Guest replied
    Here's a late blog entry about JMS' spotlight:

http://geeksofdoom.com/2008/08/19/sd...ski/#more-3283

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Originally posted by DodoBrd View Post
    Oh god you actually ate there?!?!

I've only been twice( including this year) and I am not nearly a brave enough man to try that food again.

That food should be declared a war crime and shot.
    <shrug> I've had worse. I don't expect much from convention center food other than convenience. At least the food there doesn't taste like died, formed salt. Actually, the muffins they sell are pretty good.

Jan

Leave a comment:

• DodoBrd
    replied
    Originally posted by Jan View Post
    JMS had his writing panel this morning. Having experienced the way he can fill rooms, I went the comfortable route and attended the panel before his even though I had no clue about the subject. What can I say? It's more comfortable to sit than to stand in line.

Once that panel was over I moved to a position where I'd be able to see/hear JMS as well as make sure my recorder would be able to catch the questions asked, too. I looked around to see if anybody I'd recognize came in and only saw JMS at the very back of the room. Shortly before the panel was due to start a lady came to sit in the row I was in and was choosing a seat for a good view when the lady who'd been sitting quietly next to me looked at me askance just as I did the same to her and we both said at *exactly* the same moment "Jan?" "Jan" and it turned out I was already sitting next to PMvanova while I was looking for her to come in.

JMS's panel was interesting as usual with folks asking questions about agents and selling and characterization and JMS giving good, factual answers letting folks know that the road isn't easy but that they need to perservere (and write better inquiry letters).

After the panel, we went down to the show floor for me to hunt down a con exclusive that a friend wanted and we grabbed some food and went in search for a quiet spot to eat and talk. Later we went to check out some fan tables on the mezzanine (Lee, I left you a note) and walk the show floor some more.

I sat in on the Marvel panel and the beginning of the DC Nation panel and didn't see JMS at either. Now I'm back 'home' and I'm off to dinner and bed since it's midnight by my biological clock and I didn't get much sleep yesterday.

Jan
    Oh god you actually ate there?!?!

I've only been twice( including this year) and I am not nearly a brave enough man to try that food again.

That food should be declared a war crime and shot.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    There's excellent coverage of JMS' writing panel here:

http://www.comicon.com/cgi-bin/ultim...;f=36;t=007384

Jan

Leave a comment:

• glindros
    replied
    Originally posted by mandragora View Post
    A video clip including part of JMS' presentation is here:

http://animediet.net/archives/4448
    Thanks for the video link.
    I've never had the privilege of meeting JMS, but I feel a little closer to that goal now. I can imagine jms right in front me speaking.

So this is what it feels like to be Jan.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    You mentioned earlier that he spoke of the first production credits of that company; could you please tell us a bit about these?
    It has to do with a couple of spec scripts he wrote. I'll transcribe it later on.
    If he's really going to teach at colleges, he'll inevitably slow down, unless he wants the students to throw stuff at him
    Oh, I find him perfectly understandable. It's trying to transcribe what he says accurately that requires the slower playback. It's Junior College level that he wants to teach at.
    Interesting part about the OMD story. I wasn't an ASM reader, but I've followed the discussion around the ending a bit (it was kind of inevitable to notice it). Interesting that the disagreement at first only seemed to be about how to do the details of the retcon deal, and now it turns out that JQ came up with the entire story and basically dictated it.
    It's been known for a *long* time that Joe Quesada wanted the marriage ended. My impression is that the basic story was agreed on well in advance at one of the story retreats but when it got to the last two issues, what Quesada wanted almost caused JMS to take his name off of them. One other thing was that JMS never wanted it to drag on as long as it did.

Jan

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Jan View Post
    Hrmph! I feel slighted by the CBR piece. The first question at JMS' panel was me asking about his production company. No respect...:
    You mentioned earlier that he spoke of the first production credits of that company; could you please tell us a bit about these?

The Anime Diet clips are good. The JMS part begins about 3.50 and goes to about 7.20 and has the first part of his answer to the question about more Lost Tales. When you hear how fast JMS speaks, you'll understand why my favorite feature on my latest recorder is that I can slow the playback down!
    If he's really going to teach at colleges, he'll inevitably slow down, unless he wants the students to throw stuff at him

Interesting part about the OMD story. I wasn't an ASM reader, but I've followed the discussion around the ending a bit (it was kind of inevitable to notice it). Interesting that the disagreement at first only seemed to be about how to do the details of the retcon deal, and now it turns out that JQ came up with the entire story and basically dictated it.
    Last edited by mandragora; 08-02-2008, 03:24 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    CBR has posted an article on JMS' spotlight on saturday at last:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=17551

Hrmph! I feel slighted by the CBR piece. The first question at JMS' panel was me asking about his production company. No respect...

