Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JMS now on Patreon

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    For anybody who may have missed it, JMS is hosting the first Patreon chat this afternoon at 4:00 PM Pacific time (7:00 PM Eastern).
    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

    Comment


    • #17
      Would curious to hear how this was for anyone involved.
      Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

      Kosh: Good!

      Comment


      • #18
        I thought it went well. Very reminiscent of 'old time' chats from, for instance, the AOL days. JMS did clarify the dream he's got for the Patreon and it's not small. Two screenshots.

        Click image for larger version  Name:	chat 1.JPG Views:	1 Size:	17.4 KB ID:	156486

        Click image for larger version  Name:	chat 2.JPG Views:	1 Size:	18.4 KB ID:	156487


        Click image for larger version

Name:	Chat 3.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	156488
        Last edited by Jan; 05-18-2020, 05:39 PM.
        "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

        Comment


        • #19
          I REALLY want to be at the $100 Tier.

          SO if I start my own Patreon will you guys fund me getting to that $100 a month Tier? I think we can do it.
          Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

          Comment


          • #20
            what are the rewards looney, i want custom rants and my own perosnal answerphone message, can you deliver/ at a low low price?
            "There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "

            Comment


            • #21
              Hey when I rant that is my GIFT to you.

              But I would gladly makeup fake rants to raise $100 a month to pay JMS.
              Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

              Comment


              • #22
                This might interest a lot of people. JMS has put a video up on his Patreon that would ordinarily be for the Writer's Tier but he's made it available as a sample.

                https://www.patreon.com/posts/for-writers-38041878

                I think the topic could be relevant to a lot of people and circumstances.


                I also asked in a little more detail what goal he might be hoping for and he replied:

                Click image for larger version

Name:	Goal.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	156588
                "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

                Comment


                • #23
                  I've pinned this topci as JMS has decided (with the approval of the Patrons) that the videos he'll be sharing on Patreon will be exclusive for a period of time and then made pulic. The first is a writing video on Imposter Syndrome:

                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpgLTiQyrGw

                  Click image for larger version  Name:	Youtube.JPG Views:	0 Size:	48.9 KB ID:	156713
                  Last edited by Jan; 07-20-2020, 01:56 PM.
                  "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Did I misread it when I voted? I thought he said "some" of the videos? Just clarifying because I wouldn't want people to think it is all of them if he did say "some".

                    And while I am here, I still continue to be pretty satisfied with what I have seen on his Patreon.
                    Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Looney View Post
                      Did I misread it when I voted? I thought he said "some" of the videos?
                      "Some" is what it says in that screenshot. There aren't many so far so time will tell.

                      And in case anybody didn't get the email, JMS suggested having another Discord chat this coming weekend - details to come.


                      "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Jan View Post
                        This might interest a lot of people. JMS has put a video up on his Patreon that would ordinarily be for the Writer's Tier but he's made it available as a sample.

                        https://www.patreon.com/posts/for-writers-38041878

                        I think the topic could be relevant to a lot of people and circumstances.


                        I also asked in a little more detail what goal he might be hoping for and he replied:

                        Click image for larger version  Name:	Goal.JPG Views:	76 Size:	37.1 KB ID:	156588
                        Was this in relation to an audio drama? If so, this is a fully ridiculous quote for an audio drama. Most audio dramas do an entire season for under 5k. The gear isn't expensive and the main cost is actors, and again voice actors aren't that pricey. The audio drama community would laugh good, long and hard at that figure. If he's putting financial barriers like that on things, I doubt we'll see any new content from this Patreon.
                        Last edited by Ubik; 08-05-2020, 02:48 AM.
                        Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

                        Kosh: Good!

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Ubik View Post

                          Was this in relation to an audio drama? If so, this is a fully ridiculous quote for an audio drama. Most audio dramas do an entire season for under 5k. The gear isn't expensive and the main cost is actors, and again voice actors aren't that pricey. The audio drama community would laugh good, long and hard at that figure. If he's putting financial barriers like that on things, I doubt we'll see any new content from this Patreon.
                          I assume you've gotten those figures directly from Big Finish or something similar? If not, then why not? Given that he's done brief audio dramas in the past, I think we can assume he has an idea of what it will cost for him to produce what he wants at the quality he wants. I don't think anybody assumed he'd want to produce something of the quality of the basic podcast.
                          "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Jan View Post

                            I assume you've gotten those figures directly from Big Finish or something similar? If not, then why not? Given that he's done brief audio dramas in the past, I think we can assume he has an idea of what it will cost for him to produce what he wants at the quality he wants. I don't think anybody assumed he'd want to produce something of the quality of the basic podcast.
                            Definitely not talking about basic podcasts. I'm talking about full quality productions, with sounds FX, music, the works. The technology to do this now is cheaper than ever, and gone are the days where you need to rent studio time. Look at the current audio drama landscape, Big Finish does great work, but is pretty much an irrelevance. I feel like JMS is working on old assumptions from the days of City of Dreams.

                            You can record a professional standard audio drama in your bedroom. For one month of Patreon income, JMS could by all the required hardware and be done. Then all you need is a part time engineer and you can make audio dramas. Voice actors on top, etc.

                            This six figure nonsense is a hurdle that doesn't need to be there. I just feel like you guys are very unlikely to see anything in terms of tangible new content with that approach. It's just my view. But, I feel like it's frustratingly short sighted.
                            Last edited by Ubik; 08-05-2020, 11:54 AM.
                            Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

                            Kosh: Good!

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Ubik View Post
                              I feel like JMS is working on old assumptions from the days of City of Dreams.

                              You can record a professional standard audio drama in your bedroom. For one month of Patreon income, JMS could by all the required hardware and be done. Then all you need is a part time engineer and you can make audio dramas. Voice actors on top, etc.
                              He may be using older figures or he may not. He specifically mentioned shipping things to voice actors for them to record their bits and then on. I guess we'll find out when we find out. Until then, I have no uninformed opinion to offer.
                              "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Jan View Post

                                He may be using older figures or he may not. He specifically mentioned shipping things to voice actors for them to record their bits and then on. I guess we'll find out when we find out. Until then, I have no uninformed opinion to offer.
                                I will watch with interest. Keep us posted on any output. I engage with the audio drama community quite a bit, so I have a rough idea of costs and what he's quoted is just waaay over the odds. Laughable even. Maybe he wants Tom Cruise to read all the parts, I dunno...
                                Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

                                Kosh: Good!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X