X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B5-Stefan
    replied
    Originally posted by Jan View Post
    Some of the stories from "Becoming Superman" told in JMS' own voice. Interview with the BBC series Outlook:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/w3csz37y

Great!
    Thank You, Jan

--
    "Without empathy there's nothing, up to and including civilization itself."
    [Straczynski tweet, July 5, 2019]

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Some of the stories from "Becoming Superman" told in JMS' own voice. Interview with the BBC series Outlook:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/w3csz37y

Leave a comment:

• phazedout
    replied
    As somw of you know about 6 years ago I surrendered a well paying job and moved to finland to live on rougly 20% of what i used to be paid. here in finlnd thres a mandatory deposit return on plastic soda/pop bottles. Half litres get 20 cents, anything bigger gets 40 and cans get 15. Many of the undergraduate students i was with were on student grants, covering 90% of their rent and also a weekly allowance from KELA, the state social welfare department. Uniesity itself is of course, almost totally free. Thanks to subsidsed student meals a hot dinner can be had for a little under 2 euro. these well funded sutdents would often leave the emplty plastic bottles lying around the computer lab. I can rcall on more than one ocassion collecting these , especially towards the end of the month, so i could buy dinner.
    So Joe's stories of collcting bottles "dumpster diving" really brought tht hme to me.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    I've only listened to a bit of the audio book so far. I did need to speed up the reading to 1.25 or I'd've gone crazy waiting for the next word. What little I've heard, I think fits the reportorial style JMS went with. I'm waiting for one particular line before judging the emotional content of Peter's reading.

Leave a comment:

• Ubik
    replied
    It was the second readilng where I realized that very short paragraphs, usually at the end of a chapter were where the emotion was. I think anything but the strictly reportarial tone might have been just too difficult for me to read.

Question: "...comic book collection being inherited"?? You mean what his father did?
    I mean when he first receives a large stash of comics for free, I think when they stop at a gas station?

I remain a bit unsure about the tone / writing style, somehow I miss something like a hook or a personal connection to the characters. I still feel very divorced from the narrative. Might be the audiobook experience. I must admit I am fairly new to audiobooks, I rend to read, but I was gifted the audiobook. I think it is improving as it goes.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    It was the second readilng where I realized that very short paragraphs, usually at the end of a chapter were where the emotion was. I think anything but the strictly reportarial tone might have been just too difficult for me to read.

Question: "...comic book collection being inherited"?? You mean what his father did?

Leave a comment:

• Ubik
    replied
    Persevering with this, but getting a bit tired of the dry tone and the childhood misery, which is piled on very thickly and not in a particularly engaging way. I think the journalistic tone makes it feel very disengaged and therefore hard to get emotionally involved with anyone's plight.

Edit: I just got to the comic book collection being inherited, and this seems to have improved the tempo and actually has personal and emotional focus.
    Last edited by Ubik; 09-22-2019, 07:17 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    JMS has added more photos to his Instagram page, some of his family and places featured in "Becoming Superman":
    https://www.instagram.com/becomingsu...lq98QiGSbUNbho

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Nothing too spoilery in this interview but putting it here for safety.
    https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/writing-superficially-is-easy-an-interview-with-j-michael-straczynski/

What mattered to me in the telling was to illustrate that we have choices about how we react to the things that happen to us, that we can choose differently than others would have us choose, and that we can break the cycle of violence or abuse or alcoholism by taking responsibility for ourselves instead of blaming others or indulging in victimhood.

Sounds familiar!

Leave a comment:

• nottenst
    replied
    The chapter about writing Spider-Man and doing the 9/11 story was powerful.

Leave a comment:

• nottenst
    replied
    Very cool!! It's interesting to see how aware JMS is of his fans. A lady I met after the event at the Comic-Con Museum appearance was shocked to have him tell her that he recognized her name from his Twitter feed. Did you happen to introduce yourself to him at the P&P bookstore event?
    No, I probably could have said something before launching into my question, but it really didn't occur to me.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Very cool!! It's interesting to see how aware JMS is of his fans. A lady I met after the event at the Comic-Con Museum appearance was shocked to have him tell her that he recognized her name from his Twitter feed. Did you happen to introduce yourself to him at the P&P bookstore event?

Leave a comment:

• nottenst
    replied
    Just finished the book. The Selah chapter material about the B5 actors was brutal even though I had read most of it before in one form or another. Just a very impressive book and I was compelled to keep on coming back to it even though some of it was hard to read about.

I tweeted a quick note about finishing it and for the first time was retweeted by JMS (first time he reacted to anything I @'d him actually). He might be doing it for everyone who comments on his autobiography, but it still gives me a thrill.
    Last edited by nottenst; 09-07-2019, 09:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• babylonlurker
    replied

I've wondered a little if Wolgang's father's fate wasn't wish-fulfillment... Sure couldn't blame JMS for that!
    No, we could not.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Originally posted by babylonlurker View Post

Yes, JMS has said earlier that his own father is the "model" for Wolfgangs father.
    Sense8 is very much worth the watch.
    I've wondered a little if Wolgang's father's fate wasn't wish-fulfillment... Sure couldn't blame JMS for that!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X