X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jan
    replied
    Let's remember to take discussion down to Off Topic...

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...39652459402959

Originally posted by Fans of J. Michael Straczynski

One of the most dismaying things about seeing the official response to protests against police violence, a response that all too often translates to “just obey the law and you won’t find yourself in a position where you’ll get hurt” is that this ignores what laws are actually for, why they are necessary to any civilized society, and why the lawlessness is on the other side of this issue as much as the one they insist is the problem.

To explain.

There was a time, not that long ago, when those in authority – royalty, the landed wealthy, aristocrats and their carefully selected officials – could pick up anyone and incarcerate them for as long as they desired without recourse to trial, charges, or reasonable cause. They could do whatever they liked to the citizenry, who were expected to simply bear those actions, and who had no recourse against them. No penalties were assessed for cruelty, murder, or other savageries.

When revolutions against that status quo erupted in France, North America and elsewhere, those tasked with designing new constitutions knew that these emerging nations had to be governments of laws, and that these laws were not simply for the purpose of punishing the guilty, but – and this is the part too often neglected in the current discourse – they were about protecting the innocent and restricting the over-reach of the state.

To wit:

Before the government could arrest anyone for anything, it first had to determine what was, in fact, illegal. They not only had to decide it, they had to codify it, in writing, so everyone could see it and nobody could be ambushed by a law springing up at the last moment or after the fact just for someone’s convenience. If it wasn’t codified as illegal…it wasn’t illegal.
    If someone was arrested, the state would have to publically announce which of these laws was violated, by whom, and how. It would only have a limited time in which to do this, and they would have to actually prove that these laws were broken. It couldn’t just be their word against the accused. They would have to present evidence that was compelling and beyond a reasonable doubt, and there would be strict limitations regulating how that evidence could be gathered, and what could be legally introduced.

To make the process even more difficult, the state would have to make its case to members of the accused’s own community. After all that, if the state finally prevailed in this process, the penalties would also have to be publicly codified and specified before anyone was ever brought to trial.

These birthing governments chose to handcuff themselves, to make it more difficult, not simpler, to arrest its citizens. It was a remarkable achievement, potentially the most remarkable in human history. Such power had never been given away before.

That’s what it means to be a government based on laws…not just the prosecution of the guilty, but the protection of the innocent.

In recent months, we have seen a radical upswing in innocent or unarmed citizens gunned down, tasered, submitted to lethal chokeholds and beatings, generally without any kind of recourse or penalty against those responsible. This is a return to the kind of savagery associated with the abuses committed by aristocracy. It is clear and unambiguous evidence of a rogue police force no longer answerable to their community, but only to the state, whose orders trump the rights of its citizens.

It is, in short, the very sort of lawlessness that officials are accusing the protestors of facilitating.

“Just obey the law,” they say.

But the protests are not about lawlessness…if anything, they are about enforcing the rule of law, the principle that the innocent can go about their lives without fear of assault or abuse, and that citizens cannot simply be murdered without recourse, principles that were at the very core of the desire to found this country as a nation of laws.

The protests are not about dismantling the laws, but rather seeing them respected as they were originally meant to be respected, applied as they were meant to be applied, not just against civilians, but against abuses by the state.

If those charged with *enforcing* the laws do not themselves *abide* by the laws, the system crumbles.

And that is what these protests are about.
    Somebody said that there's nothing anybody can do 'but whine'.

Originally posted by Fans of J. Michael Straczynski
    That's the other danger of militarizing the police. Local officers from the community are answerable to that community; an invading army with tanks and assault rifles and APVs and immunity from prosecution is answerable only to itself.
    Last edited by Jan; 12-23-2014, 04:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    I don't retweet terribly often but this time I did.

Originally posted by JMichael Straczynski
    Yo, Sony, Instead of canning The Interview to satisfy terrorists, make it a free download available around the world. Especially Korea.
    I was sorry to see that they caved. I understand it but...once upon a time, there'd already be lines for tickets after the threats made.

