Peter Jurasik at Philadelphia Comic Con

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peter Jurasik at Philadelphia Comic Con

Hi, all! Claudia Christian was going to appear at the Wizard World/Philadelphia Comic Con, but has cancelled (due to a filming schedule conflict) and now Peter Jurasik will be appearing in her place. Anyone in the area going to be there? Claudia's Q&A was scheduled for Friday at 5 PM; presumably Peter will just take her place there. (If I hear differently, I'll post again.)

Grrrr...As cool as it is going to be meet Peter, I absolutely hate it when people cancel these cons at the last minute. It saves me some money instead of 2 autographs from Claudia, I just need one from Peter. I am sure Peter will be just as awesome. I just hope there isn't anymore surprise cancellations, I am looking at you, Buffy and Star Wars cast.

Comment

Originally posted by lotjx View Post
      I am sure Peter will be just as awesome.
      I can assure you of that. Peter Jurasik pretty much defines the word "awesome." He does his best to make sure every single person around him has a special moment/memory of meeting him, too.

If you haven't had the opportunity to meet him yet, I would absolutely encourage you to do so.
      "Jan Schroeder is insane" - J. Michael Straczynski, March 2008

The Station: A Babylon 5 Podcast

Comment

All I have heard is great things about Peter. Yet, this twice in less then three months that a B5 person has stiffed me at a con. First, Bruce and now, Claudia. I understand people have lives and jobs, but canceling at the last moment is just bad form. Some celebrities need to understand part of the reason a person buys a ticket is your name is on the billboard. Mick Foley did that to me in Philly three years ago and it turned into a giant waste of time and money to go. Also, Peter David kept disappearing at that same con and I just gave up after the second time to sign book three of the Centauri Trilogy. So, I am 1-4 with B5 people. There are people I want to go see, so I am hoping it doesn't turn into another Foley situation.

Comment

All actor appearances are subject to the actors getting other work. As it happens, I've been in touch with another fan who mentioned that Claudia held off committing to this con thinking that a contract might come in. When it didn't, she booked the con but it sounds like the work ended up coming in after all.

It's nice that Claudia went to the trouble of finding a replacement. Not all actors would, but she does care about her fans.

Jan
          "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

lotjx, I can guarantee you that Claudia didn't just blow this off lightly, and she had every intention of coming. And in fact, when she couldn't make it, she called Peter personally to ask him to take her place. By the way, I'm sorry you didn't come up and say hi! Would have loved to have met you. I was up front (second row; no one was in the first row until those strange latecomers walked in and left five minutes later...), and was one of the people who was talking a lot. Hrm, that's probably not specific enough. Okay, I'm the one who prompted him about the joke script.

To those who didn't see this one Facebook, here are a couple of highlights from the Q&A:

Someone asked Peter what he likes to read, and among other things, he mentioned non-fiction. And someone in the audience yelled out, "Did you say NARN fiction?". He then put on Londo's voice and pretended to slam a book shut, saying "Thees is TERRible! Who can reeeed thees??"

And, even better, at one point, he was complimenting Joe on being such a fine writer, and recounting the story of getting the pilot script and reading through it, deciding whether or not to take the job. And he performed for us, as Londo, the passage that sold him on the project. It's the bit in "The Gathering" where he talks to Garibaldi about remoras, and how the great Centauri Empire has been reduced to a tourist attraction. As I told Joe on his FB page, it was a *huge* thrill hearing him read that, and a tribute to the power of JMS's words that everyone in that room could practically recite it with him, verbatim. It was a huge WOW moment!

He also talked a bit about Andreas (he always does), and you could see how affected he is by his loss. (I'm probably the only person in the audience who teared up at that, but I think everyone there was moved to hear him talk about his friend.)

It was a really good appearance, and even though I've seen Peter before, his stories were very entertaining. I also made a few new friends, and got to meet someone in person who I know from Claudia's Facebook page community. Oh, and instead of coming home with yet another t-shirt, I paid an artist to draw me as a zombie on a Marvel sketch cover!

Comment

I went today and Peter did make my day. I was the first person to come up to him. Had a great talk, asked about the rumors and said as soon as the money handlers get involved, it doesn't happen. When I mentioned animation, his eyes light up. A complete awesome guy.

Comment

I asked him about the rumors, too. Great minds, thinking alike. :-D

Comment

Claudia Christian gets work?
                  Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

IMDb is your friend.

Comment

With benefits, at that.
                      Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

Originally posted by AmyG View Post
                        IMDb is your friend.
                        Originally posted by Dr Maturin View Post
                        With benefits, at that.
                        The mind boggles at the possibilities.

