X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shadow-Sentient
    replied
    Originally posted by Stunning_in_Purple
    The male equivalent of a Mary Sue is Gary Stu and they are equally as annoying.

As for what happens with Ivanova and Cole later on...I know...I was making a...hmmm...what do you call those things? Oh yes! A JOKE! *shakes head* Some people.
    Um yeah ... I got it. One of these days I'll learn to type my vocal inflection into my written statements ... until then I'll just be unfunny

Leave a comment:

• Stunning_in_Purple
    replied
    The male equivalent of a Mary Sue is Gary Stu and they are equally as annoying.

As for what happens with Ivanova and Cole later on...I know...I was making a...hmmm...what do you call those things? Oh yes! A JOKE! *shakes head* Some people.

Leave a comment:

• Shadow-Sentient
    replied
    You know, it does explain why Ivanova and Cole could never get anything off the ground. She was shacking up with gay Psi-corps brainwashees and he was secretly gay....
    I think you hit the nail on the proverbial purple head

Leave a comment:

• AmyG
    replied
    I've always heard male versions called "Mary Sue" as well - like, "Wesley Crusher was the Great Bird of the Galaxy's Mary Sue character."

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Er...you spelled that wrong. And no, I meant there's an equivalent male-type 'Mary-Sue' fanfic name.

Jan
    Hmmm....wonder if the Narn Bat Squad visits here?

Leave a comment:

• frulad
    replied
    Originally posted by Jan
    Another common kind of fan fiction or fanfic is the 'Mary Sue' story where a fan writes a story that features a romanticised version of herself as the primary interest of her protagonist. There's a male equivalent but I can't recall it at the moment.

Jan
    Masterbating.

I'll get my coat....

Leave a comment:

• Andrew_Swallow
    replied
    Guessing.

In man & woman romance the reader is assumed to become one of the characters and lusts over the other one. Alternatively the reader becomes a rival to one of the characters and lusts after the other.

In same sex romance the reader can lust both characters, no rival.

Leave a comment:

• Dr Maturin
    replied
    Yeah, teenaged girls HERE, too, like that man on man stuff, curiously.

Leave a comment:

• The Puzzled Pak'Ma'Ra
    replied
    ... Thanks for the info, guys. Just curious was all.

... Fanfic stuff is huge here (Japan), mostly comic books. "Boys Love" adaptions of Harry Potter (though Potter is hard to find), and all the popular Japanese manga are sold on the shelves of book stores here. I've made a bit of cash on the side selling this stuff to Americans and Europeans on E-Bay.

... At first I thought it was some kind of "Popular with the Gay men" thing, but the folks reading this stuff are mostly teenage girls. Odd, I thought, but to each his (her) own.

... I've not been here for quite a while - Glad to see you're all still here.

Leave a comment:

• Whitewashed
    replied
    You know, it does explain why Ivanova and Cole could never get anything off the ground. She was shacking up with gay Psi-corps brainwashees and he was secretly gay....
    (highlight to read spoilers for 'Space, Time and the Incurable Romantic)
    You're wrong, they did. They lived happily together on a distant planet after Cole was defrozen and had his life energy restored and he created a clone of Ivanova with her personality and memories up til the White Star accident.

EDIT: Spoiler tags added --Jan
    Last edited by Jan; 07-15-2006, 05:37 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    As Phaze said, the " / " or "slash" is used to denote a particular relationship or couple. It's usual use is to denote a typ of fanfiction. In this case, the statement about it being a slash site meant that it'd be a home for Susan/Talia fanfiction.

Another common kind of fan fiction or fanfic is the 'Mary Sue' story where a fan writes a story that features a romanticised version of herself as the primary interest of her protagonist. There's a male equivalent but I can't recall it at the moment.

Jan

Leave a comment:

• phazedout
    replied
    the literal transaltion would be "/" but it's genreally used to imply a relationship between two people. For example John slash delenn (written as John/Delenn) or MArcus slash Ivanova (Marcus/Ivanova).

Least that's my uderstanding of it.
    Phaze
    on the "helping out with linguistic and semantic queries" ID

Leave a comment:

• The Puzzled Pak'Ma'Ra
    replied
    ... What is "slash" ?

Leave a comment:

• Stunning_in_Purple
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Shadow-Sentient
    replied
    Does this mean someone will devote a site to the on-screen relationship between the young married couple? Franklin and Cole that is ...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X