No announcement yet.

Crusade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In addition to what's been mentioned there's the novels by Cavelos which get into a little of what what Crusade was going to tackle. I'm guessing, based on an article in the August issue of SciFi magazine, that some of the stuff in those books will be dealt with in TLT DVD. (I'm purposly avoiding spoilers here)

I can only hope that future DVDs will deal with the Crusade characters, specifically Gideon and Matheson.

Quick question: Any idea on whether or not the three unproduced Crusade scripts would be considered canon? I'm asking because I'm wondering if JMS would ignore those scripts in favor of scripts for the future DVDs. Those scripts are essentially setting up a larger plot and, I'm guessing, certain elements of those scripts might be altered in favor of just jumping right into the larger story for the DVDs (again, avoiding spoilers. Maybe we should start a thread for speculation with spoilers?)
    http://www.andrewcardinale.com
    @acardi

Comment

Originally posted by JDSValen View Post
      Quick question: Any idea on whether or not the three unproduced Crusade scripts would be considered canon? I'm asking because I'm wondering if JMS would ignore those scripts in favor of scripts for the future DVDs. Those scripts are essentially setting up a larger plot and, I'm guessing, certain elements of those scripts might be altered in favor of just jumping right into the larger story for the DVDs (again, avoiding spoilers. Maybe we should start a thread for speculation with spoilers?)
      I definitely think they're canon... unless they're not. I would think that JMS would feel free to change things that haven't been produced if it allowed him flexibility to tell the story in another way or if even if he just thought of a better way to get where he was going. I never read those scripts, so I'm not sure what was in them, but IIRC JMS commented that those scripts were setting up where the series was really going. I don't think that would change. I would imagine that the destination and a lot of the touch points along the way would remain, but since the series didn't work, he has to do things differently if he wants to tell the story, and if that means changing some of the details, I'd bet he would do it in a heartbeat. The scripts, after all, were just made available as a small thing for the fans.
      "That was the law, as set down by Valen. Three castes: worker, religious, warrior."

Comment

In addition to what's been mentioned there's the novels by Cavelos which get into a little of what what Crusade was going to tackle. I'm guessing, based on an article in the August issue of SciFi magazine,
        Is it worth picking up the magazine for that article? I guess it's on newsstands, now?

... that some of the stuff in those books will be dealt with in TLT DVD. (I'm purposly avoiding spoilers here)

I can only hope that future DVDs will deal with the Crusade characters, specifically Gideon and Matheson.
        ...and Galen and Dureena and Eilerson.

I would hope that JMS would not ignore those three unproduced scripts. In fact, I'd like to see them produced as B5:TLT.
        Mac Breck (KoshN)
        ------------------
        Warner Brothers is Lucy.
        JMS and we fans are collectively Charlie Brown.
        Babylon 5 is the football.

Comment

Originally posted by WorkerCaste View Post
          I definitely think they're canon... unless they're not. I would think that JMS would feel free to change things that haven't been produced if it allowed him flexibility to tell the story in another way or if even if he just thought of a better way to get where he was going. I never read those scripts, so I'm not sure what was in them, but IIRC JMS commented that those scripts were setting up where the series was really going. I don't think that would change. I would imagine that the destination and a lot of the touch points along the way would remain, but since the series didn't work, he has to do things differently if he wants to tell the story, and if that means changing some of the details, I'd bet he would do it in a heartbeat. The scripts, after all, were just made available as a small thing for the fans.
          Except that he's really proud of To the Ends of the Earth and End of the Line, and they represent the directiion and the fire in his belly when he had decided to throw off the TNT shackles and write as if those suits didn't matter. He was also happy with Fiona's Value Judgements and said that Walter Koenig was also happy with that script.
          Mac Breck (KoshN)
          ------------------
          Warner Brothers is Lucy.

Comment

Originally posted by KoshN
            Is it worth picking up the magazine for that article? I guess it's on newsstands, now?
            I have a subscribtion, so I'm not sure when it hits newstands. It has a big Autobot symbol on it though. It pretty much has stuff that, if you've followed JMS' posts, you'd already know, but the part that I was refering to was Woodward said that he had asked JMS about his character, stuff that JMS previously didn't reveal (which he did for every character pretty much) but Woodward came up with on his own, and JMS said that he guessed right. I assumed its about the backstory of Galen and the origin of the Techno-mages.

