Moderated newsgroup is down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moderated newsgroup is down

For those who might be wondering, the moderated newsgroup where JMS posts has been down for four days now. At first Jay thought that it was a full drive and partition, then an IP problem. At this point we don't have any idea how long it will be down or what the problem is, but if I have any further news I'll post it here.

Jan
    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

I think he said a DNS problem, but yeah, that's the gist of it -- down, down, down, lo these many days (five now!). And Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead! (Dating myself with that reference...let's see if any of these youngsters get it. )

Comment

Originally posted by AmyG View Post
      I think he said a DNS problem, but yeah, that's the gist of it -- down, down, down, lo these many days (five now!). And Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead! (Dating myself with that reference...let's see if any of these youngsters get it. )
      Never been afraid of dating myself so I got the reference. Ah the good old days of that show.
      ---
      Co-host of The Second Time Around podcast
      www.benedictfamily.org/podcast

Comment

Heh!

I know why the moderated newsgroup is down...

"Landshark!"

Comment

Well, it seems to be alive again.

Comment

Wonder if any of the lost posts will ever show. Could be that they await Amy's magic moderation but I'm betting they're probably lost. Oh, well, nice for it to be back.

Jan
            "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

IT's BAAAAACK Up!

Originally posted by Jan View Post
              Wonder if any of the lost posts will ever show. Could be that they await Amy's magic moderation but I'm betting they're probably lost. Oh, well, nice for it to be back.

Jan
              I re-sent my lost four, and they showed up almost immediately.
              Mac Breck (KoshN)
              ------------------
              Warner Brothers is Lucy.
              JMS and we fans are collectively Charlie Brown.
              Babylon 5 is the football.

Comment

Yes, I just got an email from Amy that said there was no back-up of posts awaiting moderation so if anybody had posts not show, it would be a good idea to repost them.

Of course, once you do, historically they'll show up making it look like you posted duplicates. Just one of those little features we "love" about the moderated newsgroup.

Jan

Comment

I just hope that JMS didn't post while it was down and we have lost it or them.
                  Joan

Comment

Originally posted by Joansie View Post
                    I just hope that JMS didn't post while it was down and we have lost it or them.
                    They should be in his Sent folder, and so not lost.
                    Mac Breck (KoshN)
                    ------------------
                    Warner Brothers is Lucy.

Comment

Not necessarily. JMS uses Google Groups to post and there's no 'Sent' folder that I know of. There isn't with Newsguy, which I use, either.

Jan

Comment

Not necessarily. JMS uses Google Groups to post and there's no 'Sent' folder that I know of. There isn't with Newsguy, which I use, either.

Jan
                        In Google Groups there is a "send me a copy of the message" check-box, which I'm going to have to start using one of these days. It sends the message to your registered e-mail address, so there is a way to keep a copy of your posts. Now, whether or not JMS knows about any of this is another question.

Regards,

Joe
                        Last edited by Joseph DeMartino; 01-08-2007, 09:01 AM.
                        Joseph DeMartino
                        Sigh Corps
                        Pat Tallman Division

Comment

Not necessarily. JMS uses Google Groups to post and there's no 'Sent' folder that I know of.
                          Eeeewwwww! You've gotta be kidding! That's the method of last resort. You have to remember to click on the "Send me a copy of this message." box before you submit the post. I don't think there's anywhere to set that globally, so that you don't have to do it in each post you send.

There isn't with Newsguy, which I use, either.

Jan
                          Not good. Wrong tool. Never use that.
                          Last edited by KoshN; 01-07-2007, 11:52 PM.
                          Mac Breck (KoshN)
                          ------------------
                          Warner Brothers is Lucy.

Comment

Awright...I know I'm not the most observant of people and gods know I'm technically challenged at the best of times but where the heck is this "Send me a copy of this message" box you two are talking about?!? I don't get any of the email options, is it part of those? When I reply to a post online with GG, this is all I see:

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated
                            Cc:
                            Followup To:
                            Add Cc | Add Followup-to | Edit Subject
                            I can add my own email as a CC, I guess but I don't see any check box.

And Newsguy's fine for me. There really aren't that many times I want to keep a copy of my deathless prose in case it doesn't reach the newsgroup. If I do, I'll just copy it to my word processor.

Jan
                            Suspicious that posting has gone back down again on RASTB5M...What, me paranoid??

Comment

Awright...I know I'm not the most observant of people and gods know I'm technically challenged at the best of times but where the heck is this "Send me a copy of this message" box you two are talking about?!? I don't get any of the email options, is it part of those?
                              It's in the older version of the interface, not the GMail-esque Groups Beta. It's at http://groups.google.com instead of http://groups-beta.google.com.

Comment

Working...
                              X