Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JMS to write Surfer movie

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • JMS to write Surfer movie

    Just got this in my Google Alert for JMS quoting the LA Times:

    Feeling bullish on the eve of the release of its "Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer," Fox has already put a feature spinoff into development that will star the enigmatic Surfer, with J. Michael Straczynski currently crafting the screenplay.
    JMS hasn't said anything about it but he usually has to wait for official word to come from the studio.

    I'm posting to the newsgroup to see what JMS can tell us.

    Jan
    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

  • #2
    Wow! This does fit some hints he was dropping about adapting a major Marvel character. Could be very cool.

    Comment


    • #3
      I quite enjoyed the first issue of the Silver Surfer: Requiem mini. This seems like a natural progression.

      Jan
      "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

      Comment


      • #4
        I agree, I think the Surfer is perfectly suited to JMS's talents. It's ironic that Fox is so gung-ho on the Surfer, even though for some reason they've been trying to pretend that the character is actually digital. I was talking to my friend Doug Jones a few months back and Fox had actually stopped him from doing any interviews (including the one we had planned for Starlog). And adding insult to injury, the makeup FX guys at Spectral Motion, who did such a spectacular job of turning Doug into Abe Sapien for Hellboy a few years back are actually prohibited from even admitting that they had anything to do with the Surfer character. This is not to take anything away from the fine folks at Weta who have done a fantastic job, but I'm not a big fan of revisionist history.

        Comment


        • #5
          That seems silly. Sometimes you'd think that the studios actually think that we're watching reality.

          They'd be better off playing it up the way the CGSociety articles have kept the buzz up for TLT.

          Jan
          "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

          Comment


          • #6
            That is weird, and sorry you guys couldn't get an interview. I'm excited for JMS though! I just hope this FF movie actually does justify a Silver Surfer movie. And JMS may not have announced it because he just hasn't been talking for about a month lol...

            We all know he's wary of announcing new movies before they're solidly along in the process.

            However, this does again confirm that JMS has reached star status.
            Flying Sparks Web Comic - A Hero and Villain In Love. Updates on Wednesdays
            True Believer Reviews: Comic Reviews and Interviews on Wednesdays and Fridays - Or Your Money Back!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Jan View Post
              Just got this in my Google Alert for JMS quoting the LA Times:



              JMS hasn't said anything about it but he usually has to wait for official word to come from the studio.

              I'm posting to the newsgroup to see what JMS can tell us.

              Jan

              I saw that today. I let out a little cheer. I am *definitely* going to see that movie in the future.

              Comment


              • #8
                Apparently JMS hasn't been given a go-ahead to talk about the Silver Surfer movie:

                Title: Re: JMS: Silver Surfer movie?
                Author: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
                Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 00:50:34 -0000
                Message-ID: <[email protected] .com>

                On Jun 13, 4:32 am, Jan <[email protected]> wrote:
                > JMS,
                >
                > Just found this from the LA Times:
                >
                > http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...scriptland13ju...
                >
                > or
                >
                > http://tinyurl.com/2w65do
                >
                > << Feeling bullish on the eve of the release of its "Fantastic Four: Rise of the
                > Silver Surfer," Fox has already put a feature spinoff into development that will
                > star the enigmatic Surfer, with J. Michael Straczynski currently crafting the
                > screenplay.>>
                >
                > Anything more you can tell us?
                >

                Not as such...I don't really know how much I should or shouldn't say
                on this because I've been waiting for the official studio announcement
                and this kind of precedes that...they haven't told me *not* to comment
                on it, but they haven't told me that I could, either...so with luck I
                can say more in a few days.

                There's another little surprise in the imdb listing, btw....

                jms
                But he didn't deny it either so I'd say it's pretty definite. I'll look forward to when he can talk about it.

                Jan
                "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Jan View Post
                  But he didn't deny it either so I'd say it's pretty definite. I'll look forward to when he can talk about it.
                  Jan
                  Mmm, interesting I can't find an IMDB entry, has anyone seen it? pulled already?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Joe Nazzaro View Post
                    I agree, I think the Surfer is perfectly suited to JMS's talents. It's ironic that Fox is so gung-ho on the Surfer, even though for some reason they've been trying to pretend that the character is actually digital. I was talking to my friend Doug Jones a few months back and Fox had actually stopped him from doing any interviews (including the one we had planned for Starlog). And adding insult to injury, the makeup FX guys at Spectral Motion, who did such a spectacular job of turning Doug into Abe Sapien for Hellboy a few years back are actually prohibited from even admitting that they had anything to do with the Surfer character. This is not to take anything away from the fine folks at Weta who have done a fantastic job, but I'm not a big fan of revisionist history.
                    Joe, you're saying that the Surfer in the new film is NOT digital? I'll have to scrutinize him much closer. I believe Matt Frewer had a similar situation back in the 80's when they claimed Max Headroom was a computer character and not Matt in big-face and plastic-hair makeup.
                    Only a fool fights in a burning house.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Here's another mention of JMS scripting Silver Surfer.

                      http://www.comicmix.com/news/2007/06...r-to-fly-solo/

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        JMS has officially confirmed it:

                        The news seems to be everywhere now, and Fox hasn't said anything
                        about NOT commenting on it so...yes, I'm writing the Silver Surfer
                        movie. (Have written, actually, being the more correct form...the
                        script has already been turned in.)
                        Already turned in, no less. That explains why he's been so quiet. And there I just thought Buddy wouldn't let him out to play.

                        Jan
                        "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by B5_Obsessed View Post
                          Joe, you're saying that the Surfer in the new film is NOT digital? I'll have to scrutinize him much closer. I believe Matt Frewer had a similar situation back in the 80's when they claimed Max Headroom was a computer character and not Matt in big-face and plastic-hair makeup.
                          Taken from Wikipedia, admittedly (although I've read this in other places too): "The Silver Surfer has been created by combining the performance of actor Doug Jones, a grey-silver suit designed by Jose Fernandez and created by FX shop Spectral Motion which has then been enhanced by a new computer-generated system designed by WETA."

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Dude! A surfer movie. I'm like totally stoked. What a rad idea!
                            ---
                            Co-host of The Second Time Around podcast
                            www.benedictfamily.org/podcast

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I must say after the risible first FF movie the only thing that will persuade me to watch the second one is the presence of the silver surfer (that and the trailer which I saw when I went to see Ghost rider, wow).
                              So SS meets JMS? how can it not be great.
                              Phazedout
                              on the "haven't been psoting here as much as I've wanted too, trying to improve, cannot view from work though" ID
                              "There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X