Anyone going to see JMS this weekend?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by B5_Obsessed
    I believe there's an older actor or comedian named Jan Murray.
    Rat Pack era stuff.
    Indeed. In fact, I just now read that he died yesterday. He'd hosted a game show called 'Treasure Hunt' and did many guest acting spots. He was 89.

Jan
    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Originally posted by B5_Obsessed
      I believe there's an older actor or comedian named Jan Murray.
      Rat Pack era stuff.

Mark Evanier just posted to his site that Jan Murray just passed away. Anyone who is interested in reading about it: http://www.newsfromme.com/

Comment

I heard about this on the radio and was aghast at the coincidence.

Also:

Jan Murray was born Murray Janofsky in New York
        Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

Originally posted by Jan
          Yes, I'm female. And I said 17,755 instead of 17,555 (actually 17,558 now). But I was just teasing him anyhow. If he catches me in the mistake he can gig me in San Diego. (And the one male Jan I knew pronounced his name Yon)

San Diego Comic Con is 7/20-24 with preview night on the 19th. I'll be there for the entire thing. Sheesh, only 16 days from now!

Jan
          wow - didn't know that there are female sci-fi maniacs existing (that was a compliment by the way ^^) - thought that's a paradox

cool - can't wait to get new info ^^

Comment

Thanks for the compliment! And, we do exist, though I think that B5 brought out a larger number than many shows have done in the past. You should have been around at the Philly con last year when no fewer than *5* of us female sorts from the moderated newsgroup met up again (the first time was at the Hawthorne con).

Originally posted by whyruss
            cool - can't wait to get new info ^^
            Have laptop, will travel. You'll hear whatever news there is once I get back to my hotel room.

Jan
            "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Originally posted by Whyruss
              wow - didn't know that there are female sci-fi maniacs existing ... thought that's a paradox
              Nope, definitely not ... I am married to one!

The Optimist: The glass is half full
              The Pessimist: The glass is half empty
              The Engineer: The glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Comment

Some speculation on the new B5 stuff after listening to the recordings from Heros too many times, trying to tease all the clues out!

It features real actors (JMS says as much)
                It's not a B5 theatrical movie (JMS says as much)
                There may be a series of them. One of them may be about what happens to Lennier. (JMS says as much)
                It seems to be being funded completely by WB (JMS Says as much)
                It's not the Telepath War (JMS says he has no plans to tackle it yet)

Conjecture time...

WB have just set up a new partnership to develop straight to DVD projects...

http://stage.variety.com/article/VR1...goryid=13&cs=1

With B5s strong DVD sales, I can't imagine this being anything other than a straight to DVD B5 movie... Hopefully more than one, and hopefully it's got a bit of a higher budget than the previous ones. It would be nice to actually see some B5 stuff that's not filmed in a studio. Hopefully it will be filmed in hidef too.

Comment

Hi ljg, welcome aboard.

The only issue I have with your conjecture is that I thought JMS said he didn't want to do a movie. Or maybe he said big movie? I'm not certain and my recorder ate my tape.

At any rate, SDCC preview night is two weeks from today so hopefully we'll find out for sure then.

Jan

Comment

Originally posted by Jan
                    Hi ljg, welcome aboard.

The only issue I have with your conjecture is that I thought JMS said he didn't want to do a movie. Or maybe he said big movie? I'm not certain and my recorder ate my tape.

At any rate, SDCC preview night is two weeks from today so hopefully we'll find out for sure then.

Jan
                    On the podcast recording JMS says he doesn't want to do a big B5 movie but something smaller and more interesting....

Les

Comment

said podcast recording has been pulled at JMS's own request. PErhaps we should avoid speculation until JMS makes the announcement himself, wouldn't want to queer the field.

Phaze
                      on the "final editing on podcast one taking place tonight" ID
                      "There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "

Comment

And remember all, there are certain B5 stories that simply cannot be told anymore, now that neither G'Kar nor Franklin can be written into anything featuring live actors.

I snagged the audio from the con before it was removed, and it was very clear from JMS's extremely labored response to the G'Kar/Lyta question that, at least speaking of G'Kar, "the character is gone."

I don't know about JMS - it sounded like he might have been holding back a sniffle or two - but I cried just hearing him say that, and hearing the emotion in his voice.

Comment

Originally posted by phazedout
                          said podcast recording has been pulled at JMS's own request. PErhaps we should avoid speculation until JMS makes the announcement himself, wouldn't want to queer the field.

Phaze
                          on the "final editing on podcast one taking place tonight" ID
                          Man! I missed it.
                          Milkman
                          www.mhoc.net

Comment

Don't feel so bad Milkman, I missed it too, and I was the one that mentioned it here. Guess if you weren't there, then you weren't meant to hear it
                            Phaze
                            on the "podcast one now up on website, need to edit xml feed though"
                            "There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "

Comment

The thing is, the person who posted the recordings without editing out the items JMS asked to have kept off the nets broke a trust. JMS has shared confidential information with con guests many times over the years and seldom has that trust been broken. JMS has been online for too many years not to have caught him.

Jan

Comment

Jan,

I agree with you, I was just idly speculating on what it would have been like to hear and was kinda interested in what eh said. I was thinking that if Aaron had removed the bits that JMS wanted kept confidential then the rest of the talk would have been good to listen to.

Phaze
                                on the "editing xml in work is not fun" ID

Comment

Working...
                                X