JMS 2008 year end report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JMS 2008 year end report

Kind of early and sort of short this year but of course he still manages to drop in some big news rather casually:

Title: Re: JMS: Year End Report
    Author: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
    Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 22:06:17 -0800 (PST)
    Message-ID: <[email protected]m>

Before getting into any of this...could somebody do me a huge favor
    and replace the picture of me on the jms wikipedia entry (taken at a
    bookstore in the UK) with this picture instead:

http://images.collectorz.com/shared/jms.png

It's my own photo, so there's no issue of ownership, it's just that
    the one there now makes me look like a ninety year old man.

Now....

On Dec 4, 6:50 pm, Jan <[email protected]> wrote:
    > JMS,
    >
    > I may be a little early this year but I thought I'd put up the annual
    > Straczynski-Verse Report Request now and avoid the holiday rush. Who knows what
    > new venues have opened up for you lately, so can you give us a rundown on what's
    > definitely happening, what might happen, what probably won't happen and anything
    > if between?
    >

One small thing that I can confirm is that yes, I've made a deal with
    a cable network to write a pilot for a new TV series in the paranormal
    genre. That's all I can say about it for now.

Have lined up the next couple of films I'll be writing after the first
    of the year, and will have more to say about them...well, after the
    first of the year.

> And while you're here, let me sneak in a couple of extra questions if I may.
    >
    > --What was the most amazing thing to happen to you this past year?

Cannes. Not even a question. Just the whole experience.

>
    > --Which came first, the line in the movie or the name of your production
    > company?
    >

The movie. The name of the company was both a nod to the movie that
    made it possible, and just me being kind of a rascal. When I told one
    friend the name of the company -- And the Horse You Rode In On
    Productions -- he said, "Joe, you've gotta let go of the rage...."
    Jan
    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Do you think this is the show mentioned?

Originally posted by Jan, 07-29-2008, 09:06 PM
    Q: I wondered if there was anything on the horizonTV-wise?

JMS: Yeah, I do. I put together a premise for a TV series which we're bringing first to the BBC and then [we're trying?] some companies here. I'm told we have a really good shot at setting it up as a pilot and we'll see what goes from there but I'm not going to hold my breath or tell you what it is except that it does mix the mainstream and the genre [comics?] area in a whole new way that's kind of fun. That's a year away, that's the soonest point you'll see it on television.
    (http://jmsnews.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2889)

Comment

Could be. The other thing I wondered is if it might have to do with the project with the mega-film 'group'. As I recall, that was supposed to start off with a mini-series, though.

Jan
      "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Group's project was supposed to be sci-fi, though. They also had a pilot and two episodes ready (co-written by the three of them, as I understood it) over a year ago.

Comment

Good point. Somehow I'd replaced JMS's saying 'write' to 'produce' the pilot in my head.

Jan

Comment

Excellent. Now maybe we'll get exactly what we've been waiting for all these years. Jake and The Fatman spinoff.

Sarcasm aside, this is great. Maybe something to do with Rising Starsish? I could only dream of that. But a pilot still doesn't guarantee a show, unfortunately.
            Flying Sparks Web Comic - A Hero and Villain In Love. Updates on Wednesdays
            True Believer Reviews: Comic Reviews and Interviews on Wednesdays and Fridays - Or Your Money Back!

Comment

Rising Stars would be great but I don't think it's 'paranormal' as the term is usually used.

JMS answered my follow-up questions:
              Title: Re: JMS: Year End Report
              Author: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
              Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 15:05:17 -0800 (PST)
              Message-ID: <[email protected]m>

On Dec 5, 2:15 am, Jan <[email protected]> wrote:
              > >One small thing that I can confirm is that yes, I've made a deal with
              > >a cable network to write a pilot for a new TV series in the paranormal
              > >genre. That's all I can say about it for now.
              >
              > Any idea when the cable network might announce it? Is this the 'return to form'
              > project and is it related to the project you talked about last year with the
              > mega-film makers?

No Idea.

Yes.

No.

jms

Jan

Comment

I'd be really excited by something entirely new from JMS.

Nothing will ever surpass B5 as it is a part of my life, but a blank slate + JMS... I'd buy those beans

Comment

About two years ago, there were a couple of posts about a pilot for a series called "borrowed lives". Any idea what that was, and whatever happened to that?

Comment

Re: Rising Stars

In the Comics to Film panel at LosCon, Joe indicated that at this point a Rising Stars series would be difficult due to the similarities to Heroes (and with Heroes dropping in popularity even more so).

Lee
                    Webmaster
                    SFTV.org
                    B520 ( http://www.azsf.net/b520 )

Comment

Working...
                    X