpoints, but should I have to listen to the viewpoints of the people you described? If they aren't hearing what I am saying then should anyone give them a voice? I mean that it is becoming so difficult to remain tolerant of the intolerant. It is becoming a cycle. Be tolerant of people like this until their ignorance and hate makes you one of them.

          But that was a great rant sarthaz. It is my burden that I am becoming intolerant of the intolerant and those who bounce back and forth between tolerance and intolerance on an hourly basis with lies and half truths to keep everything off balance for their own personal gain.
          All I've observed is that social media is a terrible platform for meaningful debate, and I recall a great line that JMS came out with when initially talking about Sense8, that we've been 'marginalized, tribalized and factionalized to within an inch of our lives", this rings very true... on BOTH sides of the argument. I often feel Sense8 makes an amazing point, but also trips itself up by being overly simplistic about 'the bad guys' like the state, police and corporations. It's where the show falls down for me, especially with how everyone outside of the cluster is rendered.
          Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

          Kosh: Good!

          Comment


          • JMS: &quot;big stuff on the horizon&quot;

            jms retweet (about 12 hours ago):
            "I can't, alas...there's some big stuff on the horizon, just waiting for a few things to get finalized...with luck I can talk about them in the next 6-8 weeks."

            Did he mentioned some coming "big stuff" before?

            B5-Stefan


            --
            "You can't fool me. I knew Kosh. I worked with Kosh. Kosh was my friend. You are no Kosh."
            [JMS, 06-23-1994]

            Comment


            • Originally posted by B5-Stefan View Post
              jms retweet (about 12 hours ago):
              "I can't, alas...there's some big stuff on the horizon, just waiting for a few things to get finalized...with luck I can talk about them in the next 6-8 weeks."

              Did he mentioned some coming "big stuff" before?
              Only that he had obligations that are keeping him from San Diego Comic-Con this year. Let's hope he'll be able to talk about the new things soon. I've counted on the SDCC update for ages.
              "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

              Comment


              • Yes, while we know he won't be at SDCC, we should all hope he makes a big announcement during SDCC. I think we all can agree 07.19.2018 or 07.21.2018 would be the best dates for his announcement.
                Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Looney View Post
                  Yes, while we know he won't be at SDCC, we should all hope he makes a big announcement during SDCC. I think we all can agree 07.19.2018 or 07.21.2018 would be the best dates for his announcement.
                  Can't imagine why you'd say something like that....<innocent look> At any rate, those dates are *before* the 6-8 weeks he guestimated. Not to mention that he's generally optimistic in those guesses, so you'll probably have the chance to guess again.
                  "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

                  Comment


                  • Oeconomics

                    JMS yesterday tweet (thread about Reagonomics)
                    "But since the people who *can* make it work, *won't* make it work, and there's no way to *force* them to make it work..."

                    Reading this, I spontaneous thought to myself: Yes, it's Warners.

                    B5-Stefan


                    --
                    Max Eilerson: "Nations rise and fall. Planets live and die.
                    But corporations go on and on, through good times and bad, because it's all about profit.
                    "
                    [Crusade: "Racing the Night"]

                    Comment


                    • Once again: B5HD4:3

                      Brian Young tweet:
                      "In theory, how much would it cost to transfer ONE episode of B5 from archive film to HD, as proof of concept?"

                      JMS re-tweet:
                      "Not much at all since it's just a straight film-to-digital transfer from the original 4:3 masters. Pocket change."

                      Another JMS re-tweet about this:
                      "I can't do it, I don't own the film or have access to it. Only WB does and they have no interest. @PrimeVideo would have to ask them to do it and so far they haven't."

                      Poor!


                      Why the heck, nobody [WB or AmazonPrime] is doing it?

                      So: perhaps ONE ep. -say SiL- to DVD; and publish it with some additional footage like commentaries/interviews with JMS, Bruce Boxleitner, Mira Furlan and so on.

                      At low cost the "Powers to Be" could easily test the waters: if this would suck or would be a bumper sale.
                      Hopefully beeing the latter. What could lead them to transfer the whole series.


                      Remember: it's Friday the 13th!

                      B5-Ste ;-) fan

                      --
                      Morden: "It's like knocking over an ant-hill.
                      Every new generation gets stronger, the ant-hill gets redesigned, made better
                      "
                      [Babylon5, Z'ha'dum]

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by B5-Stefan View Post
                        Brian Young tweet:
                        "In theory, how much would it cost to transfer ONE episode of B5 from archive film to HD, as proof of concept?"

                        JMS re-tweet:
                        "Not much at all since it's just a straight film-to-digital transfer from the original 4:3 masters. Pocket change."

                        Another JMS re-tweet about this:
                        "I can't do it, I don't own the film or have access to it. Only WB does and they have no interest. @PrimeVideo would have to ask them to do it and so far they haven't."

                        Poor!


                        Why the heck, nobody [WB or AmazonPrime] is doing it?
                        Is he still pushing that nonsense, or are those old tweets from a month or two ago.

