JMS at San Diego Comic Con July 24-27,2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thursday Schedule Official

The Thursday schedule has been posted officially now.

The only thing specifically listing Joe is the Screenwriting panel at 11 am. He may also turn up on the DC Nation panel as well later in the day.

http://www.comic-con.org/cci/cci08_prog_thu.php

11:00-12:00 Professional Writing: Threat or Menace?ùLet's talk writing, creativity, and selling (and selling out), and what the world of professional writing is like. Questions that you've always wanted to ask? Creative blocks bugging you? Wondered what the H*O*L*L*Y*W*O*O*D life is really like? Show up and get answers to those questions. This no-holds-barred talk is moderated by J. Michael Straczynski. Room 5AB

6:00-7:00 DC NationùDC Senior VP/executive editor Dan DiDio hosts this gabfest with Keith Giffen (Reign in Hell, Ambush Bug: Year None), Geoff Johns (Action Comics, Green Lantern), Brad Meltzer (DCU: Last Will and Testament), and some of the top talent in the industry, talking and teasing upcoming stories! Come learn the secrets behind the most talked about events of the summer! Room 6A

Definitely a lot of stuff happening on Thursday, they are starting panels at 10 am (doors open at 9:30 am) and they have more panels in the evening.

Don't know if I'll have time for lunch any of the days. I definitely want to catch the Doctor Who/Torchwood panels starting at noon on Thursday.

Lee
    Webmaster
    SFTV.org
    B520 ( http://www.azsf.net/b520 )

Comment

Originally posted by sftv View Post
      Don't know if I'll have time for lunch any of the days. I definitely want to catch the Doctor Who/Torchwood panels starting at noon on Thursday.
      Lunch?! Tsk, tsk...you really need to work on your priorities, Lee.

Sunday's schedule is up now. Nothing new for JMS but there is a second DC Nation panel. http://www.comic-con.org/cci/cci08_prog_sun.php

Jan
      "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
        Lunch?! Tsk, tsk...you really need to work on your priorities, Lee.

...Nothing new for JMS but there is a second DC Nation panel.
        Jan
        <cough> stalker <cough>
        What a wonderful world you live in. -
        Yeah, well, the rent is cheap, the pay is decent and I get to make my own hours.

Comment

JMS Writing panel

When I read that schedule, for some reason I thought it meant 11PM!! I missed something on the page obviously. Whew! Makes me feel better about going to that panel.
          Going through the schedule now to see what other panels I want to attend. A friend said that Stan Lee wasn't even going to be there this year, but according to the schedule, he's on a panel.
          Hmmph...

I really have to stop reading board messages after 11pm.
          "It is what I have done with where I have been that should be of interest." - Georgia O'Keefe

Comment

Okay, the full schedule is up for panels now:
            Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

The JMS items are his writing panel and his spotlight:
            Thursday, July 24
            11:00-12:00 Professional Writing: Threat or Menace?ù Let's talk writing, creativity, and selling (and selling out), and what the world of professional writing is like. Questions that you've always wanted to ask? Creative blocks bugging you? Wondered what the H*O*L*L*Y*W*O*O*D life is really like? Show up and get answers to those questions. This no-holds-barred talk is moderated by J. Michael Straczynski. Room 5AB
            4:45-5:45 Spotlight on J. Michael Straczynskiù Yes, it's him again. Somehowùwe have no idea howùhe's gone from writing comics and TV to working with Tom Cruise, Clint Eastwood, Ron Howard, Paul Greengrass, Tom Hanks, the Wachowski Brothers, and Angelina Jolie. His long career (he's also known for Babylon 5, Twilight Zone, and others) stands as proof positive that there is no such thing as a just God. What's he up to now? What's coming next? What secrets remain yet untold? How did he achieve this (well, okay, we know that and let's just say it has something to do with a contract signed with Ba'al)? Come and ask the man responsibleùJ. Michael Straczynskiùfor Thor, The Twelve, and such upcoming movies as Changeling, World War Z, Proving Ground, The Flickering Light, The Grays, and Lensman. Room 6B
            As Lee mentioned, he's likely to show up in some comics panels as well. No sign of a signing schedule yet.

Jan
            "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Just found a post on the moderated newsgroup from JMS which says in part:

Second, as noted in the original thread before I hijacked it, yes, the
              plan at the moment is that I will be at Comic Con San Diego this year,
              primarily doing my thing on Thursday and Saturday afternoons.

