New JMS interview, Comic Heroes #8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New JMS interview, Comic Heroes #8

I hope folks will forgive the totally self-serving plug, but I just posted this info on JMS's Facebook page so I might as well mention it here as well. A bunch of folks have asked me what happened with the JMS interview I mentioned a while back. Well, it's in the current issue of Comic Heroes (#8) which I believe is on sale in the UK right now and should be US bookstores in the next week or two. As the title of the magazine suggests, it covers a lot of ground comic book-wise, so Joe talks about some of the problems with Rising Stars, Squadron Supreme, Thor and his tenure on Spider-Man including the controversial 'Sins Past' and 'One More Day' storylines. I think it's a pretty interesting interview, and I'm actually a bit surprised that Joe addressed every question I had.

Sweet, I want this. Comic Heroes? I've never heard of it. Is it solicited with Diamond?
    Flying Sparks Web Comic - A Hero and Villain In Love. Updates on Wednesdays
    True Believer Reviews: Comic Reviews and Interviews on Wednesdays and Fridays - Or Your Money Back!

Comment

I'd love to know where to get it online or info that I can give my comic guy, too, please.

And you're welcome to post that sort of thing here, Joe. We appreciate it when you do.

Jan
      "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

It's published in the UK by Future Publishing. I don't know if Diamond solicits it or not, but I wouldn't be surprised. And I know Barnes & Noble carries it here in the States. I looked for it yesterday in my local NJ store but they're still carrying last issue.

Comment

My local comic shop said they have it on backorder, so hopefully it'll arrive!
          True Believer Reviews: Comic Reviews and Interviews on Wednesdays and Fridays - Or Your Money Back!

Comment

I was just looking at the final interview that appears in Comic Heroes and just realized that a big chunk was taken off the end. Although most of the piece dealt with JMSÆs comic book work, I had also included a few general questions about various film projects and for whatever reason- most likely because my editor wanted to limit the piece to comic-related subjects, that final section was removed. I thought some of you might be interested in reading it, so hereÆs that final section:

CH: YouÆve now moved into the feature film market in a big way, with projects like Forbidden Planet, Lensman, World War Z and They Marched into Sunlight to name just a few. When did those doors start opening for you?
            JMS: ItÆs all due to Changeling. When I finished the Jeremiah TV series, I knew I wanted to take a chance on something I hadn't done before, and that was features. IÆd written TV movies before, but never a real, honest-to-god feature film. So I took a chance on failing spectacularly and put it out there...and this is the result. It's the most amazing third act I can imagine.

CH: Does the part of you thatÆs a lifelong genre fan ever worry about getting found out and ejected from the cool peopleÆs party?
            JMS: ThereÆs a saying, æChance favours the prepared mind.Æ I think that applies to the work that's come my way. I got Forbidden Planet because I'd been tracking who had the rights on that project for over a decade. Finally, I saw that DreamWorks' option was set to expire, and went instantly to Warners to say, æYou need to grab this so I can write it.Æ And they did, and I did. Thor came out of an ongoing relationship with Marvel Productions. Silver Surfer came because one of the heads of Fox was a huge comics fan in general and of my work in particular. None of it came out of socializing or networking- I'm about as sociable as a sack of badgers- but rather out of the work and what comes out of the work. A few things, like Underworld 4 and World War Z just sort of fell into my lap, but again based on those responsible liking my previous work.

CH: Is there anything you can say about a few of your upcoming film projects? A couple of hints about Nano or Shattered Union perhaps?
            JMS: Shattered Union is based on a computer game and tells the story of a contemporary civil war and the break-up of the federal government. Nano is an animated feature which DreamWorks Animation is targeting for 2013 or 14. Vanishing Point is an SF action movie, which is all I can say about it.

CH: So are you relatively happy with the way work is going at the moment?
            JMS: All things considered, yeah, I'm very happy with how things have worked out (and saying that is like sending up a flare to the universe saying æHit me!Æ). I have the time to write what I want, and I'm working on slowing down a bit to find some time to enjoy a little of what I've achieved. I've been writing pretty much non-stop since I was 17, and it'd be great to slow down just a tick, yÆknow?
            There are some other projects I really want to do -- there's an SF trilogy of films I want to write, an adaptation of a well-known SF story that I'm finishing just now- and I want to direct a bit, but only a bit, as needed to tell the stories I want to tell. And I plan to get back into the novel-writing business. I'm a couple hundred pages into a big political/action thriller that could be a lot of fun. And I'd like to get one more show on the air, just for fun, but not as day-to-day show runner...do the JJ Abrams thing of creating it and moving on.
            Writers are like sharks, in that the moment you stop moving forward, the moment you stop learning, you die. So I plan to continue doing both those things, wherever they take me. I could never have anticipated where I am right now, so what's the next thing? I can't imagine. But I can't wait for it to find me.

Comment

Thanks for sharing that, Joe. Looking forward to the rest of the interview (when I manage to find it).

Jan
              "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Cool, missed that. My comic shop says it's on order, so hopefully it'll arrive soon

Comment

Hey Joe - got this the other day as it finally came in. Great interview as usual. I see you did a few other interviews here including one about special effects which was interesting!

Comment

Thanks for the kind words. Glad you liked the JMS interview, as well as the other stuff.

Comment

Working...
                    X