No announcement yet.

New JMS show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you started a new thread, chances are better than if you replied to an existing thread, it seems. Cheryl posted the other day that they knew there were problems but that Jay had hurt himself and was having difficulty typing.

Jan
    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jan
      If you started a new thread, chances are better than if you replied to an existing thread, it seems.
      Isn't it the other way around (that new threads take more time)?

But yeah i started new thread, although since its only my 2nd post (so its not auto-moderated) god only knows when (and if) it will appear.

Comment

Originally posted by Sigma
        Isn't it the other way around (that new threads take more time)?
        Usually, yes. But from what Cheryl said, the only things getting through right now are hand moderated posts, which new threads always are.

But yeah i started new thread, although since its only my 2nd post (so its not auto-moderated) god only knows when (and if) it will appear.
        Hopefully within a day or so.

Jan
        "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Originally posted by CeeBeeUK
          Was there ever confirmation of which show JMS will be working on?

Only at AintItCool they is speculation about JMS running a Lost spin-off.

Click here
          Hmm, that was just a forum posters statement. It holds no more weight than if I said JMS was up for a Nobel prize. Doesn't meant there won't be a spin-off or that JMS won't be doing it but it is not anything remotely reliable. As to the producers of LOST not wanting to have their show labeled as SF ? Good luck boys. You may fool the mundanes whom I suppose they were worried about, but as to SF fans, we all knew that it is speculative fiction.

Comment

The post went through fine. I hope that now when series and JMS involvement in it is announced, that he can maybe talk more about it.

Comment

And the answer is...

JMS has replied:

Title: Re: JMS will be writing ABC's "Masters of Science Fiction" series
              Author: [email protected]
              Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2006 01:23:10 +0000 (UTC)
              Message-ID: <[email protected] com>

Kristjan wrote:
              > I hope this post goes through moderating process.
              >
              > As expected, JMS will be involved in ABC's anthology series "Masters of
              > Science Fiction". Article only mentions him as writer, so maybe he is
              > not fulltime showrunner anymore.
              >
              > http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index...ory=0&id=35341

A few things here and in the link need to be clarified.

First...I've tried to post here a few times in the past, but it always
              got bounced by the software, so I've been basically hanging fire until
              it got resolved. With luck, this will get through; I'd hate to have to
              retype this all over again.

I've also been up to my ears in work, of which some points follow, and
              that has taken me a great deal off the beacon of late.

First, to the matter at hand...and just to get one error out of the
              way...Robert Sheckle's "Watchbird" was adapted by me alone; Mike
              Cassutt is adapting Varley's "Persistence of Vision." The press
              release conflated the two. (I didn't know about the release until Mike
              called me, chagrined, but I told him not to sweat it, errors happen.
              This is now in the process of being corrected.)

The anthology is a by-invitation deal, it's just me, Mike, Harlan
              Ellison, Michael Tolkin, Ray Bradbury and a couple of others who, for
              whatever bizarre reason, sombody decided would constitute the scripts
              half of the Masters equation (the other half being the original short
              story).

Last summer, I was called into a meeting with the MoSF folks and
              offered the show runner position. It would be a short order show,
              maybe 6-13 episodes, to shoot in the fall. This happened at roughly
              the same time that I placed a development deal for my own series with
              Touchstone, which would not go to the next level until the next May.
              So the timing could not have been better. I would be able to go in,
              tackle this, and be done with shooting by the time development moved
              ahead on the Touchstone series.

But it took MoSF longer than expected to close the deal with ABC, and
              now they're going to be starting production in May, which conflicts
              with the Touchstone deal. Because there are contractual limitations
              regarding what you can do or develop on show B while you're working on
              show A, if I did the former, it would prohibit me from the work and
              meetings necessary for the latter, especially since the former is in
              Vancouver and the latter is in LA. So it came down to choosing between
              a short-order gig running someone else's show, and my own series, and
              though it was a painful decision, I have to go with the Touchstone
              deal. Everybody understands the situation, and everybody's fine with
              it.

So I got the "Watchbird" script in asap, and that will be one of the
              first scripts into the production pipeline as soon as they can lock
              down a director. I may or may not be able to be up there for filming
              because the same time as they shoot *that,* we have to do
              post-production and mixing on the 20 episode radio series I'm doing for
              the CBC in Toronto, and that *has* to be finished at that time in order
              to be available for broadcast in the late spring/summer and it's a huge
              amount of work to get done, so I may have to opt to be in Toronto
              rather than Vancouver (if this keeps up I may have to change
              citizenship).

Then later in May the Touchstone deal kicks in, and that will take up a
              huge block of time. I've also been approached by a major director (one
              of the biggest in town) who wants to go in and pitch a project of mine
              at the networks for a series, and if that that goes into development
              I'm going to be up to my ass in alligators for some time...all of that
              on top of the comics work, of course.

I also just finished writing a screenplay (historical drama, very
              serious, based on a true story) that is getting some serious heat and
              name people attached to it, so we'll see where that goes as well.

Point being...with all this work on my plate of late, particularly the
              TV stuff, I've been kind of off the radar screens for a while, and may
              have to disappear from time to time over the course of the next few
              months. But I'm around....

jms

Comment

Thanks for the info Jan. But no mention of Volumn 6???????
                Joan

Comment

Well, I posted the question. Let's hope it goes through and that he answers.

Jan

Comment

He replied to my post (and quoted it), what an honor

I hope his Touchstone project goes into developement and into series, especially if one of big directors wants to be part of it. Fingers crossed.

Comment

Great news... Eventhough i didnt understand all of the jms text because my english understanding isnt so perfect.. But hey it is still good news i think

Comment

The anthology is a by-invitation deal, it's just me, Mike, Harlan Ellison, Michael Tolkin, Ray Bradbury and a couple of others who, for whatever bizarre reason, sombody decided would constitute the scripts half of the Masters equation (the other half being the original short story).
                        Somebody please explain this paragraph.
                        Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

"The anthology" refers to the TV show, Masters of Science Fiction. It's similar to the Masters of Horror anthology show that's on Showtime except for that one the director combined with the story was the big thing while for Masters of Science Fiction, it's the story combined with the writer.

Jan

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up.

It makes sense, as horror is director-driven, and science fiction is author-driven.

I'd like for them to do a multiple-installment adaptation of Starship Troopers. Hell, it'd be nice to do one installment of a really good scene from the book.
                            Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

So this is debuting soon.
                              Last edited by Dr Maturin; 07-29-2007, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LessonInMachismo View Post
                                So this is debuting soon.
                                If this is the same show as mentioned in this article, it looks in serious trouble.

Masters Of Science Fiction - Problematic

Comment

Working...
                                X