One Word

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you , both of you.

So would I be correct in saying that you believe that in a JMS Trek the characters would basically develop over time. Like Londos journey from baffoon to , I dunno, the tortured emporor? Where as traditional Trek characters tend to be the same people they were from start to finish. So, are you sort of saying that Kirk and co. had that bond from start to finish,we never saw why and it never changed (well it might have been tested during an episode, but by the end all is well again), and there for uninteresting. Where as a JMS effort would both explain it, but also test it?

Anyway, I think I understand what you mean, all I need to do now is find out what the hell everyone else uses the damn word for

Me and sarcasm:
    Actually I dont think I am sarcastic. I think I'm oh so funny and whitty. Problem is, while Im sat here chucking away to my self at what I say or type, the rest of the planet tends to label me sarcastic, worse still pig ignorant! So, I tend to prempt thinks with the lesser of the 2 evils: sarcasm. Then I fall in to the trap of people thinking Im being sarcastic, when actually im being serious. Again, I find it best to be totally clear. (I think I might have been over influenced by a chap by the name of Edmond Blackadder.)

So, my covering comments were more an acknowlegement of my issues, rather then a false assumption about any one elses.
    AC

Something New:
    Ice Planet

Comment

Originally posted by alan_cx
      So would I be correct in saying that you believe that in a JMS Trek the characters would basically develop over time. Like Londos journey from baffoon to , I dunno, the tortured emporor? Where as traditional Trek characters tend to be the same people they were from start to finish. So, are you sort of saying that Kirk and co. had that bond from start to finish,we never saw why and it never changed (well it might have been tested during an episode, but by the end all is well again), and there for uninteresting. Where as a JMS effort would both explain it, but also test it?
      I wouldn't go so far as to say it was uninteresting, just not as interesting as it could have been. After all, that bond/friendship/dynamic has been the ongoing subject of novels and fanfic for 4 decades now. That's pretty amazing.

What would JMS do? I don't know but I wish we'd get the opportunity to find out! For instance, any bond between McCoy and Spock seemed to stem only because of their bond with Kirk. At times there was almost an animosity on McCoy's part when he commented on Spock's lack of emotion. JMS might not have shown us what in McCoy's past might have sparked that, but I'd be willing to bet that we'd be seeing stories where it was dealt with.

Jan
      "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Working...
      X