Originally posted by KoshN
            I would hope that JMS would not ignore those three unproduced scripts.
            I was just thinking that, where the events that happened in those episodes where just a stepping stone into a much larger story, it may be easier to just start with the larger story for the DVDs. Where they are pretty much self contained there's no need to set stuff up.
            http://www.andrewcardinale.com
            @acardi

Comment

Originally posted by KoshN View Post
              Except that he's really proud of To the Ends of the Earth and End of the Line, and they represent the directiion and the fire in his belly when he had decided to throw off the TNT shackles and write as if those suits didn't matter. He was also happy with Fiona's Value Judgements and said that Walter Koenig was also happy with that script.
              Unproduced JMS *and* Fiona?! Oh man...I hope both these kids release Crusade script books.
              Flying Sparks Web Comic - A Hero and Villain In Love. Updates on Wednesdays
              True Believer Reviews: Comic Reviews and Interviews on Wednesdays and Fridays - Or Your Money Back!

Comment

Originally posted by KoshN View Post
                I would hope that JMS would not ignore those three unproduced scripts. In fact, I'd like to see them produced as B5:TLT.
                Great idea... someone should ask JMS this question in the news group!

Comment

Originally posted by SmileOfTheShadow View Post
                  Unproduced JMS *and* Fiona?! Oh man...I hope both these kids release Crusade script books.
                  "Value Judgments" was alright, although it was more important as a set-up piece and a return to the Babylon 5 story than as a self-contained script, but the two jms scripts were probably the best of the series, even if the very last scene was almost comically cliched.
                  Only a fool fights in a burning house.

Comment

Originally posted by Whyruss View Post
                    Great idea... someone should ask JMS this question in the news group!
                    Oh, he won't answer THAT one.
                    Mac Breck (KoshN)
                    ------------------
                    Warner Brothers is Lucy.

Comment

Originally posted by B5_Obsessed View Post
                      ... but the two jms scripts were probably the best of the series, even if the very last scene was almost comically cliched.
                      Yeah, standard cliffhanger, been done a million times before.
                      Mac Breck (KoshN)
                      ------------------
                      Warner Brothers is Lucy.

Comment

Originally posted by B5_Obsessed View Post
                        "Value Judgments" was alright, although it was more important as a set-up piece and a return to the Babylon 5 story than as a self-contained script, but the two jms scripts were probably the best of the series, even if the very last scene was almost comically cliched.
                        So..you've read these? lol
                        True Believer Reviews: Comic Reviews and Interviews on Wednesdays and Fridays - Or Your Money Back!

Comment

Bear in mind that JMS was probably writing that cliffhanger script with a few different concerns in mind. For one thing, with TNT about to bail out, there was some talk about selling the series to the Sci-Fi Channel at the time, and according to one person I spoke to at the time, Sci-Fi wasn't all that keen on Gary Cole. Add to that the fact that Cole himself may not have been all that happy about continuing in the series anyway, so the best thing JMS could have done with that script was to keep all his options open.

Comment

Wow, I didn't realize that about Gary Cole. Damn, I *really* liked him in that role. Heaven knows he hasn't exactly had a lot of luck with any other series, has he?

Jon, remember that JMS posted the scripts online for a while, as did Fiona with 'Value Judgments'. LOTS of people have read them.

Jan
                            "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
                              Wow, I didn't realize that about Gary Cole. Damn, I *really* liked him in that role. Heaven knows he hasn't exactly had a lot of luck with any other series, has he?

Jon, remember that JMS posted the scripts online for a while, as did Fiona with 'Value Judgments'. LOTS of people have read them.

Jan
                              Are they still availible? I need to read these! lol

Comment

Nope, I'm afraid not. They were only up for a short time and people were rude and started copying them and passing them around. Anyway, the website (Bookface, I think it was) is gone now, too.

Jan
                                "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Working...
                                X