Reaching JMS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reaching JMS?

How are people able to get messages for JMS to respond to? The ones I see on the homepage?
    Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors... and miss.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Please read the FAQ http://jmsnews.com/forums/showthread.php?t=885

Sleeping in Light-----Darnit! Shut the Window.

Comment

Ah, much obliged. Most humble thanks.

Figures as much, I can't get there from this computer. Dumb filters.
      Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Contacting via snail mail?

Do we have a snail mail method of corresponding with JMS? I believe at one time you could send stuff to WB but I'm not sure if that's true anymore.

Brian

Comment

I don't think there is right now. When B5 was on and for a while afterward, there was a PO box where you could send him or the cast snail mail. I understand that that's been closed for a while now.

Once he's back on a TV show, perhaps one will be able to send snail mail there.

Jan
          "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Okay, joined up over there under the same nickname. The circle is now complete...
            Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Hmm... somehow I got a problem with the moderated newsgroups. My first message took a lot of time (which may be explained by the long registration process), the second one worked just fine, but now I asked a question in the new B5-scripts-topic from JMS, and the message just doesn't get posted. I originally entered my reply when there were only 2 messages, JMS', and Jan's response, and now there are already 25 messages, but no sign of my little inquiry. Why's that? Do the moderaters check posts of newcomers more carefully, thus the delay? Did my message go beyond the rim of the internet? Do they just don't like me?

Ah, and while I'm at it: How can I properly quote in there?

Comment

Originally posted by cornholio1980
                Hmm... somehow I got a problem with the moderated newsgroups. My first message took a lot of time (which may be explained by the long registration process), the second one worked just fine, but now I asked a question in the new B5-scripts-topic from JMS, and the message just doesn't get posted. I originally entered my reply when there were only 2 messages, JMS', and Jan's response, and now there are already 25 messages, but no sign of my little inquiry. Why's that? Do the moderaters check posts of newcomers more carefully, thus the delay? Did my message go beyond the rim of the internet? Do they just don't like me?
                Nah, you haven't been around over there long long enough to dislike! You're right, new posters are automatically on hand moderation for about the first 20 posts or so. There's really only Cheryl moderating these days so, yeah, sometimes there's a significant delay. And yes, posts go off into the ether at not-infrequent intervals. Often, just about the time you repost, the original will show up. Duplicated. I think it's the server's way of reminding us who's boss. If you repost, just note that you've got a previous reply floating around and everybody will understand.

Ah, and while I'm at it: How can I properly quote in there?
                Depends on what you're using. If it's Google, doesn't it automatically quote the entire post you're replying to when you use the 'Reply' link? If so, it's good to trim to just the point you're addressing. Otherwise you'll need to cut and paste unless your newsreader does something differently. On Usenet, the convention is to enclose quotes <<like this>> (an older style that some dislike a lot) or to have a > in the front of each line quoted with more >> to show different layers of quoting.

Getting through those first 20 posts is a royal pain but the regulars all understand the lag so just be patient, okay?

Jan
                "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jan
                  Nah, you haven't been around over there long long enough to dislike!
                  Only a matter of time

Originally posted by Jan
                  You're right, new posters are automatically on hand moderation for about the first 20 posts or so. There's really only Cheryl moderating these days so, yeah, sometimes there's a significant delay.
                  Thanks for the info, that would definitely explain the delay. I just started to wonder because my second message got up there pretty fast, but I guess that was just a coincidence.

Originally posted by Jan
                  And yes, posts go off into the ether at not-infrequent intervals.
                  Good to know, thanks. I just created a new word document where I will save all my messages to the newsgroup, just in case one gets lost...

Originally posted by Jan
                  Depends on what you're using. If it's Google, doesn't it automatically quote the entire post you're replying to when you use the 'Reply' link?
                  Yes, I use google, and yes, when I go to "reply" the original message is shown, but when I post my reply I do not get that nifty blue color for the quote, which I think is quite useful to further distinguish between the quoted message and the new one. So I thought I may do something wrong...

Originally posted by Jan
                  If so, it's good to trim to just the point you're addressing.
                  Thanks for the tip, but that's how I usually do it anyway

Originally posted by Jan
                  Getting through those first 20 posts is a royal pain but the regulars all understand the lag so just be patient, okay?
                  Sure! The chance of discussing with fans directly at the source, so to speak, is much to intruiging to drop outer there already just because of that small inconvenience

Thanks for your reply

Comment

Yes, I use google, and yes, when I go to "reply" the original message is shown, but when I post my reply I do not get that nifty blue color for the quote, which I think is quite useful to further distinguish between the quoted message and the new one. So I thought I may do something wrong...
                    I'm afraid I only used Google for about a week after AOL dropped newsgroups. Too hard finding new posts on the busy threads, for one. Since I spend a significant amount of time there, it made sense for me to find an alternative even if I had to pay for it. There are a number of free newsreaders out there, though, I hear.