The Anime Diet clips are good. The JMS part begins about 3.50 and goes to about 7.20 and has the first part of his answer to the question about more Lost Tales. When you hear how fast JMS speaks, you'll understand why my favorite feature on my latest recorder is that I can slow the playback down!

Jan

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    CBR has posted an article on JMS' spotlight on saturday at last:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=17551

Last edited by mandragora; 08-01-2008, 11:54 PM. Reason: Link corrected

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Hi spuzzum42, welcome. JMS writing The Brave and the Bold has been known for some time now. The Archie heroes connection is new, though.

JMS seems to be specializing in reviving forgotten characters with The Twelve and now this.

Jan

Leave a comment:

• spuzzum42
    replied
    Sounds like most everyone missed this announcement at the DC Comics panel....

DiDio then announced that DC had acquired the rights to the Archie superhero characters, and the characters will be "incorporated into the DC Universe in The Brave and the Bold, to be written by J. Michael Stracynzski.

"We're going to do two issues per origin, create the characters fresh in the DC Universe," said Stracynzski. "Not the Hangman's cousin third removed, but the Hangman. Bring those characters, fully-fleshed into the DC Universe."

Leave a comment:

• PMvanova
    replied
    About the same here for Comicon on Saturday though I was tickled to hear that JMS now has full rights to do three Lensman movies. This time I know it will be done right!
    I met up with a knitting friend and fellow geek on Sunday and the only panel we decided to check was the Fraggle Rock. I knitted through most of it, it was supposed to be a panel but it was a small introduction by David Groelz whohas been a puppeteer with Henson since just before the Muppet Show. Then we sat through a full episode of Fraggle Rock that featured Red. This is strictly kid stuff with a sing-a-long and everything.
    'Nuf said.
    I'm going to be watching Eureka on Tuesday nights as the only excuse for a good show I've seen lately and the only one that's on a night when I don't have anything else to do.
    Right now, I'm going to look for some food before my chat tonight.
    (www.other-worlds-cafe.com/chats/schedule.php)

:: back to lurker mode ::
    If you want my attention, email me.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Not a lot to report from the 'front lines' at Comic-Con. JMS had his spotlight panel and it was a lot of fun as usual but no huge announements. My question for him was regarding his new production company "And the Horse You Rode In On Productions" and he did mention the first few production credits they have. I'll review the recording later on and post in more detail.

I got to see PMvanova for just a moment as the room was filling up. Lee stopped by after asking a question as did Charlie from the newsgroup. I was able to visit with Lee a little bit after we did the JMS autograph line but I lost track of Charle and his wife Pamela who I only got to greet quickly.

Today I'm only going for a short time to see some of Colleen Doran's artwork and back home since my flight is at the usual ungodly hour tomorrow morning.

Jan

Leave a comment:

• PMvanova
    replied
    JMS Writing panel

View from the gallery 3 here!
    It's always a joy to sit and listen to Joe talk. He's mellowed considerably in the last few years. Or is it exhaustion? (We all know the answer to that).
    When he was asked about writing and working a 9-5 job he asked the audience how many can't write two pages a day. I raised my hand and he said that's all you have to do.
    Write two pages a day and hold yourself to it. It keeps the flow going and helps to avoid writers block.
    This is helpful to me, and what I took away from the panel.

The meeting up with Jan couldn't have been written better if Joe had done it.
    I'd forgotten what she looked like until I gave her a second glance and then tilted my head to try and get a better look at her face, then she noticed me staring and... "Jan?" in stereo happened. We laughed ourselves to the point of tears it was so hysterical! I suspect there were others around us wondering what the heck was so funny.
    You had to be there!

There isn't as much content this year that I'm personally interested in so it's going to be rather laid back and relaxed this weekend. Jan and I will likely meet up on Saturday at the Spotlight panel. Unless our superhero senses go on the fritz and we miss each other.
    Nah.
    We have to meet up for lunch at the Cheese Shop Jan!

Leave a comment:

• Dan Dassow
    replied
    Summary of jms' Writing Panel at Comicon

This is a nice summary of jms' writing panel at Comicon.

http://cindycrawford.blogspot.com/20...oe-speaks.html

Thursday, July 24, 2008
    Joe Speaks

an addendum to my Comicon coverage

J Michael Straczynski has been a writer in Hollywood since he was 17-years-old. Now in his 50s, with multiple novels and screenplays under his belt, he seems more than qualified to offer up tips to budding authors... and that is exactly what he did. Thursday, July 24th, 2008, JMS spoke at Comic-Con International in San Diego. He took questions from an audience filled with aspiring literary artists. And he pulled no punches.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X