Crusade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jan View Post
    Wow, I didn't realize that about Gary Cole. Damn, I *really* liked him in that role. Heaven knows he hasn't exactly had a lot of luck with any other series, has he?
    For the most part, I liked Gary Cole playing the captain too. I wonder what SciFi didn't like about him. Did they not like the character or not like the actor, I wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
      Nope, I'm afraid not. They were only up for a short time and people were rude and started copying them and passing them around. Anyway, the website (Bookface, I think it was) is gone now, too.

Jan
      That's sad and a half. Yeah, I realized it when I tried to google the scripts and came up with a thread from like 3 years ago from here that explained it. Real bummer.
      Flying Sparks Web Comic - A Hero and Villain In Love. Updates on Wednesdays
      True Believer Reviews: Comic Reviews and Interviews on Wednesdays and Fridays - Or Your Money Back!

Comment

@SmileOf...

You just have to wait till they will be released officially ^^

Comment

Originally posted by JDSValen View Post
          I have a subscribtion, so I'm not sure when it hits newstands.

As of yesterday, the June issue is still on the shelves. By the time I can get the magazine, I'll probably already have the DVD.
          Mac Breck (KoshN)
          ------------------
          Warner Brothers is Lucy.
          JMS and we fans are collectively Charlie Brown.
          Babylon 5 is the football.

Comment

< POSSIBLY NON-CANON SPOILERS >

Regarding the 'cliched cliffhanger' of Gideon having been shot, I think JMS knew exactly what he was doing, and was going to pull the rug out from under people by having Gideon die, rather than recover by the end of the first ep of season 2 in predictable fashion. Wasn't there supposed to be something about his essence transferring into the Apocalypse box, through which he would be resurrected later (unless the trapdoor had to be used to let Cole leave the role)? Personally I think it could have been great, cliche or not. BSG finished it's first season this way, and because of how it happened and how well it was handled it was a huge and effective shock, for me anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by raw_bean View Post
              < POSSIBLY NON-CANON SPOILERS >

Regarding the 'cliched cliffhanger' of Gideon having been shot, I think JMS knew exactly what he was doing, and was going to pull the rug out from under people by having Gideon die, rather than recover by the end of the first ep of season 2 in predictable fashion. Wasn't there supposed to be something about his essence transferring into the Apocalypse box, through which he would be resurrected later (unless the trapdoor had to be used to let Cole leave the role)? Personally I think it could have been great, cliche or not. BSG finished it's first season this way, and because of how it happened and how well it was handled it was a huge and effective shock, for me anyway.
              What would've happened next is all speculation of course, but I stand by my statement that Galen running in slow motion and yelling "NOOOOOO" or something to that effect is ridiculously cliched and has even been parodied.

Derek Zoolander at the gas pump comes to mind.
              Only a fool fights in a burning house.

Comment

Originally posted by B5_Obsessed View Post
                What would've happened next is all speculation of course, but I stand by my statement that Galen running in slow motion and yelling "NOOOOOO" or something to that effect is ridiculously cliched and has even been parodied.

Derek Zoolander at the gas pump comes to mind.
                My problem with this isn't that it's cliched, but that Galen could have done any number of things to protect Gideon instead of just running toward him. By this time, Galen was one with the tech, and had mastered shields. All he would have to have done is think of a shield around Gideon, himself and the others, and it would have formed instantly. Then he could have taken out the shooter with fireballs or the spell of destruction. He could also have conjured a flying platform under the shooter, taken him up to a few thousand feet, and dissolved the platform.

It's not wise to mess with Galen.
                Last edited by KoshN; 06-30-2007, 04:00 PM.
                Mac Breck (KoshN)
                ------------------
                Warner Brothers is Lucy.

Comment

Fair enough, I'd forgotten about Galen's involvement.

Comment

Gary Cole was not a great supporter of Crusade i.e. he didn't support the show at all. So if Galen didn't think of the right thing to do instantaneously...well I can forgive him .

Comment

Originally posted by Tim_Fleming View Post
                      Gary Cole was not a great supporter of Crusade i.e. he didn't support the show at all. So if Galen didn't think of the right thing to do instantaneously...well I can forgive him .
                      I think Gary Cole doesn't allow himself to get attached to anything. Has he supported any show he's ever been on? He probably thinks of it as just a job that could be gone in five minutes, so I guess he tries to distance himself.

Still, I've got to say, I liked him in Crusade.
                      Mac Breck (KoshN)
                      ------------------
                      Warner Brothers is Lucy.

Comment

I'm happy to be proven wrong, but I was under the impression that Cole was relatively enthusiastic about the short-lived American Gothic. I'm not sure I liked him that much in anything since.

Comment

What are we talking about when saying Gary Cole didn't/doesn't 'support' the shows? Does that mean he refuses to do any appearances or interviews at all or is he simply one of the growing number of actors who wants to get *paid* for work which includes appearances and interviews?

Jan
                          "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Two things support my contention regarding Gary Cole. He was the only cast member who did not do anything to help the show back when fans were trying to save it (1999). Other actors were happy to sign "Save Crusade" buttons for charity as well as hand out buttons and flyers out at appearances. Indeed, they actively sought us out to disperse these things. To a person they expressed a great appreciation for the show. Of course none of what I stated above is enough to indicate that Gary Cole was unhappy or cared little about Crusade. However his failure to express support for the show is consistent with other things I'd heard (not from the actors by the way. None of the actors ever said anything negative about Gary Cole). Essentially, Gary Cole was less than enthusiastic about the show while on set.

I've never heard anything that would contradict what I'm saying. Indeed, as the lead on the show one would think that his absence of commentary on the Crusade DVD was somewhat conspicous. That is someone would think that unless they knew how he regarded the show.

Comment

I have to row in with Jan somewhat on this
                              WB didn't offer any recompense to the Actors for contributing to the commenteries. Look at this form Gary's perspective, the show was over, he'd gotten paid, move on to the next Job.
                              We as fans may not appreciate the financial realities of an actor's life, givne a choice between doing something unpaid for a show he'd been assured was dead and finding more work to keep the proverbial wolf form the door I cna understand his priorities.

Also Tim you're saying you've heard Gary wasn't happ[y in the show, on the set, is it possible (without getting people in trouble obviously) to attribute the source of these statemnts?
                              Phaze
                              on the "Not trying to get Tim's back up simply seeking further information from these statements and offering an alternate reason for Gary's no-button behaviour" ID
                              "There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "

Comment

Originally posted by Tim_Fleming View Post
                                Two things support my contention regarding Gary Cole. He was the only cast member who did not do anything to help the show back when fans were trying to save it (1999). Other actors were happy to sign "Save Crusade" buttons for charity as well as hand out buttons and flyers out at appearances. Indeed, they actively sought us out to disperse these things. To a person they expressed a great appreciation for the show. Of course none of what I stated above is enough to indicate that Gary Cole was unhappy or cared little about Crusade. However his failure to express support for the show is consistent with other things I'd heard (not from the actors by the way. None of the actors ever said anything negative about Gary Cole). Essentially, Gary Cole was less than enthusiastic about the show while on set.

I've never heard anything that would contradict what I'm saying. Indeed, as the lead on the show one would think that his absence of commentary on the Crusade DVD was somewhat conspicous. That is someone would think that unless they knew how he regarded the show.
                                No offense but by the time it reaches me that's nothing but a nebulous mass thrid-hand speculation and unsourced assertions. Absence of evidence of an affection for the show is not evidence of an absence of affection for the show.

Comment

Working...
                                X