No announcement yet.

New JMS Interview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jan, A Princess of Mars is slowly limping through development as we speak, to be directed by Jon Favreau (Zathura). It was originally going to be Robert Rodriguez, but he basically had to drop out of the Director's Guild after they refused to let him co-direct Sin City with Frank Miller. Rodriguez was replaced with Kerry Conran, who had just done Sky Captain, but at some point, Conran's name was suddenly off the project, and Favreau was asked to do it, presumably on the success of Zathura. Personally I have my doubts that it will ever get done properly, simply because it's a huge project, and I don't think Paramount is willing to fork over the money it needs to be done right.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nazzaro
      Personally I have my doubts that it will ever get done properly, simply because it's a huge project, and I don't think Paramount is willing to fork over the money it needs to be done right.
      Yeah, and if it's not done *right*, that'd be worse than if it were never done at all. I wouldn't mind if Tars Tarkas doesn't look the way I've imagined him, but if it were to lose the *feel* of the books, that'd be a shame.

Ah, well...it would have taken more than an hour to tell anyway. Let's hope that the one in development can do it some justice.

Jan
      "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

And just to provoke a bit more speculation, what classic SF stories would everybody like to see adapted?
        I'd like to see "Ender's Game", the short story, not the novel, adapted. Fat chance given that there's supposed to be a movie adaptation in development hell... but it could be a good one.

Asimov's "Last Question" would be great. An adaptation of "Nightfall" would be great (the two movies "based" on that are terrible).

Heinlein's "By His Bootstraps" would be fun to see on screen.

An anthology of Fredric Brown's "short-short" stories would be a dream of mine... and maybe his "Arena" could use a true adaptation even if it has been adapted to Star Trek in the past.

James Blish's "Surface Tension" would be great too... but given that it's underwater it might be hard to do.
        Such... is the respect paid to science that the most absurd opinions may become current, provided they are expressed in language, the sound of which recalls some well-known scientific phrase
        James Clerk Maxwell (1831-79)

Comment

Montoya, I love Brown's short stories as well, but I'm not sure that most of them could be made into a one-hour TV episode without a lot of padding. Having said that, a really good adaptation of 'Arena' would go down really well.

Comment

The "Companion" show

About time someone spotted one of my posts about the "companion show".

I'm just hoping they will get things all set up so they can finally announce the damn thing and get it started.

It will likely have a different name (you know that Harlan despises the "SciFi" moniker) which should differentiate it from the Horror series, and it may not even be on Showtime, nor even SciFi.

I've talked to some of the people involved and I think it could be a neat series doing the stories with the proper respect and production values. FYI, I'm also chairing the Nebula Awards Weekend - www.sfwa.org/awards/2006 - this year, so you can probably guess who one of them is.... Some of the other people involved in the series may be attending as well.

Lee
            Webmaster
            SFTV.org
            B520 ( http://www.azsf.net/b520 )

Comment

And would that happen to be Grand Master Harlan Ellison? Seriously though, as Lee pointed out, Showtime may not necessarily be involved- I think Masters of Horror was produced by IDT and Anchor Bay if my memory serves (feel free to correct me, anybody), with Showtime signing on as the broadcaster, but they were certainly under no obligation to air all of the episodes that were produced, as their recent decision to drop the Miike episode demonstrates.

I agree with Lee, it would be great if somebody could produce a quality SF series with top-notch production values, but the argument I keep hearing year after year is that genre anthology shows don't sell. I'm not sure I agree with that, rather it's the fact that the powers-that-be don't understand the genre all that well. Witness the beautifully done 1980s Twilight Zone revival I mentioned earlier; a group of writers who knew the genre, with Harlan Ellison looking over their shoulder and keeping them honest. And then the rocket scientists at CBS decided to move the show from a viewer-friendly 10 p.m slot right into the middle of Friday night family hour at 8 p.m., thus undoing so much of the good work that had been done in terms of creating edgy, thought-provoking stories. If you haven't picked up the first season on DVD, I would recommend it without reservation, but as far as a new SF anthology, let's just hope history doesn't repeat itself.

Comment

JMS said that he finished the first script, i hope series announcement will come soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nazzaro
                  Montoya, I love Brown's short stories as well, but I'm not sure that most of them could be made into a one-hour TV episode without a lot of padding. Having said that, a really good adaptation of 'Arena' would go down really well.
                  Joe, I wasn't clear in my suggestion, I was thinking of an anthology episode of Fredric Brown's short stories within the anthology series. I agree that adapting them to one hour would require too much padding. I think that you could actually fit one short story in each "scene" and get into another short-short after each commercial break.
                  Another Brown story I'd like to see adapted is "Come and Go Mad" (another favorite of mine).

