This shows how strong JMS's writing voice is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This shows how strong JMS's writing voice is

So I'm watching Capitan America: Civil War for the first time in I don't know how long. During Peggy Carter's funeral, her niece Sharon comes up and says the following: “Compromise where you can. Where you can't, don't. Even if everyone is telling you that something wrong is something right. Even if the whole world is telling you to move, it is your duty to plant yourself like a tree, look them in the eye, and say 'No, you move'.”

Now I'm hearing this and it sounded to me like something JMS would say. So Google it and sure enough it was something he wrote in Spiderman #537. I didn't really follow Joe's comics that closely so I didn't really know the source.

Now I'm sure somewhere when the movie first came out I was aware of it and maybe it was subliminally etched in my brain, but I didn't remember it today.

Amazing how I was able to pick this out just based on the tone and phrasing.
    All generalizations are false, including this one.

Hmmmm did he get credit for that? ..... Well he got a SPECIAL THANKS credit.
    Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Comment

Originally posted by AstroBoy View Post
      So I'm watching Capitan America: Civil War for the first time in I don't know how long. During Peggy Carter's funeral, her niece Sharon comes up and says the following: “Compromise where you can. Where you can't, don't. Even if everyone is telling you that something wrong is something right. Even if the whole world is telling you to move, it is your duty to plant yourself like a tree, look them in the eye, and say 'No, you move'.”

Now I'm hearing this and it sounded to me like something JMS would say. So Google it and sure enough it was something he wrote in Spiderman #537. I didn't really follow Joe's comics that closely so I didn't really know the source.

Now I'm sure somewhere when the movie first came out I was aware of it and maybe it was subliminally etched in my brain, but I didn't remember it today.

Amazing how I was able to pick this out just based on the tone and phrasing.
      I had the same with Sense8. Although we'll likely never have a very clear picture due to the way they worked, I swear I could pick out the JMS lines in the dialogue. The opening sequence of episode 1, which I still love, just screams JMS. It sets out the stall so well. Still feel like the show never really realised its potential in terms of storytelling. But that may just be me transposing my desires onto the show and what I thought it COULD be.
      Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

Originally posted by Ubik View Post

I had the same with Sense8. Although we'll likely never have a very clear picture due to the way they worked, I swear I could pick out the JMS lines in the dialogue. The opening sequence of episode 1, which I still love, just screams JMS. It sets out the stall so well. Still feel like the show never really realised its potential in terms of storytelling. But that may just be me transposing my desires onto the show and what I thought it COULD be.
        I 100% agree with this. I often heard a line and thought JMS, and more than a few times I KNEW it was JMS. LOL And I can see the transposing desires onto it. I myself wonder what might have been if it had been all JMS.
        Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Comment

Working...
        X