Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, what are you watching during the lockdown?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, what are you watching during the lockdown?

Well, here in the UK, pretty much everything is closed and we are being strongly encouraged to stay at home. So, what are people watching to pass the time? I have the following on the go:

Better Call Saul (weekly) - Man, this third season is just superb, it's starting to connect more and more dots from Breaking Bad, but it stands firmly on its own two feet and just gets better and better. not as 'high drama' as Breaking Bad, but wonderful none the less.

Star Trek Picard - A show that i was initially so excited for, seems to get worse and worse every week. It's like the writers forgot how to tell a good in a single episode. I mean, not even an A plot / B plot structure. Instead we are beholden to a rather badly executed arc that just feels unbelievable and badly crafted. Maybe, for once, the influence of B5 isn't a good thing. Hahahaha. Makes me miss episodal Trek.

Star Wars: Clone Wars (animated series): Slowly working my way through this having loved 'Rebels'. For my money, it's not as good as Rebels as it suffers from the presence of irksome Episode 1 characters, but definitely has some good moments.

Homecoming - My brother tipped this as something to watch, so may give it a go soon.

Apart from that, I repaired some dusty and neglected 80s Bang & Olufsen speakers that a friend gifted me, and they now sound really great, so playing a lot of music.
    Last edited by Ubik; 03-23-2020, 05:22 AM.
    Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

I'm catching up on stuff recorded on my computer, Dish Network and over the air DVRs.

During the daytime I'm preparing my vegetable garden for planting. I've tilled the two raised beds (8ftx45ft each) and removed weeds from about 1/2 of one of them. I'll finish weeding Tuesday, weather permitting, amend the soil by adding CaCO3 (lime) and bags of garden soil. Then I can start planting. I've already got about 40 plants, including Carolina Reaper, Trinidad Moruga scorpion, Bhut Jolokia, Habanero and Jalapeno peppers. It will be my first year for Carolina Reapers. I also plant a lot of tomato varieties. I've got two properties about 20 miles apart, each with some lawn acreage and trees to take care of.

Comment

Originally posted by Kraig View Post
      I'm catching up on stuff recorded on my computer, Dish Network and over the air DVRs.

During the daytime I'm preparing my vegetable garden for planting. I've tilled the two raised beds (8ftx45ft each) and removed weeds from about 1/2 of one of them. I'll finish weeding Tuesday, weather permitting, amend the soil by adding CaCO3 (lime) and bags of garden soil. Then I can start planting. I've already got about 40 plants, including Carolina Reaper, Trinidad Moruga scorpion, Bhut Jolokia, Habanero and Jalapeno peppers. It will be my first year for Carolina Reapers. I also plant a lot of tomato varieties. I've got two properties about 20 miles apart, each with some lawn acreage and trees to take care of.
      Man, that is an AWESOME selection of chillis. I love some heat in my cooking!

Comment

Originally posted by Ubik View Post

Star Wars: Clone Wars (animated series): Slowly working my way through this having loved 'Rebels'. For my money, it's not as good as Rebels as it suffers from the presence of irksome Episode 1 characters, but definitely has some good moments.
        I just have a sec. I am about halfway through CLONE WARS. I love and hate it. LOL Mostly love. The area I live in is enjoying the comfort of everything being ordered closed by our Governor, but that is un-American so businesses are refusing to close. Isn't that smart?!
        Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Comment

Raising dion
          Gotham season 5
          grace and frankie
          befoteigners
          "There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "

Comment

Originally posted by Looney View Post

I just have a sec. I am about halfway through CLONE WARS. I love and hate it. LOL Mostly love. The area I live in is enjoying the comfort of everything being ordered closed by our Governor, but that is un-American so businesses are refusing to close. Isn't that smart?!
            Ah, the general public, arrogance and stupidity all in the same package!

Yeah, with Clone Wars I just skip any episodes with:

a) Jar Jar
            b) Younglings
            c) Exclusively droids

Season 5 really rested my boundaries with the 4 part younglings saga, then a 3 part droid arc.

However, one can rejoice at episodes with:

a) Clone Trooper centric plots
            b) Ahsoka
            c) Bounty Hunters
            Last edited by Ubik; 03-26-2020, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Sorry I was rushed last time. I meant to say ''Halfway through CLONE WARS SEASON TWO." OOOPS

I just got to THE MANDALORE PLOT, S2E12. Pretty good. I want more background on Madalorian History.

So what I can't stand is how good and bad things can be. Yes Jar Jar is SOOO awful and I live for the day we get to see him trip and fumble around and cut his own head off. BUT my main issues with the show are that it isn't just geared toward and older crowd. Certain aspects and plots are definitely meant to be enjoyed by people 12 and up, but too much of the show is geared toward those under 12. I REALLY can't stand the Anakin / Ahsoka relationship. I guess what I really mean is I can't stand how un-Jedi like they seem, especially Ahsoka. That is and angle of the show that goes hand-in-hand with gearing it toward kids. She has to be a sassy smart-ass for the sake of it being a TV Show and I can't stand it. I'm sure as I get into later seasons things will change and she will grow and learn, but I feel like it makes no sense that she has made it this far.

