Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SmileOfTheShadow
    replied
    Thanks for bringing this to my attention Jan! I look forward to going now I'm excited to see Fiona Avery and Anne McCaffrey.

Leave a comment:

• NotSoWize
    replied
    Science Fiction publishing does seem to be very ill right now. The vast majority of writers and readers seem to be hooked up with Fantasy side of SF these days. I would guess that the total number of books being published/sold these days in the SF/Fantasy field are not down that far from back in 70's-80's, the percentages have just reversed to where the Science Fiction side is now far behind the Fantasy side of the equation. I remember back in the late 70's when the Thomas Covenant and Shannara novels were the first fantasy novels to really sell big numbers since pretty much The Lord of the Rings.

How things have changed over the past few decades.

Leave a comment:

• grumbler
    replied
    Originally posted by phazedout
    On a (faintly) related note (hey it's a con, close enough) is anyone on this board going to Discworld this year?
    Is that the con where they have the floor squares that light up, and the twirling silver balls up in the air that reflect the light?

Leave a comment:

• Spoo Junky
    replied
    I love readiing books. My parents had to get a library card for me as a kid because I'd read faster than they could buy. Now I have to buy books because the library in my town is very limited. I once went there to take out a book, but all three of them were on loan

Leave a comment:

• AmyG
    replied
    Print isn't dead, but it is very ill. The backlists of the big publishers have been sliced down to nearly nothing, because nobody reads anymore. It's a crime, truly.

And you sure can't take a computer monitor to bed with you to read before going to sleep.
    Actually, I take the laptop with me to bed quite often. If there's something really long, like a news story that I want to read, I'll just prop it on top of me and read away! It's only inconvenient if I'm really trying to fall asleep and I start doing newsgroups or something, because I can't type in that position and have to sit up. But if all I'm doing is reading, this tiny iBook is lighter than a standard hardcover!

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    I'm with you, Karen. I hate reading stories or books via computer. And you sure can't take a computer monitor to bed with you to read before going to sleep.

Jan

Leave a comment:

• Karen
    replied
    If print was truly dead, then I sincerely doubt we'd have publishers printing all these new books. Print won't die until there's no money to be made from it. I, personally, never read fiction on the web. I love books and reading on the computer just irritates me. (Of course, I have to get my news from the internet so I can get the whole story)

I've been to a Worldcon in the Netherlands, and it's such an incredible experience.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Originally posted by LessonInMachismo
    Well, sci-fi print wasn't dead in 1986, but it is now.
    Why do you say so? And do you differentiate between print and text SF?

Jan

Leave a comment:

• Dr Maturin
    replied
    Originally posted by frulad
    Thank you very much Egon Spengler. How's your collection of molds, spores and fungi?
    Well, sci-fi print wasn't dead in 1986, but it is now.

Leave a comment:

• frulad
    replied
    Originally posted by LessonInMachismo
    Print is dead.
    Thank you very much Egon Spengler. How's your collection of molds, spores and fungi?

Leave a comment:

• phazedout
    replied
    On a (faintly) related note (hey it's a con, close enough) is anyone on this board going to Discworld this year?
    Phaze
    on the "my first ever convention, ah the joys of living in Ireland" ID

Leave a comment:

• AmyG
    replied
    To be fair to LessonInMachismo, WorldCon has long been known as the premiere literary con. I worked in book publishing back in the 80s, and my best friend has been a prominent sf editor in publishing for several decades, and that's the con of note for people in the book biz. Kind of like PhilCon in that respect. It doesn't matter how much media programming they add; to most people who have been con-goers for a long time, it's still mainly a literary con. I guess reputations are hard to shake!

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Cool, which ones? I missed you at SDCC, mainly because I never found the mezzanine where the fan tables were.

Jan

Leave a comment:

• sftv
    replied
    WorldCon

I'll be there. I'm even on a handful of panels.

Lee

Leave a comment:

• Dr Maturin
    replied
    That's quite the schedule.

WHAT I DO WHEN I SHOULD BE WRITING
    For me, that'd be "What I should be doing when I'm writing."

Leave a comment:

Working...
X