Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've also read (and spoken to author friends) who say that amazon's kindle pricing is high because these days, fewer people buy physical books, with commuting and travel and so on, the real sales point is kindle, not hard copy. As a result they will price the kindle high and discount the physical copy as kindle doesn't take up warehouse sapce. They then claim the kindle price is "set by pulisher". The authors I know say this is utter bullhockey.
    "There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "

Comment

And another return to my Amazon Audio Book CD Set fiasco. I got a notification from Amazon last night warning me my return window on the original broken set was closing. I returned it and 2 of the other broken Sets on August 30TH. So I had to make yet another phone call because my Amazon account Chat function is locked to the chat session I had on the 6TH and won't let me end it to start a new session. Thankfully the Rep I spoke with told me they would close the return. It makes no sense. I sent that back on the 30TH and they should have known about it the second the box was scanned by UPS.
      Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Comment

In addition to tonight's appearance in San Diego's Mysteriaous Galaxy Bookstore, there's another announcement:

Southwestern College - Chula Vista, CA - Nov. 7, 2019 .

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/j-micha...ts-72999739185

"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017

Comment

Don't know if the days might be expanded but JMS is showing as a Literary Guest at New York Comic-Con on Thursday, Oct. 3.

https://www.newyorkcomiccon.com/Guests/Literary-Guests/

"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
            Don't know if the days might be expanded but JMS is showing as a Literary Guest at New York Comic-Con on Thursday, Oct. 3.

https://www.newyorkcomiccon.com/Guests/Literary-Guests/
            No, he's not! I asked if there might be more days and he says that a conflict has come up and he won't be able to make it at all.

J. Michael Straczynski

@straczynski
            ยท
            9h
            I was only scheduled to be at NYCC for the one day, and the one panel, and a conflict just came up that I can't get around so I've had to let them know I won't be able to attend. Next time for sure.

Comment

The video from JMS' appearance at the Politics and Prose bookstore is up. JMS said:

For those who couldn't make it to my talk at Politics and Prose in DC, the video is now available. Only downside is you can hear the legit terror in my voice given prior speakers. I'm rarely this nervous.
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=hyt4Og0hc08

Comment

Putting this here so I don't lose the link. Might come in handy looking up other people of interest for con appearances.

https://comiconomicon.com/guest/1391...el_Straczynski

Comment

JMS got an award from his high school and linked to this video from the event. The sound is pretty bad but what I could hear was interesting. Still trying to figure out what he announced toward the end that caused a fair bit of excitement.
                  https://www.facebook.com/ChulaVistaH...tI5yvVwJyt1Der

Comment

JMS got an award from his high school and linked to this video from the event. The sound is pretty bad but what I could hear was interesting. Still trying to figure out what he announced toward the end that caused a fair bit of excitement.
                    https://www.facebook.com/ChulaVistaH...tI5yvVwJyt1Der
                    He's adding a three part prize to a raffle they are holding. Winner will go to his home for dinner, get a signed Sense8 script, and the third part (the one that got the biggest reaction) was he'd name a character in one of those AWA comics after the winner as well.
                    Last edited by Triple F; 11-10-2019, 06:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Triple F View Post

He's adding a three part prize to a raffle they are holding. Winner will go to his home for dinner, get a signed Sense8 script, and the third part (the one that got the biggest reaction) was he'd name a character in one of those AWA comics after the winner as well.
                      Thanks. I'm betting those all sold a bunch of raffle tickets. I remember him donating a signed Sleeping in Light script for the raffle at the high school comic con he attended/supported uite a while ago.

Comment

Galaxycon Louisville had put their schedule out but so far there's only one panel with JMS listed. A Behind the Scenes of B5 with Peter David. Which I can see being a lot of fun but I'd be amazed if there's no spotlight or Becoming Superman panel. I've tweeted to ask.

Comment

Here I am in Louisville. JMS had a Worldbuilding panel with Keith DiCandidio and another author whose name I don't recall. It was pretty interesting, with anecdotes about things each had run into as they wrote.

Today, instead of the B5 panel with Peter David, JMS tweeted that, with PADs permission, it'll now be a spotlight where JMS discusses "Becoming Superman", "Sense8" and other things. Just my luck, since there wasn't a spotlight panel planned, I didn't bring my little recorder. BUT through the magic of tech, I've downloaded an app onto my phone which looks like it'll do. Stay tuned...

Comment

Here I am in Louisville. ... Stay tuned.
                            Yes, we stay!

Some interrogation about the modern fantasy series in progress?

If so, using my psi-capabilties to reveal jms answer: "So far I can't tell you anything other, I told before."

B5-Stefan

--
                            Delenn: "If the universe puts a mystery in front of us as a gift, politeness requires that we at least try and solve it."
                            [Babylon5, Atonement]

Comment

Originally posted by B5-Stefan View Post

Yes, we stay!

Some interrogation about the modern fantasy series in progress?

If so, using my psi-capabilties to reveal jms answer: "So far I can't tell you anything other, I told before."

B5-Stefan
                              Yes, I did ask! It's meant to deconstruct the fantasy genre. No, he wouldn't give a title. Sigh. But I did try!!

He told a great story about Harlan Ellison (which is in his book). Also, the name of the novel he has coming out next year is "Together We Will Go" (not sure if there should have punctuation in there). It's written in a non-linear epistolary format and focuses on an issue of controversy which he says he expects will have folks coming after him from all sides.

My second question was about writing from a female perspective and he mentioned that he's got a spec project in the works now that's from a female perspective and that he thinks the time for such is much better now than it has been in the past.

Comment

My second question was about writing from a female perspective and he mentioned that he's got a spec project in the works now that's from a female perspective and that he thinks the time for such is much better now than it has been in the past.
                                Anyone wanting a masterclass in this should read Ursula K Le Guin's Earthsea books where she flips the entire thing on it's head by having a female perspective in the fourth book 'Tehanu'. I'm reading these for the first time, having devoured most of her SF stuff, and she remains such a powerful writer, so ahead of her time. She takes a male dominated genre and asks some really difficult questions by flipping the perspective in the fourth book. She concedes that it took her some time to be able to make this switch as the preceding books abide by most of the fantasy standards. Always interested to see people do convincing female leads and delve into what that actually means.
                                Last edited by Ubik; 11-25-2019, 06:43 AM.
                                Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

Working...
                                X