Comment

Remembering Londo's Dad

I know I've made passing mention to having known Peter Jurasik's parents once or twice, but after chatting with him this last weekend at the Wizard World Philadelphia comic book show I've decided to take pen to paper, or in this case, fingertips to keyboard, to tell the full story.

It was, to the best of my recollection, the spring of 1995. I was working as the Electronics Department manager for Kmart in Hazleton, PA, a small town about 20 miles south of Wilkes-Barre. One day, an older gentleman wandered into the department and I noticed that he was wearing a Babylon 5 crew jacket, with the B5 station beautifully embroidered on the back. I went over to the gentleman to see if he needed any help with anything. And when he replied that he didn't, I asked him where he got his jacket.

"Oh, my son works on the show," he said.

"Really? That's cool," I answered, with visions of someone who probably worked on set construction or pulled cables around all day.

(Digression - About 30 years earlier, the area hosted the production of the film The Molly Maguires with Richard Harris and Sean Connery. I had already met one person whose father had worked on that shoot, met her mother here and stayed in the area to get married and settle down. I didn't think it was inconceivable that someone may have been hired locally for the production, liked the work and headed west at the end of production to seek their fortune and that perhaps that hypothetical person could be this man's son. - End digression.)

"What does he do on the show?" I asked.

"Oh, he plays one of the alien ambassadors," the gentleman replied.

The image of a grip or an electrician doing set work was replaced by an image of a guy sliding on a rubber Strieb head or slipping into the costume of a Gaim and sitting in the background nodding his head during certain scenes.
                          I had to ask though, "Really? Which one?"

"The one with the hair. Londo," he answered.

"Oh my god!" I said, barely keeping myself from totally freaking out. "I'm not saying it because he's your son, but he has one of the two best written parts on the show!"

Mr. Jurasik laughed, and I swear I heard a faint echo of Londo's laugh in there. "Thanks. We're very proud of him. In fact we recently were out there visiting him for his wedding." And before I knew it, Mr. Jurasik was whipping out his wallet to show me a picture of the happy bride and groom. All I could think was that I didn't know if Peter Jurasik would want his father showing wedding photos to every Babylon 5 fan who happened to accost him while shopping!

We chatted for a few more minutes before Mr. Jurasik's wife came up, done with her shopping, to collect her husband and head home. He introduced me as a Babylon 5 fan and she was very nice.

I worked at that store for about four more years and I saw the Jurasik's on occasion when they were out shopping. We would exchange pleasantries and small talk. But I never really tried to steer the conversation towards their son or the show, partly because I didn't want to seem like a creepy stalker fan but mostly because they were just nice people to have a chat with. If you've worked in retail, you know that there are usually far fewer familiar faces you look forward to seeing coming your way then there are regular customers you run and hide in the stock room when you see them coming up the aisle.

Since then, I had met Peter at convention and told him the story of meeting his parents, and asked if he could, would he please convey best wishes from "the Babylon 5 fan who used to wait on them at Kmart."

When I approached Peter this weekend, I had no illusion that he would remember me or my story.

"Hi Mr. Jurasik," I said, shaking his hand. " My name is Rich. I live in Wilkes-Barre and used to work at the Kmart in Hazleton, where I met your parents."

"Really?" he said, eyes lighting up. (And just a trace of Londo's accent echoing in his voice.)

"I met you several years before, but I'm sure you don't remember me telling you about this," I went on.

"I'm sorry, no I don't. But please! Tell me again" he replied.

So I launched into the above story for him, and as I told it, Peter's smile widened and a chuckle grew into a laugh.

"Yes," he said through laughter. "That's my dad!"

He went on to tell me that, sadly, his father passed a few years ago and his mother had passed away last year. I offered him my condolences, as they were always a highlight of my day whenever I saw them in the store.

He thanked me for the story and we shook hands, and then I made way for the next fan who wanted to talk to Peter and perhaps get an autograph. It was only later that I remembered that it was Father's Day that weekend, and perhaps, I was able to give him a new memory of his own father.
                          Got movies? www.filmbuffonline.com

Comment

Originally posted by frulad View Post
                            It was only later that I remembered that it was Father's Day that weekend, and perhaps, I was able to give him a new memory of his own father.
                            And a precious one at that. Who wouldn't want to be told how proud one's father is of him, even if deep down he knew it anyway?

Thanks for sharing that, Frulad.

Jan
                            "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Thanks for sharing. Nice story. You have some nice memories to carry with you.
                              Joan

Comment

Working...
                              X