                        I know it’s a popular stance by some . . . . that jms was B5’s show runner/writer/creator or Great Maker so he always knows what he’s talking about. I also know that blaming Warner Brothers (or any studio for that matter) is a popular bolt hole for fans when it comes to about any negative subject imaginable regarding any show imaginable – so a fair few will not question what is said. But on this occasion he’s just plain wrong about how easy it is to get a good quality copy of B5 made. . . . . . I don’t understand why, after twenty odd years, he’s now telling anyone who will listen that there’s film negatives of everything so all Warner have to do is basically print a new copy . . . . . . (including the composites and CGI which was transferred to film. . . . . but they weren’t). I REALLY hope he’s somehow got the wrong end of a stick regarding the FX on film and isn’t letting go, rather than it being another example of him trying to generate column inches on “news” sites which will repeat what he’s saying.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Triple F View Post
                          Is he still pushing that nonsense, or are those old tweets from a month or two ago.

                          I know it’s a popular stance by some . . . . that jms was B5’s show runner/writer/creator or Great Maker so he always knows what he’s talking about. I also know that blaming Warner Brothers (or any studio for that matter) is a popular bolt hole for fans when it comes to about any negative subject imaginable regarding any show imaginable – so a fair few will not question what is said. But on this occasion he’s just plain wrong about how easy it is to get a good quality copy of B5 made. . . . . . I don’t understand why, after twenty odd years, he’s now telling anyone who will listen that there’s film negatives of everything so all Warner have to do is basically print a new copy . . . . . . (including the composites and CGI which was transferred to film. . . . . but they weren’t). I REALLY hope he’s somehow got the wrong end of a stick regarding the FX on film and isn’t letting go, rather than it being another example of him trying to generate column inches on “news” sites which will repeat what he’s saying.
                          They're new. And frankly, I haven't seen any other statements from anybody who'd be sure to know better than he would. Nobody.

                          As for 'column inches', Let me put this gently - bullshit.
                          "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Jan View Post
                            They're new. And frankly, I haven't seen any other statements from anybody who'd be sure to know better than he would. Nobody.

                            As for 'column inches', Let me put this gently - bullshit.
                            Jan, you’re arguably jms’s biggest fan – you’re certainly one of the most active, and the online fandom (on balance) is all the better for the sort of things you bring to the table. . . . But, because of that activity you know fine well that I’ve already shown people who are in the know who have said that the FX and CGI is NOT on film. . . so why are you basically denying it. OK, maybe this will register this time.

                            From John Copeland (on B5Scrolls nearly 10 years ago) emphasis added by me.

                            But at the end of every season we delivered all the VFX shots for each episode on a exabyte tape (the precursor to DLT) which WB were supposed to run through a "black box" - actually an early TerranX - to upres them and then cut them into the retransferred shows in 16x9 for home video release. For whatever reason, they didn't do it. I think Warren Leiberfarb, then head of Warners Home Video wouldn't authorize the expense for this.
                            The FX were delivered to Warner Brothers at the end of each season on TAPE not FILM as jms states, and they were meant to be properly upres’ed and added to any new transfer of the live action that WERE on film.

                            From John Copeland from a 2018 interview where he again highlights that the FX are held separately, and would need to be added to any new print of the live action (which is the only bit held on film).

                            John Copeland confirmed this, saying "They [Warner Bros.] have everything they would need, except for the pilot." (That's because the warehouse where the materials for the 1993 pilot movie The Gathering were stored were damaged by the Northridge earthquake.) "They could go back to the negative and, assemble the negative and re-transfer it in HD, and all they would have to do is upconvert the VFX footage."
                            You wouldn’t need to separately “upconvert” the FX if they were held on film – if they were on film (as jms is telling folks) they would be upconverted automatically as part of the transfer from film . . . . But they’re NOT on film, hence the need for some sort of separate process . . . . AND COST. . . . . and in direct response to what jms said about the FX being on film, this is from Adam Buckner over on facebook who was an editor on the first season. (he can’t speak with authority for the later seasons)

                            I can say without a shadow of a doubt that S1, and I believe S2, the VFX never reached film. The original domestic distribution was in D1. We did a new cut for foreign distribution, but we left black for all of the VFX shots, as rattlesnake didn't want to pay for converting and scanning the VFX, so when the PAL ( and, who knows? SECAM?? ) digital was taken from the film, the VFX shots were added as a digital conversions and dropped in to fill the holes - with ending obvious crane of resolution and tone.”’
                            As for the bull shit comment. I hope you’re correct, I really do. But a few years ago I expressed doubt about jms and his claims of creating a B5 movie, and how it felt more like a cynical way to promote Sense8 due to all the attention that claim generated . . . . Still waiting for the movie to be even written - two years after it was confidently stated that it would be in theatres by 2016 (there was no ambiguity, doubt or caveats in his original timetable for the movie). This whole hi-def B5 is just a quick transfer away, especially as it’s came out of nowhere, just has the same sort of feel to it. An empty comment which does nothing other than get some fans excited – and ultimately dissapointed while blaming WB – while being repeated on various blogs and “news” sites.

