Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, what are you watching during the lockdown?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    I just finished up watching Devs, which I think I watched in 2-3 sittings as it was one of those 'I need to know more...' type mini series. Brainchild of Alex Garland, who wrote and directed the whole thing. 8 Episodes, done in one. Very visually stylised, probably what I'd call 'brainy sci-fi', with some very cool ideas on reality and time. Clearly well researched on the physics / science side of things, and no cod pop psychology or science. Recommended.
    Last edited by Ubik; 06-05-2020, 02:13 AM.
    Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

    Kosh: Good!

    Comment


    • #32
      I watched all of THE WATCHMEN Season One. I enjoyed it, but it was a strange show. I will definitely watch Season Two, but I hope they come up with a stronger effort. Something about it just seemed weak. BUT I love Regina King and I am so glad she got to headline a show like this. I haven't really heard many people talking about it, but I'm sure it was big enough to garner a second season.

      SO weird side note, I'm very surprised that these days of quarantine haven't lead to more discussion. I admit it is strange that I have had more free time on my hands than I have had in a long time, but I still don't come here every day. In fact I come much less often that when I was always super busy. I wonder if it is because I'm not employed right now so I feel like I have to try to make myself seem busy and therefore I forget to come here for recreation. I don't know. It is very strange.
      Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

      Comment


      • #33
        Tom Hank's new movie, Greyhound.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by Looney View Post
          I watched all of THE WATCHMEN Season One. I enjoyed it, but it was a strange show. I will definitely watch Season Two, but I hope they come up with a stronger effort. Something about it just seemed weak. BUT I love Regina King and I am so glad she got to headline a show like this. I haven't really heard many people talking about it, but I'm sure it was big enough to garner a second season.
          I really enjoyed how they extrapolated the events from the comics and used it to talk about social and political issues in today's society. Pretty sure that Damon Lindeloff swore blind he won't do a Season 2, as he feels it was a 'done in one' and he wanted to do it right and not drag things out for the sake of it. He said he'd be open to someone else tackling it. I honesty thought this was the closest any adaptation has come to something Alan Moore might approve of. Sure, grumpy old uncle Alan will never watch it, but it felt like there was a good understanding of the comics and a willingness to be creative from there.

          It's far less tone deaf than the Snyder adaptation, which kills itself via its slavish adherence to the comic as a storyboard, and forgets to be a film in its own right. Plus, Synder and any form of nuance, NOPE. Lindeloff at least appear to 'get' the universe.
          Last edited by Ubik; 07-11-2020, 06:09 AM.
          Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

          Kosh: Good!

          Comment


          • #35
            I would be shocked if there was no second season, but that doesn't mean the same person has to run it. Oddly enough I remember I actually read the graphic novel, but I remember almost nothing about it. I really like the movie, but have, in truth, only watched it a few times.

            SPOILERS......


            SO Ubik spoiler talk time....

            Things I didn't care for....

            1. Using Don Johnson the way he was used. I would have much preferred that...
            • A. .....he had been a pawn who didn't know anything. Tell me if I am wrong, but it wasn't about racism with him. There were a few scenes where he showed genuine concern and relief so I got the impression by the end that it had never been about racism with him, but the grand plan that racism was used to hide. Am I wrong? Because I feel like I am right and if I am I know the average viewer didn't pick that up and they just think he was a racist, which is so wrong if I am right.
            • B. .....the hypnosis thing hadn't been the thing.

            2. Adrian Veidt's travel time. Come on! No phones, but snap your fingers and he is back?!

            3. The Silver Streak guy. I hate pointless loose threads that clearly have to be explained and yet we're told they will never be explained. And why make it so OBVIOUSLY the FBI underling?!

            4. Biggest of all psychic squid. WHAT?! That was the best that could be imagined?! I guess I kind of get it, but I don't like it.

            Those are the only ones I can remember these weeks later.

            Favorite things other than Regina King getting her own HBO Show.

            1. Yahya Abdul-Mateen II as Cal Abar and you know who. LOL = He was great, but I thought it was kind of poorly handle how for the first several episodes you knew there had to be more to him than they were showing. But after the reveal I thought he was absolutely fantastic.

