"Becoming Superman" JMS autobiography - SPOILERS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jan View Post
    It was the second readilng where I realized that very short paragraphs, usually at the end of a chapter were where the emotion was. I think anything but the strictly reportarial tone might have been just too difficult for me to read.

Question: "...comic book collection being inherited"?? You mean what his father did?
    I mean when he first receives a large stash of comics for free, I think when they stop at a gas station?

I remain a bit unsure about the tone / writing style, somehow I miss something like a hook or a personal connection to the characters. I still feel very divorced from the narrative. Might be the audiobook experience. I must admit I am fairly new to audiobooks, I rend to read, but I was gifted the audiobook. I think it is improving as it goes.
    Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

I've only listened to a bit of the audio book so far. I did need to speed up the reading to 1.25 or I'd've gone crazy waiting for the next word. What little I've heard, I think fits the reportorial style JMS went with. I'm waiting for one particular line before judging the emotional content of Peter's reading.
      "Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017

Comment

As somw of you know about 6 years ago I surrendered a well paying job and moved to finland to live on rougly 20% of what i used to be paid. here in finlnd thres a mandatory deposit return on plastic soda/pop bottles. Half litres get 20 cents, anything bigger gets 40 and cans get 15. Many of the undergraduate students i was with were on student grants, covering 90% of their rent and also a weekly allowance from KELA, the state social welfare department. Uniesity itself is of course, almost totally free. Thanks to subsidsed student meals a hot dinner can be had for a little under 2 euro. these well funded sutdents would often leave the emplty plastic bottles lying around the computer lab. I can rcall on more than one ocassion collecting these , especially towards the end of the month, so i could buy dinner.
        So Joe's stories of collcting bottles "dumpster diving" really brought tht hme to me.
        "There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "

Comment

Some of the stories from "Becoming Superman" told in JMS' own voice. Interview with the BBC series Outlook:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/w3csz37y
          "Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
            Some of the stories from "Becoming Superman" told in JMS' own voice. Interview with the BBC series Outlook:
            https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/w3csz37y

Great!
            Thank You, Jan

--
            "Without empathy there's nothing, up to and including civilization itself."
            [Straczynski tweet, July 5, 2019]

Comment

A discussion about the autobiography on the Babylon Podcast. Some spoilers in the 'cast.
              https://www.babylonpodcast.com/2019/...FWOEQlwr5XQsYk

Comment

Working...
              X