Another aspect of the show I don't care for is varying degrees of animation quality. Most of the time the show is amazing when it comes to animation, but then suddenly there will be a character introduced that just looks absolutely AWFUL. First major example I can think of was in Season One Episode Six, DOWNFALL OF A DROID. The wasted RON PERLMAN on Gha Nachkt, clearly the worst visualized character of the show to that point. That is the worst example, but there have been others where it seemed they just got sloppy.

Definitely my favorite plots to this point are the Clone-centric plots and the plots that focus on other Jedi who are not Anakin and Ahsoka. WOW do the Clones REALLY get the short end of the stick. Stuff like that is just brilliant, but why does this have to be a kids SHOW?!?!?!?!?!

Okay so I am watching the series in what is supposed to be a chronological order according to a list a friend sent me. Right now we are watching one or two episodes a day, so I doubt we will catch up to Ubik. ..... Don't wait for us. We'll be fine. LOL

Comment

I know what you mean about Clone Wars Looney. It's variable. I thought Rebels was superior in almost every respect, it felt like they'd taken all the lessons learned on Clone Wars and and made a much improved version, not beholden to the prequel trilogy. It DOES improve as it goes, but you have to occasionally skip episodes for the sake of sanity.

I think the Anakin Ahsoka stuff also gets a lot more interesting as the show progresses.

Comment

So, what are people watching to pass the time?
                  At the moment no TV show.
                  I'm doing the Gollum: "My PRECIOUS!!"

Out of my DVD treasury:

- BBT seasons 11+12
                  (with all the recurring guest stars and guest star cameos: Steven Hawking, Will Wheaton, Neil Gaiman, the astronomer Neil deGrasse Tyson, Bill Nye, Bill Gates and many others...)

- parallel to BBT all 3 or 4 days I'm (once again) rewatching B5; just in the middle of s1.

- and if I'm in the right mood, I'm watching some CASTLE eps. - with the great Nathan Fillion and Stana Katic.

When BBT is over, ONCE UPON A TIME last season will follow.
                  And after that, DARK MATTER beginning with s.1 is still awaiting.

And the best of all: it's per beamer on the whole white wall: pure "cineamscope"-feeling.
                  Did You ever watch Babylon5 in cinema?

B5-Stefan

--
                  "Imagination is more important than knowledge, because knowledge is limited."
                  [Albert Einstein]

Comment

Since I'm off work for the time being I'm catching up on stuff on my DVr and Streaming services. Some of what I'm watching these days:

Movies I've recorded during the free weeks from HBO, Showtime, Starz etc... So far I've seen The Mustang, Black Klaansman, Godzilla King of the Monsters, The Upside, and First Man.

Dispatches from Elsewhere
                    Better Call Saul Season 5
                    Cosmos Season 2 (or 3)
                    Altered Carbon,
                    Star Trek Picard
                    The Twilight Zone (new version on CBS All Access)
                    And more.

Hmm... Maybe I should watch Black Mirror Bandersnatch now that I have the time.
                    All generalizations are false, including this one.

Comment

I seem to have gone off watching much of anything lately. But I'm re-reading some of the Dresden Files series in preparation for the *two* new books coming out this year.

"As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

I am also reading; on with Adrian Tchaikovsky's 'Children of Time', and it's bloody superb. On paper the premise sounds sort of ridiculous; an evolutionary uplift experiment goes wrong, and spiders end up being the uplifted species instead of homosapiens, but it's SO well researched in terms of how the spider society functions, and I am already so very attached to the main spider characters. It's also a total page turner and manages to communicate a lot of great concepts without getting bogged down in hard SF science. Recommended.

Comment

I am also reading; on with Adrian Tchaikovsky's 'Children of Time', and it's bloody superb. On paper the premise sounds sort of ridiculous; an evolutionary uplift experiment goes wrong, and spiders end up being the uplifted species instead of homosapiens, but it's SO well researched in terms of how the spider society functions, and I am already so very attached to the main spider characters. It's also a total page turner and manages to communicate a lot of great concepts without getting bogged down in hard SF science. Recommended.
                          That does sound like fun!
                          "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

What is this "reading" you speak of?

Comment

I am most of the way through Westworld Season 1. Wow, very good TV. I hear it goes off the rails a bit in S2, but this has been such a strong opener. Reminds me of Dollhouse a bit, if Dollhouse had actually been good. Plays with the AI / artificial life thing in a very smart way.

Comment

Working...
                              X