• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DougO
    replied
    Originally posted by Jan
    I'm sure Doug will be able to fix it.Jan
    The email notification problem should now be fixed. Please let me know if you experience any further problems.

Thanks,

-DougO

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    All part of the service! I tested it myself this morning from a different email and didn't get a confirmation email either. I'm sure Doug will be able to fix it. I'm glad your friend had you to let us know!

Jan

Leave a comment:

• alex_t
    replied
    Originally posted by Jan
    I've sent Doug an email to see if he can find out what's wrong.

Jan
    Thank you!

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Originally posted by alex_t
    Well, he still did not get a confirmation mail and I suspect that he will not exactly in the mood to get a new e-mail...

DougO! We cry for help! I know, you can activate borgir!
    I've sent Doug an email to see if he can find out what's wrong.

Jan

Leave a comment:

• alex_t
    replied
    Well, he still did not get a confirmation mail and I suspect that he will not exactly in the mood to get a new e-mail...

DougO! We cry for help! I know, you can activate borgir!

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Well, he registered today (borgir) but did not get an confirmation e-mail...
    Hmm...gotta admit it's been so long since I registered I didn't even remember that part. I can see 'borgir' welcomed on the Forum Index page but don't see that name in the member list. Can he try again or maybe we can ask DougO to see what needs to be done.

Jan

Leave a comment:

• alex_t
    replied
    Originally posted by Jan
    We'll look forward to meeting him!
    Well, he registered today (borgir) but did not get an confirmation e-mail...

Leave a comment:

• Radhil
    replied
    Don't start. Please. I have enough threads to dodge.

Leave a comment:

• Dr Maturin
    replied
    Originally posted by Jan
    I think the message that the episode was meant to send was that one shouldn't just accept *any* one source but to be skeptical of all of them.
    And if there were no FNC or RIGHT WING RADIO, we'd never hear about any of it. Maybe in rags that get little national dispersal, but nothing that's viewed by a large audience.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Originally posted by Alex_T
    His reaction to "The Illusion of Truth" - it's Fox News!
    Originally posted by Z'ha'dumDweller
    More like CBS, Newsweek and the New York Times. FNC may have a conservative slant, but at least they tell the truth.
    I think the point is that every news source, paper, video, audio, whatever-o has a specific point of view that will be the basis on which all stories are based. There simply is no such thing as an unbiased news source and really never has been. Once upon a time those sources were more up-front about their core stance on things but nowadays they're not. It takes a lot of thinking and willingness to explore other sources to form a point of view that's the basis for, as Harlan Ellison would say, an "...*informed* opinion".

I think the message that the episode was meant to send was that one shouldn't just accept *any* one source but to be skeptical of all of them.

And we now return you to your regularly scheduled comic thread...

Jan

Leave a comment:

• Dr Maturin
    replied
    More like CBS, Newsweek and the New York Times. FNC may have a conservative slant, but at least they tell the truth.

Who'd've thought that JMS would prognosticate Dan Randall's real life analog forging documents to create a story?

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    It?
    Sure, wouldn't want to be 'species-ist' around here, would we?

"The convert" is my co-worker, he's a huge fan of "Firefly" and seems to hate "Star Trek" (who doesn't? ). He shown me A LOT of good recent TV-shows ("Firefly", "Dead Like Me", "4400", "Lost", etc) which are now among my favorites (but Babylon 5 is #1 - nothing/noone will ever change it ) - so I felt like responding with my favorites and Babylon 5 was the first (of course!). Next I will try "Crusade", "Twin Peaks" and "Wonderfalls".
    Nothing like turning folks on to the things that turn you on, eh?

1. I basically guided process for the first season. He was quite interested starting from (I think) the end of the first season and totally hooked by the time of "Messages from Earth" / "Point of No Return" / "Severed Dreams" triptich.

2. I recommended to skip about a half of the first season - it's very radical, but since he dislikes Star Trek I had to temporarily cover "Trekkish" moments of the early B5. The order was:

> The Gathering (he hated it, too 80's in style)
    > Midnight on the Firing Line (quite neutral reaction)
    > Soul Hunter (this one wasn't in my "recommended" list, he tried it himself and didn't like)
    > The Parliament of Dreams (the first episode he liked, especially Londo part I think)
    > Mind War
    > And The Sky Full Of Stars
    > Signs and Portents
    > Legacies
    > A Voice in the Wilderness 1/2
    > Babylon Squared
    > The Quality of Mercy (do not remember, but I think it was in the list)
    > Chrysalis
    After that the only episode that I recommended to skip was "Grey 17 Is Missing"
    Whew! For a second I misread and thought you'd had him skip 'Sign and Portents'! I 'make' my converts commit to the whole first season but if they react badly to 'The Gathering' I show them 'In the Beginning' even with all the spoiling things just so they can see how good it gets.

3. He's somewhere in the 5th season now. I think I will show this forum to him next week - I don't think discussing someone's viewing without his knowledge is good
    We'll look forward to meeting him! If he posts, that is...so many lurkers...<waves> Hi, Lurkers! C'mon in, the posting's fine!

Jan

Leave a comment:

• alex_t
    replied

Leave a comment:

• alex_t
    replied
    Originally posted by Jan
    Cool! Are you able to follow along watching with him/her/it? It's fun to see what insights they have and help tease them along. Any chance they might be persuaded to post?
    It?

"The convert" is my co-worker, he's a huge fan of "Firefly" and seems to hate "Star Trek" (who doesn't? ). He shown me A LOT of good recent TV-shows ("Firefly", "Dead Like Me", "4400", "Lost", etc) which are now among my favorites (but Babylon 5 is #1 - nothing/noone will ever change it ) - so I felt like responding with my favorites and Babylon 5 was the first (of course!). Next I will try "Crusade", "Twin Peaks" and "Wonderfalls".

1. I basically guided process for the first season. He was quite interested starting from (I think) the end of the first season and totally hooked by the time of "Messages from Earth" / "Point of No Return" / "Severed Dreams" triptich.

2. I recommended to skip about a half of the first season - it's very radical, but since he dislikes Star Trek I had to temporarily cover "Trekkish" moments of the early B5. The order was:

> The Gathering (he hated it, too 80's in style)
    > Midnight on the Firing Line (quite neutral reaction)
    > Soul Hunter (this one wasn't in my "recommended" list, he tried it himself and didn't like)
    > The Parliament of Dreams (the first episode he liked, especially Londo part I think)
    > Mind War
    > And The Sky Full Of Stars
    > Signs and Portents
    > Legacies
    > A Voice in the Wilderness 1/2
    > Babylon Squared
    > The Quality of Mercy (do not remember, but I think it was in the list)
    > Chrysalis
    After that the only episode that I recommended to skip was "Grey 17 Is Missing"

3. He's somewhere in the 5th season now. I think I will show this forum to him next week - I don't think discussing someone's viewing without his knowledge is good

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied

I too had a convert (my first, to B5) several weeks ago
    Cool! Are you able to follow along watching with him/her/it? It's fun to see what insights they have and help tease them along. Any chance they might be persuaded to post?

And there is no second thing, it was originally planned as:
    It is no typical "superhero" story, and the only thing I don't like is look of the men (quite similar to some other monsters I've seen somewhere else).

I first started typing that there are two things - then realized that there is no second thing that I don't like, corrected the text but forgot to replace "two" with "only". Silly me (I just woke up at that time).
    Ah, gotcha. I need to reread MN again soon. It's one of those items that you notice new things each time you read.

Jan

Leave a comment:

Working...
X