Jan

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    This is fun.

First, go here and read the comic:
    http://candorville.com/2014/12/07/ba...-of-vir-cotto/

JMS replied on Facebook:

Originally posted by JMS
    Here is the answer to your question: Vir said what he said because he grew up in, and was part of a culture that did not allow for any contrary or socially unacceptable responses. My job as a writer is to write what is true for that given character, not what is true or right in my personal or political view.

Case in point: a lot of religious characters came through the show, many central to the narrative -- priests, monks, rabbis -- espousing views that I as an atheist do not agree with. My job was to present those characters, and their views, authentically to who they are and what they believe. For this the show has gotten much regard.

Vir's comments reflect not my or your points of view, but rather the point of view of the society in which he was born, was still living in, and thus very much in thrall to. Further, his personal journey and the widening of his own point of view was still very much in process; he did not become the fully freed person he needed to be until later in the narrative, despite some of his good actions here and elsewhere. You write the process, you don't jump right to the results.
    Ask a silly question, get a serious answer. ;-)

ETA: This is pretty cool. The cartoonist replied to JMS and JMS responded again. https://www.facebook.com/candorville...52508674182876

Jan
    Last edited by Jan; 12-07-2014, 08:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    JMS squashes a rumor:

‏@straczynski 53m53 minutes ago
    Getting emails about this Trek Axanar project, I'm not involved, and hadn't heard of it until the inquiries started http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=623783
    Jan

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Originally posted by phazedout View Post
    did ponder putting this in the sense8 thread, Jan, feel free to move if you deem appropiate.
    Alan
    Thanks for posting this. I think this is one that deserves to be in both places so I've added it to that thread along with a couple of follow-up posts from JMS.

Jan

Leave a comment:

• phazedout
    replied
    Originally posted by Jms
    I have been online, talking about the work, the various TV series, and the behind-the-scenes stuff, since November 20, 1991. (Technically, I was online far earlier than that, logging onto usenet groups with a 28.8 modem, but thats when I officially started talking about Babylon 5.)

From that point to right now, 23 years later, I have always been very judicious in the things I say about the work I do. I don’t make claims that later turn out to be false, and when I evaluate the coming work I’m always painfully honest, detailing both where it succeeds, and where it falls short.

For 23 years I’ve kept every promise I ever made online. Which is why I don’t make many of them. I want to be *sure* before I open my yap.

When we did Babylon 5, we were the first series to create a five-year-arc, and I said at the time that other shows would follow up on this model. This has come true with a vengeance in shows like Battlestar Galactica and Lost and many others.

We were the first TV series to use CGI extensively for spaceships, alien worlds, virtual sets and CGI creatures. We said it was the coming wave. Lots of folks made fun of that and said that models were the way to go. Now it’s the dominant technology.

We were among the very first TV series to shoot 16x9 format, which has now become the standard.

We were one of the first series to produce an aggressive 5.1 audio mix for TV at a time when most shows were barely handling stereo, and said it would become the standard. It has.

We did everything we said we were going to do. Every promise we made, we kept.

And now that we’re about a month from the end of shooting on season one of Sense8, with vast amounts of the footage now in hand, I’m sufficiently confident with what we’re doing to make another promise.

Sense8 is going to debut on Netflix in 2015. And it is going to change the way you see television, in terms of production values, storytelling, scope, scale, and action. All of it.

We are going to tell a story on a planetary scale. No cheats. In ways no one else has ever done before.

We are going to treat subjects that most TV series, and pretty much all SF series have avoided.

We are going to present visuals and action in ways that you have simply never, ever seen before. Anywhere.

In 2015 we are going to blow the doors off the television business.

Count on it.
    did ponder putting this in the sense8 thread, Jan, feel free to move if you deem appropiate.
    Alan
    Last edited by phazedout; 10-13-2014, 12:18 AM. Reason: forum cannot deal with apostraphies!

