Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mira Furlan's Autobiography link to pre-order

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mira Furlan's Autobiography link to pre-order

    This looks to be shipping in November:
    Link to Pre-Order Mira Furlan's autobiography (shipping in November) https://mirafurlan.net/book-order-domestic/

    Love me more than anything in the world: stories about belonging

    An Excerpt

    Am I writing this book for you? So that you can understand what came before you?

    So that you can get a glimpse into a distant, long gone world that your parents came from? Do you even want to know about it? Do you need that heavy baggage, the baggage that your mother keeps dragging through her life, without ever finding a way of putting it down, if only for a second?

    Or am I writing it for an anonymous American reader who has barely heard of me, let alone the country of my birth? Am I writing it as a warning? Am I trying to say: “I told you so?” And do I want to add (without daring to say it out loud): “… but you didn’t listen?”

    Or am I writing it for myself, to myself? Why? Is it to “understand myself better” by trying to detect the hidden “story” in the scattered, illogical, messy narrative of my life?

    And while I’ve been trying to answer these unanswerable questions, toiling over words in a language that is not mine (although I audaciously pretend it is), something very strange has happened: you have grown up. Not only that: America has become a different country, a country ominously similar to the place we once left in horror and despair. There is no doubt anymore that the forces that chased us out of our own homes have won a global victory. We fought those forces once. Now we feel tired. We are exhausted by repetition.

    And, strangely enough, this book is becoming a different book. It is no longer a book of memories of a distant place and a distant time. It is becoming something very different: a plea to America and the world.
    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

  • #2
    ORDERED!!!!! I can't wait. Oh going to be soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo emotional.
    Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

    Comment


    • #3
      I signed up for one as well. The shipping to Europe was not as bad as I had feared.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Satai with Punsch View Post
        I signed up for one as well. The shipping to Europe was not as bad as I had feared.
        True. It's not a cheap book but that's probably small printing. Really looking forward to it.
        "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Jan View Post

          True. It's not a cheap book but that's probably small printing. Really looking forward to it.
          Me too. And hopefully the lottery that is our customs do not hit me with to much extra cost.

          Comment


          • #6
            Was going to ask if anyone had heard anything, but my brain came by (hello!) and said to re-check https://mirafurlan.net/book-order-domestic/ for more information.
            Looks like they begin shipping next week - the 22nd of November.
            "This is not a clear and present danger? I must read the rule book again."

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by LateArrival View Post
              Was going to ask if anyone had heard anything, but my brain came by (hello!) and said to re-check https://mirafurlan.net/book-order-domestic/ for more information.
              Looks like they begin shipping next week - the 22nd of November.
              Looks like brains have declared a 'visiting week' or something because mine gave me the same impulse a few days ago. Difference is, I completely spaced coming over here to actually tell people! Thanks.
              "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

              Comment


              • #8
                OMG! ? Thank you so much for bringing this up again. I totally spaced on ordering a second copy for my mother for Christmas. WOW! I can't believe I forgot to do that until just now when I came here. I am THE WORST! Thanks for posting in the thread again to remind me. ? Second Purchase Complete! ?
                Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

                Comment


                • #9
                  There have been talk, at least on Facebook, about Miras book starting to ship this November 22. I now looked at Miras homepage and the information there is that the November printing have been delayed and that shipping starts on December 15th.

                  So perhaps it will be a late Christmas or even New Years read instead then.
                  Last edited by Satai with Punsch; 11-24-2022, 03:10 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Satai with Punsch View Post
                    There have been talk, at least on Facebook, about Miras book starting to ship this November 22. I now looked at Miras homepage and the information there is that the November printing have been delayed and that shipping starts on December 15th.

                    So perhaps it will be a late Christmas or even New Years read isntead then.
                    I just found out about that and was coming to post. Thanks for beating me!
                    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I checked the website a little bit ago and it now says shipping around December 20th.
                      "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Jan View Post
                        I checked the website a little bit ago and it now says shipping around December 20th.
                        Oh darn it! I bought one as a Christmas gift for my mom. SHOOT! I guess I will have to end up shipping it to her.
                        Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          A lovely excerpt posted on Mira's Facebook page:



                          Click image for larger version  Name:	Excerpt.jpg Views:	0 Size:	73.8 KB ID:	162066
                          "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Is it strange that reading that is now making me dread reading the book? It is going to make me so sad.
                            Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Jan View Post
                              A lovely excerpt posted on Mira's Facebook page:



                              Click image for larger version Name:	Excerpt.jpg Views:	0 Size:	73.8 KB ID:	162066
                              I recall reading some re-posted messages from the Long Ago Days where she described having to leave Yugoslavia, and this feels like she is "returning home" - after a fashion.



                              Originally posted by Looney View Post
                              Oh darn it! I bought one as a Christmas gift for my mom. SHOOT! I guess I will have to end up shipping it to her.

                              How about as a ​B5 30th anniversary gift in January 2023?
                              Last edited by LateArrival; 12-11-2022, 01:43 PM.
                              "This is not a clear and present danger? I must read the rule book again."

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X