Concept Art at Art Show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concept Art at Art Show

The following is from a Press Release by Mango Tango Art Gallery In St Thomas, US Virgin Islands:

Art Party with St Croix's King, rock n roll, and surprise Babylon 5

St. Croix's Judith King presents eight oil-on-canvas paintings....at an Art Party at Mango Tango Gallery in St thomas, set for October 25 from 5:30 to 8:30 pm....

Gallery co-owner Smokey Pratt and John Brittain, who have teamed up for a decade under the name 2 Blue Shoes, will play original blues and rock n roll tunes from Van Morrison, Randy Newman, Tom Waits, and Bob Dylan for the evening's upbeat festivities.

Pratt and Brittain are fans of the epic sci-fi series Babylon 5. Brittain discovered award-winning writer and producer J. Michael Straczynski was auctioning the original storyboard painting of the interior of the Babylon 5 Station. Brittain bid and is now the proud owner of this detailed work of art. The gallery will showcase the original and offer prints of this phenomenal piece at the art party. For more information call 340-777-3060.

I wish all the lurkers and posters could come down to join the party (and to hear my band, of course). I really wanted to invite all of ya'll, even though the expense is a bit much for a one nighter (it always is you know). So here is the invite. But to quote Ron Popiel:"Wait, there's more"!

This is just step one. JMS made it clear that I would have the copyright, and it was his opinion that I should sell copies to defray my investment. I don't want to disagree with the Great Maker, but I want to put this into the field of "sharing" first.

After the show, I will be offering a limited number of the prints on E-bay, and the proceeds will go to the family of Richard Biggs. I would like to do this through an existing E-bayist, hopefully one who has offered Richard Biggs Auctions before, as I do not want to get an account for just that. Jan says she will help me with this.

Then, I will be offering the prints on my band's website (under construction) and payable thru PayPal. This will be an opportunity for everybody to download that (hopefully) soon-to-be-famous song "Alien Bar", which includes lyrics about "buying Londo a drink if I see him at the bar". Forgive the plug.

These are quality art prints and not a cheap litho-job. I wanted to post this with a firm price, but Smokey's wife is off island, and only she knows the cost of the reproductions. They will be in the $100- $200 range, depending on size and whether they are PhotoPrints or Giclee repros.

Our own Jan is the proud owner of the first giclee of this Concept Art, and she declares it is gorgeous (it is). I hope that this makes everybody a little happier with me for grabbing this piece off E-bay (I almost got hate mail!!). I truly believe that it should be shared, and I am going to do my best to get the best price for general distribution without compromising quality. I really must state that the reproductions are almost more vividly colorful than the original! And that 'almost' is for my own benefit. I was blown away to see the repros next to the original. I was 'almost' disappointed to be the owner of only the original!!

I wish that we were closer to everybody, and if you can't make it down we'll understand.
    John Brittain
    2blueshoes.com for free blues downloads

Wish I could be there for the party, too! Have a great time and be sure to give us a report back, okay? And take pictures!!

Originally posted by Jahkneebee
    Our own Jan is the proud owner of the first giclee of this Concept Art, and she declares it is gorgeous (it is).
    It truly is, folks. You get a real sense of the hugeness of the Station from this painting. There's the central tube car, people flying for recreation, a shuttle, rivers...even what may have been an early concept for the Fresh Air Restaurant! There are people fishing and picnicing and even a bar fight going on. In my time I've seen many posters and lithos but this Giclee reproduction gives the real feel of a painting. The stock is incredibly heavy and the colors rich and beautiful. Jahkneebee tells me that the PhotoPrint gives the colors even more vibrancy. **Many** thanks for the Giclee, Jahkneebee!!

This is just step one. JMS made it clear that I would have the copyright, and it was his opinion that I should sell copies to defray my investment. I don't want to disagree with the Great Maker, but I want to put this into the field of "sharing" first.

After the show, I will be offering a limited number of the prints on E-bay, and the proceeds will go to the family of Richard Biggs. I would like to do this through an existing E-bayist, hopefully one who has offered Richard Biggs Auctions before, as I do not want to get an account for just that. Jan says she will help me with this.
    Yes, indeed. We still have details to work out but I'm proud and happy to help with this. And just as a note to the folks who expressed 'sour grapes' about Jahkneebee winning the auction for this piece, let me note that his plans for these auctions were there from the very beginning. He'd be perfectly within his rights to simply hide the painting away but he immediately thought of a way to 'give back' for what the B5 story means to him.

Congratulations on acquiring a great piece of B5 history and thanks in advance for your plans to help Rick Biggs' family.

Jan
    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

New news from the islands on show prices.

Jane Coombs can be contacted at the Mango Tango number above for purchase of the prints available at this Tuesday's show. She is in the business of shipping art worldwide. The prices range from $60 for the 3/4 size PhotoPrints to $300 for the full-size giclees.

If this is too commercial for all of you campers, I agree. Jane has helped me a lot with this project, and deserves support. If the show is a success, it will be a great validation for B5 in general. I will not be breaking even yet, so the plug is for everybody but me.

The previous plug for "Alien Bar" by 2 Blue Shoes, now that was rampant self aggrandizement and a personal commercial advert!
      John Brittain
      2blueshoes.com for free blues downloads

Comment

Working...
      X