Leave a comment:

• Looney
    replied
    Ah wonderful. I have a new favorite saying.

LOOK OUT ! ! ! ! One just flew past my head.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Originally posted by JoeD80 View Post
    It's that Chris Claremont was allowed to write whatever he wanted without the editors interfering and throwing events on top of him.
    Ah, that makes sense. Thanks.

And now, here's a mental picture courtesy of JMS that may never leave you:

Originally posted by JMS
    So get this: I'm flipping channels last night, and go over to Hulu, and notice they're carrying the original He-Man series. For shits and grins, I go and check it out. The listings carry the original airdate for each episode. Turns out my first aired episode of He-Man was broadcast on 9/27/84. For some reason I had it in my head that it was 85 or so.

Which means that as of a couple of weeks ago, I've been doing this TV/film thing pretty much nonstop for thirty years. Which is even more improbable given a) that I have a personality like a mouth full of sawdust, b) I'm a pain in the ass, and c) the career lifespan of the average TV writer is about ten years, so obviously I've stolen the creative karma of at least two other writers, and maybe more.

Holy flying fuckballs....
    C'mon, tell me you didn't picture giant testicles wafting through the air on little wings (a la Red Bull). You know you did!

Jan

Leave a comment:

• JoeD80
    replied
    It's that Chris Claremont was allowed to write whatever he wanted without the editors interfering and throwing events on top of him.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Maybe somebody can explain the significance of this request to me?

Originally posted by a fan
    If Marvel asked you to write the equivalent of Chris Claremont's 'X-Men: Forever' but for Spider-Man, would you?
    Originally posted by JMS
    Absolutely. The only requirement I'd make is that we don't solicit the book until all the scripts and 60% of the art is in.
    Originally posted by JMS
    As a hedge against missing pub dates, that's all...the TV thing is very crazy right now and banking scripts would protect readers.
    So what happened with X-Men: Forever that could translate to Spidey?

Jan

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    JMS answered a question on Facebook about both Protector's Inc. being shortened and asking for news about the 'Vlad Dracula' project:

Originally posted by JMS
    We realized that going to 12 would be stretching out the story unnecessarily, why pad it out and make fans pay for two issues when they don't have to? On the other point: yeah, it got killed by the NBC Dracula series, and when that ended, the moment had passed and they'd moved on.
    Jan

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Originally posted by babylonlurker View Post
    I suspect he never sleeps
    Indeed. Somebody asked him if it bothered him when people said he was superhuman (paraphrasing) and he responded.

Originally posted by JMS
    I think the more you pursue your passion to the fullest extent of your ability, running as fast as you can as long as you enjoy the chase, the more human it makes you, not less.
    And in the spirit of Halloween coming soon, JMS posted a link to one of his City of Dreams audio dramas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77vMnERHWao

The framing story reminded me of the Bill Cosby routine:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlmIeH7DT_w

Jan

Leave a comment:

• babylonlurker
    replied
    Originally posted by Jan View Post
    Obviously JMS doesn't have enough to do:

Jan
    I suspect he never sleeps

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Obviously JMS doesn't have enough to do:

Originally posted by JMS
    Out the door: the revised Shadowman screenplay, the last issue of the Terminator 12 issue run, 1 more left on Ten Grand...actually seeing daylight. And we're about 7 weeks from the end of filming on Sense8 Season One. Nearing the home stretch....
    Asked about the B5 movie:
    Originally posted by JMS
    Script in 2015, looking to produce in 2016.
    When people commented on the workload:
    Originally posted by JMS
    And there's four that aren't even announced yet....

Jan

Leave a comment:

• Dan Dassow
    replied
    Posted on September 13, 2014.

Originally posted by ems
    ‏@lonelygirlem 8h

I want my:
    Fears
    Anxieties
    Disorders
    Flaws
    GONE

As all they do is mess up my life and everyone else's :'(
    ‏@straczynski 4h

@lonelygirlem Bear in mind, though, that all those things are what will make you interesting and successful later.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X