IMDb Poll: Happy 65th Birthday J. Michael Straczynski

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IMDb Poll: Happy 65th Birthday J. Michael Straczynski

I created a poll on IMDb that just went live a few minute ago. For your vote to count, you will need to log into a free IMDb account.

This is the link to the poll:
    https://www.imdb.com/poll/zYf8_GzpePk/ Happy 65th Birthday J. Michael Straczynski

J. Michael Straczynski celebrates his sixty-fifth birthday on July 17, 2019. Straczynski is commonly known as jms. He is an American television and film screenwriter, producer, director, and comic book writer. Straczynski is the founder of Studio JMS. He is best known as the creator of the science fiction television series Babylon 5 (1994) and its spinoff Crusade (1999), as well as the series Jeremiah (2002), and Sense8 (2015). Straczynski wrote the psychological drama film Changeling (2008) and was co-writer on the martial arts thriller Ninja Assassin (2009), horror film Underworld Awakening (2012), and apocalyptic horror film World War Z (2013). His autobiography Becoming Superman debuts July 23, 2019. Which of his film and television accomplishments do you find most intriguing?
    After voting, please wish jms a happy sixty-fifth birthday.

Very interesting. I almost answered B5 with my gut, but that isn't really the question. "Intriguing" points where?! Is almost definitely SENSE 8?! I don't know. That is kind of my gut reaction, but then I think of B5, Crusade, and even Jeremiah. Been thinking about this since I read "Intriguing" when I thought it was going to be "Favorite" or "Best" or even "Worst", but "Intriguing" is and "Intriguing" question. LOL
    Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Comment

I still think B5. It's his masterpiece. On first viewing, there's a LOT of intrigue.
      Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

Originally posted by Ubik View Post
        I still think B5. It's his masterpiece. On first viewing, there's a LOT of intrigue.
        Yes it is definitely his masterpiece (to date) and there is plenty of intrigue, but I was thinking in different context.

DAN is the word "intriguing" specifically directed at the content of the material or the concept of the material? I ask because I started thinking about what might have been. If I were sitting in a pitch meeting for each of JMS' projects and he was trying to sell it to me which one would sound the most intriguing because so many of them had SO much potential? Sorry to over think this, but that choice of word really got me thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by Looney View Post

Yes it is definitely his masterpiece (to date) and there is plenty of intrigue, but I was thinking in different context.

DAN is the word "intriguing" specifically directed at the content of the material or the concept of the material? I ask because I started thinking about what might have been. If I were sitting in a pitch meeting for each of JMS' projects and he was trying to sell it to me which one would sound the most intriguing because so many of them had SO much potential? Sorry to over think this, but that choice of word really got me thinking.
          I chose the word "intriguing" because "favorite" or "best" would likely solicit only a few responses. Think of intriguing out of the ordinary or slightly unexpected.

I also wanted jms fans and other people to ponder the extent of jms's career.

I fully agree that B5 is jms's masterpiece to date. I suspect he has a few surprises for us in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dassow View Post

I also wanted jms fans and other people to ponder the extent of jms's career.
            GOAL 100% ACHIEVED WITH THIS FAN.

In my pondering I have REALLY gone back and forth between SENSE 8, the original version of CHANGELING, and BABYLON 5. With regard to my earlier statements I think hands down BABYLON 5 would win in a pitch session if it were say 1990, but not so much today oddly because of what BABYLON 5 originally did. Pitch meeting in today's terms I would likely have to go with his original CHANGELING pitch. I mean if he pitched the idea before you read the story you would likely want to read the story.

Having said that, if one knew the history and lore behind BABYLON 5, I mean the show it was during the time it was on, then hands down BABYLON 5. If people REALLY knew what he was able to accomplish with that "Novel for Television" during the time and space it happened and what it meant for the future of Science Fiction Television (and I would even argue movies), then no question BABYLON 5.

Comment

Happy belated Birthday JMS!

I wish most writers in Hollywood had the same quality in their writing that JMS has. The quality of the various movies and television coming out now would be far greater than what they are. If he was given the chance of creating a Mini Novel for Theatres like some kind of film series involving three or more movies at the same caliber Babylon 5 was, wow that would be something to see.

The Great Maker definitely broke the mold when JMS was created.

Comment

Originally posted by Truth66 View Post
                Happy belated Birthday JMS!

... creating a Mini Novel for Theatres ...
                Ah, Snow White!

B5-Stefan

--
                Delenn: "We believe that no race can be truly intelligent without laughter"
                [Babylon5, A Race Through Dark Places]

Comment

Originally posted by B5-Stefan View Post

Ah, Snow White!

B5-Stefan
                  Not exactly what I had in mind (lol).

Comment

Working...
                  X