                            Anyway, there’s a couple of people who are in the know who specifically tell you that there was no transfer of the FX to film. . . . . They’re on TAPE. . . . . . But, I suspect, all that is falling on deaf ears . . . again. I’ve shown you these sort of things just a week or so ago (and it's easy enough to dig up other examples) yet up thread you said no one in the know is contradicting what jms is saying . . . Sigh . . . . Fingers in the ears and humming real loud. : )

                            BTW. When speaking with Kevin Kutchaver a few years back (he did all the roto work – PPG blasts etc. for the first couple of seasons), he was telling me how he experimented with transferring those composite type shots to film (live action with added FX) . . . . he was experimenting exactly because the production weren’t putting those on film . . . . Apparently it worked quite well, but he was doing that for his own curiosity. He also pointed out that it wasn't a cheap option, which is probably a big part of why Babylonian didn't transfer them to film and instead gave Warner tapes. . . . . Sorry, but as mentioned earlier, jms is just wrong on this.
                            Last edited by Triple F; 07-13-2018, 01:20 PM.

                            Comment


                            • Yes, Tom I know all about those quotes and please don't rephrase what I said to "denying it". Never did anything of the sort. Let me repeat: "And frankly, I haven't seen any other statements from anybody who'd be sure to know better than he would. Nobody." Is that clear now? Obviously there were many people who were there but JMS is the one who had to sign off - quite literally for payment - on what was done. So again, I don't see that anybody else would know better. Could he be mistaken? Sure. But quit with the drumming up column inches.

                              As for your "expressed doubt about jms and his claims of creating a B5 movie" (see how easy true quoting is?), let me repeat: Bullshit. Why? Because things go into development all the time in show business. Just a partial list of the things that JMS has mentioned being in development over time that never came to fruition:

                              "The Flickering Light"
                              "Living Dead - the Musical"
                              "The Adventures of Apocalypse Al" both radio and webseries
                              "Repent Harlequin!..."
                              "Two Streets"
                              "The Dive"
                              "The Illustrated Man"
                              "Rod Serling's Night Gallery (with Stephen Furst)
                              "Titans"
                              "Vlad Dracula"
                              "Voices from the Dead"
                              "Red Mars"

                              and many, many more. So why are you fixated on the B5 movie? That's how it goes. At least 95% of projects in development founder. So please get over the idea that he's hungry for publicity.
                              "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Jan View Post
                                Yes, Tom I know all about those quotes and please don't rephrase what I said to "denying it". Never did anything of the sort. Let me repeat: "And frankly, I haven't seen any other statements from anybody who'd be sure to know better than he would. Nobody." Is that clear now? Obviously there were many people who were there but JMS is the one who had to sign off - quite literally for payment - on what was done. So again, I don't see that anybody else would know better. Could he be mistaken? Sure. But quit with the drumming up column inches.

                                As for your "expressed doubt about jms and his claims of creating a B5 movie" (see how easy true quoting is?), let me repeat: Bullshit. Why? Because things go into development all the time in show business. Just a partial list of the things that JMS has mentioned being in development over time that never came to fruition:

                                "The Flickering Light"
                                "Living Dead - the Musical"
                                "The Adventures of Apocalypse Al" both radio and webseries
                                "Repent Harlequin!..."
                                "Two Streets"
                                "The Dive"
                                "The Illustrated Man"
                                "Rod Serling's Night Gallery (with Stephen Furst)
                                "Titans"
                                "Vlad Dracula"
                                "Voices from the Dead"
                                "Red Mars"

                                and many, many more. So why are you fixated on the B5 movie? That's how it goes. At least 95% of projects in development founder. So please get over the idea that he's hungry for publicity.
                                . . . . Fixated on the B5 movie!? I mentioned it in response to the bullshit thing, but you already know that, and the reason why he was so confident that a movie was going to be made was because it was his studio that was going to produce it. Anyway, the B5 movie is neither here nor there.

                                My original comments relate to him making some incorrect statements, which give fans false hope of an easily produced hi-def copy of the show – and as for him signing off on things so he will probably know better than anyone else . . . well, bullshit to that. Doug Netter was the senior partner, and it has been shown time and again, jms can make mistakes when it comes to the more technical side of things, especially if it was an area where Netter was involved.

                                As for what others are saying, who were involved in the more technical side, you apparently don’t view them as being credible. . . or at least not as credible as jms. Which goes back to you being jms’s biggest fan and the very first thing I said about how some view everything he says with more weight because he was the showrunner/writer or Great Maker. Which is a rather silly thing to do.

                                Either way -like mine - you’re opinion is just that of a fan and jms is still wrong. The only doubt is why is he telling folks that, and for me at least it’s 50/50 on it being a cynical move or just an honest mistake. . . . . and no, I won’t lay off the idea that he’s possibly doing this as a way to generate column inches. Who the hell do you think you are. I’m not saying that’s what he is doing, but it is one possible reason for making such silly comments and I’m pretty sure this is a discussion forum, so it’s a valid thing to bring up during a discussion.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X