Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Becoming Superman" JMS autobiography - SPOILERS

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • "Becoming Superman" JMS autobiography - SPOILERS

    JMS wrote a long post/tweet thread last night giving some details of what will be found in his autobiography.

    (wanted to post it in it's entirety but the punctuation glitch is in full force this morning.
    "Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017

  • #2
    That series of tweets definitely gives you a good idea of what is in the biography beyond what most of us already knew and expected to see.
    Webmaster
    SFTV.org
    B520 ( http://www.azsf.net/b520 )

    Comment


    • #3
      If you get the audiobook, although Peter does read in his natural voice, he does a little "Mr. Garibaldi" near the beginning. The audio intro is fun. Wow this is a rough childhood. I'm just listening to the part where Joe talks about how he became such a night person because he would turn on the stove to keep warm and need to stay awake so he wouldn't get caught so he would sleep in the daytime. It's interesting to hear how such early experiences can shape later behaviors. I find I need to take a good break between chapters; lots of intensity in this story!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by JoeD80 View Post
        If you get the audiobook, although Peter does read in his natural voice, he does a little "Mr. Garibaldi" near the beginning. The audio intro is fun. Wow this is a rough childhood. I'm just listening to the part where Joe talks about how he became such a night person because he would turn on the stove to keep warm and need to stay awake so he wouldn't get caught so he would sleep in the daytime. It's interesting to hear how such early experiences can shape later behaviors. I find I need to take a good break between chapters; lots of intensity in this story!
        How did you get that? My pre-orders says it won't ship until the end of August.. I'd like it sooner if possible. LOL
        Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Looney View Post

          How did you get that? My pre-orders says it won't ship until the end of August.. I'd like it sooner if possible. LOL
          Depends on what format audiobook you get. The CDs won't be shipping until August but the Audible format is available now.
          "Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017

          Comment


          • #6
            That's not cool. LOL

            Did everyone get the B5Books update on ordering autograph plates from JMS directly?
            Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Looney View Post
              That's not cool. LOL

              Did everyone get the B5Books update on ordering autograph plates from JMS directly?
              Good point. Here's JMS' post about it. Main points:
              • Autographed bookplate - $5 each plus $2 shipping anywhere for as many ordered
              • Personalized bookplate - $10 each plus $2 shipping anywhere for as many ordered - INCLUDE personalization wanted or the first name of the account sending payment will be used.
              • Paypal total to paypal.me/straczynski​​​​​​​
              • BE SURE TO SEND YOUR ADDRESS!! It will not be sent automatically.
              "Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Looney View Post

                How did you get that? My pre-orders says it won't ship until the end of August.. I'd like it sooner if possible. LOL
                I did the download from Apple Books.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Jan View Post
                  BE SURE TO SEND YOUR ADDRESS!! It will not be sent automatically.
                  Well then I am screwed because I bought two and added no address to the note, but I've never made a Paypal payment that my address wasn't included. It has my address listed in the "Ship To" section on my order details in Paypal. I didn't even remotely think it wouldn't send my address.
                  Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Looney View Post

                    Well then I am screwed because I bought two and added no address to the note, but I've never made a Paypal payment that my address wasn't included. It has my address listed in the "Ship To" section on my order details in Paypal. I didn't even remotely think it wouldn't send my address.
                    It's not a purchase like an Ebay transaction. Send a note to the email that was the recipient and they should be able to match it up.
                    "Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Yeah I sent a message, but have yet to receive a reply. I hope Jason Davis is somehow involved with this and recognizes my name or email.
                      Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Got the audiobook. Must admit I kinda tuned out after about 20 mins, so I need to start again. I find it a tad dry so far.
                        Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

                        Kosh: Good!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Ubik View Post
                          Got the audiobook. Must admit I kinda tuned out after about 20 mins, so I need to start again. I find it a tad dry so far.
                          I was complaining to a friend that I don't care for audio books because they're so *slow*. She taught me how to increase the speed and it's much better. But Peter's using a fairly flat 'reportorial' tone which matches how it's written so that may have something to do with it.
                          "Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            He does have kind of an NPR narrator sound. I liked it. He does put in emotions here and there but it is mostly a steady slow tone which might not be for everybody. Finished it yesterday.




                            On the content some random thoughts;




                            I had heard some of the stories; the whole overarching thread about his family was all very new and intense. I knew he did not get along with his family but I did not realize the whole background there. Definitely worth the whole autobiography.




                            Some interesting comments on the B5 cast members who have passed away and connections to his own backgrounds. This was the most I had heard about Michael O Hare situation on the show.




                            Lots of fun details about how he got his early jobs. I always wondered why the scriptwriting book was published before he sold any scripts! And I once saw an old bibliography of his that said he wrote a feature film early on; makes sense now that he kept waiting for the paycheck but they would never produce it.




                            I knew there had been alcoholism in his family but I did not expect the stories of sexual abuse; those were the hardest parts for me to listen to.




                            Also did not realize how close he came to being broke again before Changeling got sold! Wow!




                            The title makes even more sense when you hear the later parts around that period in his life. A bit more than just being a Superman fan.




                            Also was good to hear some more details about his and Kathryn divorce. Sometimes people make much better friends!




                            Hoped for a bit more on Jeremiah and Sense8 but there is lots worth it in here. I will write more later.



                            Last edited by JoeD80; 07-28-2019, 06:45 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by JoeD80 View Post
                              The title makes even more sense when you hear the later parts around that period in his life. A bit more than just being a Superman fan.
                              Yes, I've had 'discussions' with a few people online who claimed (without reading the book, of course) that the title was only to cash in on his having written for Superman. But it's so much more than that. I'll admit that at first I wasn't thrilled with the title but after reading the book, I can't think of a more fitting one.

                              I wonder just how relieved he was to discover that he's unlikely to be any sort of relation to Charles' family!

                              Anybody else notice that his sister Lorraine is conspicuously absent?

                              "Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X