            2. Jean Smart - Laurie Blake = The only mistake they made with her was the totally predictable and cliche seeming night she left her room to go to the other room.

            3. Tim Blake Nelson - Wade Tillman = I greatly enjoyed this character, but the fact he was so close connected to the stupid psychic squid thing it kind of ruined. it.

            4. Don Johnson - Judd Crawford = Loved this character until they ruined it.
            Last edited by Looney; 07-11-2020, 01:28 PM.
            Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by Ubik View Post
              So, what are people watching to pass the time?
              Updating my earlier post.

              I own the "Q" DVD compilation for quite some years.
              It quietly did reside in the bookshelf - and I never payed attention.
              I always had some other "brand new" or "appealing" stuff.

              But now I pulled the DVDs off and watched all the "Q" episodes in a rush.

              Very funny. And pure nostalgia!

              What else can I say?
              TheQContinuum is absolutely first choice compared to QAnon.

              B5-Stefan

              --
              Ivanova: "You're a vicious man"
              Garibaldi: "I'm Head of Security. It's in the job description"
              [Babylon 5]

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by B5-Stefan View Post

                Updating my earlier post.

                I own the "Q" DVD compilation for quite some years.
                It quietly did reside in the bookshelf - and I never payed attention.
                I always had some other "brand new" or "appealing" stuff.

                But now I pulled the DVDs off and watched all the "Q" episodes in a rush.
                Very funny. And pure nostalgia!
                It's the TNG Q we are talking about now, right? The Q episodes are often great fun. Sometimes he is to much. I listen to a great podcast, Rachel Watches Star Trek, and they recently started watching and discussing TNG episodes so I got reminded of Q. Got to agree, the episodes are funny and pure nostalgia. I really like how TNG managed to tie the first and last episode together using Q.

                Omnipotent beings being up to no good is a very Roddenberry thing, and sometimes very silly (at least in TOS), but with Q they got it right. Even though he is sometimes rather silly as well.


                Our watching at the moment is:

                A rewatch of Firefly as this year is the 15 year jubilee for Serenity the movie.
                Continue watching UFO

                And we recently started watching the 70ies show The Good Life. Still great fun. Very 70ies, but surprisingly fitting with the new trend in being self sufficient.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by Satai with Punsch View Post
                  It's the TNG Q we are talking about now, right?
                  Yes. The whole bunch: all the TNG, DS9 and VOY Q eps.


                  Originally posted by Satai with Punsch View Post
                  I really like how TNG managed to tie the first and last episode together using Q.
                  You're right. It's real good scriptwriting: The END is (somehow) the BEGINNING and the BEGINNING is (about) the END.


                  Originally posted by Satai with Punsch View Post
                  Omnipotent beings being up to no good is a very Roddenberry thing, and sometimes very silly (at least in TOS), but with Q they got it right. Even though he is sometimes rather silly as well.
                  Not only omnipotent beings seem to me silly at TOS. Over the decades TOS got a bit oldfashioned in some ways.


                  Originally posted by Satai with Punsch View Post
                  Our watching at the moment is:
                  A rewatch of Firefly as this year is the 15 year jubilee for Serenity the movie.
                  YEEES!
                  You must know, that I ONLY got into "Castle" because of Nathan Fillion.
                  And I stayed.
                  Meanwhile I did rewatch "Castle" threetimes - although it isn't SF.
                  (But not to forget: in one "Castle" ep. Nathan was wearing his "Brown Coat")

                  Originally posted by Satai with Punsch View Post
                  Continue watching UFO
                  It's pretty a while ago, that I rewatched the Andersons series "Space: 1999".


                  Originally posted by Satai with Punsch View Post
                  And we recently started watching the 70ies show The Good Life. Still great fun. Very 70ies, but surprisingly fitting with the new trend in being self sufficient.

                  Well, with my spare time it's not up to me to watch to much "very old stuff".

                  B5-Stefan

                  --
                  "Sci fi fans know Brexit by its true name: Kobayashi Maru."
                  [Tade Thompson? tweet, Nov. 15, 2018]


                  Last edited by B5-Stefan; 08-06-2020, 10:45 AM.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X