New York Comic Con 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New York Comic Con 2008

New York Comic Con is being held April 18-20th in, where else, New York City.

The only B5 related guest announced so far is Peter David.

I'll be there, running around doing coverage for my site. Anyone else going?
    Got movies? www.filmbuffonline.com

Not me this year. Colleen Doran will be there too, and she was the artist for JMS's Book of Lost Souls.

Have fun!

Jan
    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Opps, missed Colleen's name on the list.

Sorry about that.

Comment

New Peter David Book at NY ComicCon

According to Peter, Del Rey will be handing out an ARC of his new novel, Tigerheart. If someone could get me one of them, it would be appreciated.

Peter's non tie-in novels have always had a hard time getting noticed and this looks to be one that actually has some support from the publisher behind it for once. The one he did for Tor last year was pretty much dumped out there with little to no promotion.

Lee Whiteside
        Webmaster
        SFTV.org
        B520 ( http://www.azsf.net/b520 )

Comment

YAY!!!

I'll be in Artists Alley.

Coincidentally, I just illustrated a young adult novel for Peter David. It's a small world after all.

c

Comment

Originally posted by sftv View Post
            According to Peter, Del Rey will be handing out an ARC of his new novel, Tigerheart. If someone could get me one of them, it would be appreciated.

Peter's non tie-in novels have always had a hard time getting noticed and this looks to be one that actually has some support from the publisher behind it for once. The one he did for Tor last year was pretty much dumped out there with little to no promotion.

Lee Whiteside
            Hey Lee, I'll see what I can do.

I want to stop by and see PAD anyway to talk to him about his involvement in an aborted BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA tv-movie sequel from a few years back. (He worked on the story treatment but not the final script.)

I'll be running around alot at the Con, getting stuff for my own site. (I'll be participating an a roundtable with Chris Carter on Friday and maybe I'll try to work in a "World On Fire" question, like 'What was it going to be about?')

Comment

Have fun, Frulad! Let us know if you find out anything about WoF.

Jan
              "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

WSJ Article on New York Comic Con 2008

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120848306949325167.html
                Wall Street Journal
                TASTE
                Time Warp
                By JONATHAN V. LAST
                April 18, 2008; Page W13

The New York Comic Con begins today, and with it comes all the geekery one expects of comic-book conventions. But something a bit more serious is going on in the world of comic books. Two new series, Project Superpowers and The Twelve, have taken heroes from the Golden Age of comics and plopped them down in the middle of the modern world, setting up a collision of 1940s values with a postmodern worldview.

In Marvel's series The Twelve, a dozen minor heroes are captured by the German SS in the closing days of World War II and placed in suspended animation. They are rediscovered in 2008 and brought to life in modern America. Created by J. Michael Straczynski and Chris Weston, The Twelve uses long buried characters whose rights Marvel already owned.

In many ways, The Twelve's superheroes are Golden Age archetypes. For instance, there's Rockman, who first appeared in USA Comics in 1941, when his origins were described as follows: "From the depths of the Earth comes a mysterious and powerful figure to inflict terrible punishment upon those who would endanger the peace and prosperity of the world's greatest nation -- the United States of America!"

The Twelve is a meditation on America, past and present. The heroes find themselves in an imperfect modern world but begin to realize that the America they knew in the past wasn't all that great either, shot through as it was with racism, prejudice and deceit. One hero, Mr. E., is a Jew who spent the '30s and '40s ignoring his family and passing himself off as a Gentile in order to live the high life.

Comment

Looks like I'll be around for a good chunk of the weekend, although it looks like it's going to pretty warm temperature-wise in New York over the next couple of days. Frulad, I might be at the X-Files round table tonight so if you see this post, make sure you say hello.

Comment

NY ComicCon

Looks like its going to be an even bigger show this year. Both Newsarama.com and Comicbookresources.com are doing extensive coverage, primarily focused on comics.

The show looks to be turning into the second biggest comics convention of the country, not just a big regional con.

Lee Whiteside
                    Webmaster
                    SFTV.org
                    B520 ( http://www.azsf.net/b520 )

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
                      Have fun, Frulad! Let us know if you find out anything about WoF.

Jan
                      Unfortunately, We only had about 15 minutes with Chris Carter, so I couldn't slip in a "How about a return to television, and was that World On Fire series going to be about?" question I had in my notes...

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nazzaro View Post
                        Looks like I'll be around for a good chunk of the weekend, although it looks like it's going to pretty warm temperature-wise in New York over the next couple of days. Frulad, I might be at the X-Files round table tonight so if you see this post, make sure you say hello.
                        Hey Joe! It was great to meet you on Friday night. Has your wife gotten over that food poisoning?

Comment

Originally posted by sftv View Post

Lee Whiteside
                          Lee, I wasn't able to get you a sampler, but I did score a small poster of the coverart. PM me your address and I'll get it out to you.

Comment

Had I known there would've been an X-files discussion I would've gone! Anyhing interesting come out of it? Upcoming movie news? Maybe books or comics?

Comment

Originally posted by Donald View Post
                              Had I known there would've been an X-files discussion I would've gone! Anyhing interesting come out of it? Upcoming movie news? Maybe books or comics?
                              Donald, I know that Trekmovie.com has a link in the article called "Sci-Fi saturday: Indy, X-Files...etc" of the video from the X-Files chat with Carter and Spotnik...it's worth a little perusal.

CE
                              Anthony Flessas
                              Writer/Producer/Director,
                              SP Pictures

I have no avatar! I walk in mystery and need nothing to represent who and what I am!

Comment

Working...
                              X