Sure! The chance of discussing with fans directly at the source, so to speak, is much to intruiging to drop outer there already just because of that small inconvenience
                    It's fun. And really cool when JMS answers you for the first time. JMS is more active now than for a long time. I expect conversation to be lively when the script books start coming out, too.

Jan

Comment

Originally posted by Jan
                      I'm afraid I only used Google for about a week after AOL dropped newsgroups. Too hard finding new posts on the busy threads, for one.
                      Well, they may have changed something since you first try google, or maybe the program you're using is indeed more comfortable, but... when I sign on to the newsgroups, he's showing me if there are any new messages (f.e. he's writing "6 new" under a thread), and if I click on that link, he's taking me directly to the first new message. So, it works for me .

Originally posted by Jan
                      It's fun. And really cool when JMS answers you for the first time.
                      Well I just hope he doesn't get pissed because some know-it-all newbie has to poke on some possible mistakes in his latest script announcements *lol*. F.e. he wrote that the 15th volume would include an early draft of "Midnight on the firing line", but I think he meant "And the sky, full of stars", which was mentioned when he announced the script books for the first time. And he seems to have forgotten the production draft of "The Gathering" in his latest message, so I asked if he was mistaken or if the content of the free volume has changed.

BTW, kinda strange that no one else mentioned that. Am I the only one who noticed it?

Originally posted by Jan
                      JMS is more active now than for a long time. I expect conversation to be lively when the script books start coming out, too.
                      Yeah. Too bad delivery will probably take quite a while so that I won't be able to jump right into the discussion. Ah, well, the drawbacks of living in europe

Comment

BTW, kinda strange that no one else mentioned that. Am I the only one who noticed it?
                        I just sort of scanned it for new information since I'd seen it already. But, yeah, sometimes he misspeaks/mistypes. You should see him at a convention. His mouth sometimes has trouble keeping up with his thoughts.

As for time lags, I imagine conversation will be going on for a while with each volume. Don't be afraid to ressurect threads if you have something new to say.

I'm hoping everybody enjoys the scripts the way I always have. I'm quite sure there's going to be a wave of watching while reading. That's a lot of fun.

Jan

Comment

Originally posted by Jan
                          But, yeah, sometimes he misspeaks/mistypes. You should see him at a convention. His mouth sometimes has trouble keeping up with his thoughts.
                          Wish I could see him at a convention someday. He was scheduled for a con in germany about a year ago, but then there was some trouble with the verification of his appearance. Too bad...

Originally posted by Jan
                          As for time lags, I imagine conversation will be going on for a while with each volume. Don't be afraid to ressurect threads if you have something new to say.
                          Oh, I will

Originally posted by Jan
                          I'm hoping everybody enjoys the scripts the way I always have. I'm quite sure there's going to be a wave of watching while reading. That's a lot of fun.
                          I will definitely watch the whole series again as soon as the script books arrive. I'll watch the show (in german), then read the script, then rewatch it again (in english). Can't wait to see the show again!

Comment

Remember when you wrote:

Well I just hope he doesn't get pissed because some know-it-all newbie has to poke on some possible mistakes in his latest script announcements *lol*. F.e. he wrote that the 15th volume would include an early draft of "Midnight on the firing line", but I think he meant "And the sky, full of stars", which was mentioned when he announced the script books for the first time. And he seems to have forgotten the production draft of "The Gathering" in his latest message, so I asked if he was mistaken or if the content of the free volume has changed.
                            I prognosticate that your post will probably show up soon because JMS just posted:

Originally posted by JMS
                            BTW, I mis-spoke myself in an earlier note...I meant to say that volume 15 has the alternate "Sky Full of Stars" script, not "Midnight on the
                            Firing Line." I had a senior moment....
                            ...which of course will make your post look a day late and a dollar short. Did I mention that some people have taken to date/time stamping their posts?

Yep, should be any time now...welcome to rastb5m.

Jan

Comment

Originally posted by Jan
                              ...which of course will make your post look a day late and a dollar short.
                              Yeah, just saw it. Great, just great .

And of course, if I write another message after my old one got posted, where I state that I wrote my note a couple of days ago, THAT AGAIN will take about a week to show up there and thus will be outdated once it appears.

I really consider posting in about every thread just to get past the 20-message-count *lol*

Comment

Working...
                              X