Lee, hope the series comes to happen, I look forward to that announcement.
                  Such... is the respect paid to science that the most absurd opinions may become current, provided they are expressed in language, the sound of which recalls some well-known scientific phrase

Comment

I'd like to see Asimovs "The Caves of Steel" on Big or Small screen. Would be nice... well, the Foundation would be nice, too... but I guess it would take a long lasting approach, something like... 5 Years (seasons)? *g*

PeAcE
                    greetings from austria, best known for its history and fine wine... feels like a wine cellar on a graveyard 8-)

Comment

Regarding Masters of SciFi: ( http://cynopsis.com/view_cynopsis_text.cfm?ID=1811 )
                      ABC has picked up a new sci-fi project, ordering four episodes of Masters of Science Fiction from IDT Entertainment and Industry Entertainment. An anthology series, each episode will present works of noted sci-fi authors including Ray Bradbury, Michael Tolkin and Isaac Asimov. Production is expected to begin in May, with a launch on ABC projected to some time this summer.
                      Production starts in May so it may not be the series JMS is running. Time will tell. (I hope they don't replace Invasion)

Comment

Looks like its not the JMS project. But more SciFi TV is always a good thing. At the moment no idea what the JMS project might be.

"Morris Berger, Steve Brown and John Hyde will executive-produce for IDT, as will Industry's Keith Addis, Brad Mendelsohn and Andrew Deane."

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index...ory=0&id=34727
                        Last edited by Sigma; 02-23-2006, 06:49 AM.

Comment

At least it seems to have changed from 'Masters of Sci-Fi' to 'Masters of Science Fiction' which seems to bode well for there being *somebody* involved who understands SF.

EDIT: I'm wondering about the time-line, though. According to the article:
                          IDT and Industry hope to start production on Masters of Science Fiction in Vancouver this May. The producers said they can start delivering the series to ABC by the middle of June, making a summer launch a possibility. The project is targeted to air in the 2006-07 TV season.
                          That seems like they're cutting things *awfully* close time-wise. According to JMS's old posts, they used to take 52-65 days for post-production on B5.

Jan
                          Last edited by Jan; 02-23-2006, 09:11 AM.
                          "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jan
                            At least it seems to have changed from 'Masters of Sci-Fi' to 'Masters of Science Fiction' which seems to bode well for there being *somebody* involved who understands SF.

EDIT: I'm wondering about the time-line, though. According to the article:

That seems like they're cutting things *awfully* close time-wise. According to JMS's old posts, they used to take 52-65 days for post-production on B5.

Jan

Feel free to banish me from the board in shame if this is way off, but I was peering through another websites collation of new show announcemnents and saw that Smallvile spin of Aquaman is a go for WB...

thoughts? Rabid laughter anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Sigma
                              Looks like its not the JMS project. But more SciFi TV is always a good thing. At the moment no idea what the JMS project might be.
                              More SciFi(*) on TV is not always a good thing.
                              But Science Fiction on TV, and from the Masters of the form, is a good thing...

It's Masters of Science Fiction but I fear the show is doomed to be called masters of sci-fi....
                              And I wince at that.

(*)From Wikipedia:
                              The euphonic "sci-fi", popularized by Forrest J Ackerman in 1954, but coined earlier by Robert A. Heinlein, has grown popularity and is today by far the commonest term used in the popular press, although many hardcore fans and authors continue to wince at its usage or even consider it offensive. Brian Aldiss, defending the abbreviation "SF", notes that it is flexible enough to stand for science fantasy or speculative fiction, as well as science fiction. Some detractors of the term "sci-fi" have corrupted its pronunciation to "skiffy", which itself has become a sub-genre term for poorly made science fiction. Harlan Ellison has derided the term "sci-fi" as a "hideous neologism" that "sounds like crickets fucking" a comment to which Ackerman responded by producing buttons bearing the slogan, "I love the sound of crickets making love."

Comment

Originally posted by Susitcha
                                Feel free to banish me from the board in shame if this is way off, but I was peering through another websites collation of new show announcemnents and saw that Smallvile spin of Aquaman is a go for WB...

thoughts? Rabid laughter anyone?

(If only there was a ROFL emoticon)

Comment

Working...
                                X