• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JMS working on a new pilot for TNT

Just found these posts on the newsgroup:

Title: Quick Updates
    Author: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
    Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 16:11:10 -0800 (PST)
    Message-ID: <[email protected]>

It seems I've mostly won the trojan battle, even though one of them
    keeps trying to re-appear only to be knocked down again by spyware
    doctor. (The trojan zlob!sd6) I can block it but nothing seems to
    remove it.

Meanwhile, just some other updates for folks who've been asking about
    one thing or another....

On the public appearance front, I'm slated to appear as Guest of Honor
    at the New York Comic Con in February, and I've been invited to speak
    at MIT on May 22nd as part of the Julie Schwartz Lecture Series.

To correct one piece of misinformation out there...I'm not involved
    with the Thor movie in any way. There seems to be this notion that I
    rewrote the previous scripts for Marvel. Totally not true.

Finally, later this month, in addition to continuing to turn in
    screenplay assignmentgs, I'll be turning in the pilot script for Last
    Words, an hour dramatic series with a paranormal thrust, being written
    for TNT and Dreamworks.

(It's a new crowd at TNT these days.)

jms
    and

Title: Re: Quick Updates
    Author: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
    Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 21:53:43 -0800 (PST)
    Message-ID: <[email protected]00prb.googlegroups.com>

On Jan 2, 6:57 pm, Jeffrey Kaplan <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Previously on rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated, [email protected] said:
    >
    > > Finally, later this month, in addition to continuing to turn in
    > > screenplay assignmentgs, I'll be turning in the pilot script for Last
    > > Words, an hour dramatic series with a paranormal thrust, being written
    > > for TNT and Dreamworks.
    >
    > Are you doing the "Last Words" script as a one-off contract, or are you
    > a staff writer/producer? IMDB has no info on this show.

No, they generally don't list every pilot that's being written...it
    would just get ridiculous afte a while. There can't be a staff until
    there's a show, but should we get the green light to go into
    production, yes, I'd be EP/showrunner.

jms
    Yay! Possible new JMS TV!

Jan
    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Well how's that for a "Happy New Year"!!??!!?!

Both TNT and USA seem to be focusing on putting on some strong drama shows, better than the stuff on the broadcast networks. I'm looking forward to checking out the new Timothy Hutton show later on this month....
    Got movies? www.filmbuffonline.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
      Just found these posts on the newsgroup:

Originally posted by JMS
      Finally, later this month, in addition to continuing to turn in
      screenplay assignmentgs, I'll be turning in the pilot script for Last
      Words, an hour dramatic series with a paranormal thrust, being written
      for TNT and Dreamworks.
      He's NUTS!

Originally posted by JMS
      (It's a new crowd at TNT these days.)

jms
      He's still nuts. I bet some of the same old a-holes are still around. That's it, JMS, trust the scorpion. That'll turn out well.
      Mac Breck (KoshN)
      ------------------
      Warner Brothers is Lucy.
      JMS and we fans are collectively Charlie Brown.
      Babylon 5 is the football.

Comment

I was hoping you'd be sitting down when you read that, Mac. And TNT really has gotten better programming in the past few years. I'll hope for the best.

Jan
        "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

I was hoping you'd be sitting down when you read that, Mac. And TNT really has gotten better programming in the past few years. I'll hope for the best.

Jan
          I wouldn't trust 'em as far as I could throw Atlanta. They could be setting him up for another fall, especially against a northerner. There's no way in HELL that I'd trust 'em.
          Mac Breck (KoshN)
          ------------------
          Warner Brothers is Lucy.

Comment

Except, of course, that there's no *reason* for them do do any such thing. The situation is entirely different from the Crusade one in that Crusade was greenlit without a pilot.

There could be any number of things that could happen with this pilot script including TNT simply deciding not to make it or make the pilot and not go to series. Even if either of those happen, it's not any kind of 'fall' for JMS, it's simply the fate of *most* pilots.

Jan

Comment

Except, of course, that there's no *reason* for them do do any such thing.
              Yes there is, vindictiveness due to past history, the desire to punish, to take somebody down a notch.

The situation is entirely different from the Crusade one in that Crusade was greenlit without a pilot.

There could be any number of things that could happen with this pilot script including TNT simply deciding not to make it or make the pilot and not go to series. Even if either of those happen, it's not any kind of 'fall' for JMS, it's simply the fate of *most* pilots.

Jan
              Doesn't matter. If it goes to series and he's the showrunner, they could start screwing with him all over again. They won't want to see him succeed. Remember, it will likely be about testosterone, not about business.

This caused me to go over to rastb5m and break radio silence to send him one short message.

BTW, I have all posts except those originating from [email protected] (for announcements), [email protected] (for his reviews) or [email protected] (which I just added so I could see if my post went through.), automatically deleted. So, if anybody posts other than jms or jphalt, I won't see it. Except for once every other blue moon, I treat that group as a highly filtered read-only.
              Mac Breck (KoshN)
              ------------------
              Warner Brothers is Lucy.

Comment

Originally posted by KoshN View Post
                Yes there is, vindictiveness due to past history, the desire to punish, to take somebody down a notch.
                You're confusing a corporation for a person. If the people who made a bad decision about picking up B5/Crusade are gone, then effectively, there's no memory that it ever happened.

As bad as the Crusade experience was for JMS, I imagine that he made sure that everybody involved with Crusade decisions has moved on before enterring into business with them again.

Jan

Comment

I do think that given JMS history with TNT, his current standing as a writer in Hollywood and just the fact of how busy he is generally; It may well be that for him to even consider working with TNT he would need to be satisfied that none of the people he believes are responsible for the past nonsense are involved in this project.
                  It may be that they have courted him.We do not know.

What we do know is that JMS was very angry at his past treatment and he is not one to just forgive and forget for a group hug.
                  I am sure if he thought for a minute there might be any repetition of previous events then he would have actually enjoyed telling them to take a hike.

Comment

I agree. Ten years is a *long* time in the corporate world.

Hmmph...I think I'm insulted. Mac didn't even unfilter me on the newsgroup!

Jan

Comment

You're confusing a corporation for a person. If the people who made a bad decision about picking up B5/Crusade are gone, then effectively, there's no memory that it ever happened.

As bad as the Crusade experience was for JMS, I imagine that he made sure that everybody involved with Crusade decisions has moved on before enterring into business with them again.

Jan

I doubt that they're ALL gone, and I doubt that JMS knows every person who was involved. Usually, there are some scumbags who never emerged from the shadows.
                      Last edited by KoshN; 01-04-2009, 10:54 AM.
                      Mac Breck (KoshN)
                      ------------------
                      Warner Brothers is Lucy.

Comment

Hmmph...I think I'm insulted. Mac didn't even unfilter me on the newsgroup!

Jan
                        I see your stuff here. Also, that filtering method keeps posts to a minimum, the OE6 DBX file small, and prevents me from looking at tons of stuff that has absolutely nothing to do with B5 (e.g. the idle chatter that fills the group when absolutely nothing is going on regarding B5 or Crusade, OT threads that go on forever, pedantic grammar arguments, etc.).

Most days, I don't even click on rastb5m to see if there's anything new there, and when I do, it's because I'm being thorough and going down the list of subscribed groups, hitting every one, top to bottom. Then, 99.9&#37; of the time, there is no JMS or jphalt post, and the group name unboldens and shows as no unread messages, and I move on to rec.arts.tv.
                        Last edited by KoshN; 01-04-2009, 10:52 AM.
                        Mac Breck (KoshN)
                        ------------------
                        Warner Brothers is Lucy.

Comment

Working...
                        X