There is a *chance* -- mind you, it's just a slim chance but to be
              honorable I must mention it -- that a work situation *may* preclude my
              appearance there. Or it may not. I'll know more by the end of next
              week, and for now as far as I know, everything's on target for me to
              be at SDCC. If that changes, I'll be sure to let everyone know as far
              in advance as possible.
              THat would be a shame but there's plenty to do and see even if he's not there.

Jan
              Last edited by Jan; 07-14-2008, 05:29 AM.

Comment

ComicCon

Just found a post on the moderated newsgroup from JMS which says in part:

THat would be a shame but there's plenty to do and see even if he's not there.

Jan
                It must be something big to cause Joe to skip ComicCon. If anything, he'd miss his chance to spend some of the truckloads of money he's recently acquired in the exhibit hall. That that would one less box of stuff to worry about getting signed, at least (mostly the last batch of script books).

Definitely plenty of other stuff to do and see, though. One thing you might want to consider is the Thursday night CBLDF party. Initial details are at http://www.cbldf.org/pr/archives/000363.shtml with more to come as to what is in the goodie bags. They usually do a raffle of some sort at the party as well.

Lee Whiteside
                Webmaster
                SFTV.org

Comment

No News is Good News?

So far nothing has turned up yet in regards to Joe having to miss Comic Con. However, he is not scheduled for an autograph signing in the autograph area and hasn't been mentioned by either Marvel or DC as taking part in their plans.

Should I even bother to bring stuff to get signed this year? Or just plan on tracking him down at some point....

Lee
                  Webmaster
                  SFTV.org

Comment

I'm assuming that he'll be there since we haven't heard any different yet. The last few cons I've been to where he participated in Marvel/DC panels he wasn't named, just was part of the group.

Autographs...I dunno. I've never known him not to have signings even when he had to figure out a way around really poor con arrangements (which wouldn't apply to SDCC). I've only got a few things but they're for other people so I'm hoping he'll have at least one session.

Jan

Comment

Found a follow-up post by JMS that reads in part:
                      2) In regards to Comic Con San Diego...it was touch-and-go there for a
                      while, but I'll be able to make it there after all. The schedule for
                      the con is:

Writing seminar Thursday at 11. May or may not be able to swing by
                      the Ninja Assassin talk at 6.

Autographs Saturday 1-3 in the main signing area, and my spotlight at
                      4:45.

Nothing on Sunday because I have to get back early because of work.

jms
                      So I guess you've got to lug those script books after all, Lee.

Jan

Comment

Found a follow-up post by JMS that reads in part:

So I guess you've got to lug those script books after all, Lee.

Jan
                        Perhaps one of those wheeled luggage carts that fold up?
                        What a wonderful world you live in. -
                        Yeah, well, the rent is cheap, the pay is decent and I get to make my own hours.

Comment

Originally posted by glindros View Post
                          Now, now...Lee did say 'the lates batch' so it's probably not the whole series. It was interesting at the Heroes con in Charlotte a couple of years ago, though, because a fair number of folks *did* bring all of their script books to date and an amazing (to me) number of them were unopened! So, being the imp that I am, while waiting in the autograph lines I was helpful in getting the books unwrapped and proceeded to regale the folks around me with the wonders of the script books but I wouldn't actually tell them anything that was in them. It was fun. And I'd be willing to bet that several people went home to read script books those two days.

Anyway, JMS pretty much sticks to a 10-item limit these days and often has a helper to make sure folks know before they get up to him.

Jan

Comment

Nothing on Sunday because I have to get back early because of work.
                            Is JMS simply over worked or is he trying to tell us something?
                            Andrew Swallow

Comment

Given that he was afraid he wouldn't be able to make it to the con due to work, I'd say the former.

Jan

Comment

Signing stuff

Originally posted by glindros View Post
                                Wheeled carts aren't allowed on the exhibit floor, but since the signing is at the Autograph area, that doesn't apply. However, I need to cross check that time with any others I'm trying to get to..

I got up to volume 10 or 11 signed last year at Comic-Con so just have the remaining script books plus a few comics...

For those trying to get other B5 related stuff signed, I don't see any signings for Zicree scheduled or Gerrold, though. Peter David has one group signing at the Autograph area and will be doing a signing at Del Rey and at least one at Impact Books and likely one or two at Marvel.

Lee
                                Webmaster
                                SFTV.org

Comment

Working...
                                X