No announcement yet.

"Becoming Superman" JMS autobiography - SPOILERS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm only about halfway through it, but this podcast is pretty good. Folks who wish they could go to cons and experience JMS talking about the book will want to give it a listen.

https://theroarbots.com/gbbp-222-j-michael-straczynski/
    "Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017

Comment

Holy crap that was intense. Some of these stories I'd head over the years of following him on-line and the few appearences I saw him at over the years. I had no idea he's written a screenplay about Houdin and Arthus Conan-Doyle. Does anyone know what happened with that? I'm a life long Houdini nut and would love to see Joe's take on that.

His family life was just horrific, and I've got no idea how he survived something that would've killed or seriously disabled (Physically, mentally and emtionally) so many people including myself.

I did find the last bit (about the author) kind of pointless considering we just read a whole book about the author (I guess it can serve as a TLDR about the book).

I need to process this one for a while.
      All generalizations are false, including this one.

Comment

Originally posted by AstroBoy View Post
        Holy crap that was intense.
        <snip>
        I need to process this one for a while.
        Yeah, there were a number of times when I needed to put it down for a while because of the intensity.

Even so, I don't think I realized until my second reading how much emotion he'd put in single sentence paragraphs sometimes. That's where the reportarial style would be momentarily broken and the real JMS would come out. For example, the reaction to learning that Sophia had done to Charles what she attempted with little Joe.

"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017

Comment

It starts with JMS scouting locations for Sense8. I had watched a couple of episodes, but had been busy with other things. So, I continued and tonight saw a scene with young Wolfgang and his father. I guess part if that scene might have been Joe and his father.

Comment

Originally posted by nottenst View Post
            It starts with JMS scouting locations for Sense8. I had watched a couple of episodes, but had been busy with other things. So, I continued and tonight saw a scene with young Wolfgang and his father. I guess part if that scene might have been Joe and his father.
            Yes, JMS has said earlier that his own father is the "model" for Wolfgangs father.
            Sense8 is very much worth the watch.
            Jan from Denmark

My blog :

http://www.babylonlurker.dk

"Our thoughts form the Universe - they *always* matter"

Comment

Originally posted by babylonlurker View Post

Yes, JMS has said earlier that his own father is the "model" for Wolfgangs father.
              Sense8 is very much worth the watch.
              I've wondered a little if Wolgang's father's fate wasn't wish-fulfillment... Sure couldn't blame JMS for that!

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post

I've wondered a little if Wolgang's father's fate wasn't wish-fulfillment... Sure couldn't blame JMS for that!
                No, we could not.
                Jan from Denmark

My blog :

http://www.babylonlurker.dk

"Our thoughts form the Universe - they *always* matter"

Comment

Just finished the book. The Selah chapter material about the B5 actors was brutal even though I had read most of it before in one form or another. Just a very impressive book and I was compelled to keep on coming back to it even though some of it was hard to read about.

I tweeted a quick note about finishing it and for the first time was retweeted by JMS (first time he reacted to anything I @'d him actually). He might be doing it for everyone who comments on his autobiography, but it still gives me a thrill.
                  Last edited by nottenst; 09-07-2019, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Very cool!! It's interesting to see how aware JMS is of his fans. A lady I met after the event at the Comic-Con Museum appearance was shocked to have him tell her that he recognized her name from his Twitter feed. Did you happen to introduce yourself to him at the P&P bookstore event?

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
                      Very cool!! It's interesting to see how aware JMS is of his fans. A lady I met after the event at the Comic-Con Museum appearance was shocked to have him tell her that he recognized her name from his Twitter feed. Did you happen to introduce yourself to him at the P&P bookstore event?
                      No, I probably could have said something before launching into my question, but it really didn't occur to me.

Comment

The chapter about writing Spider-Man and doing the 9/11 story was powerful.

Comment

Nothing too spoilery in this interview but putting it here for safety.
                          https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/writing-superficially-is-easy-an-interview-with-j-michael-straczynski/

What mattered to me in the telling was to illustrate that we have choices about how we react to the things that happen to us, that we can choose differently than others would have us choose, and that we can break the cycle of violence or abuse or alcoholism by taking responsibility for ourselves instead of blaming others or indulging in victimhood.

Sounds familiar!

Comment

Working...
                          X